Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

1 minute ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

What are the 10 largest IMAX screen in North America?

I don't have a top 10 list but from looking at various locations on LF Examiner, most of them are in the same range of 59-64 feet tall. There are four that stand out above the others: NYC Lincoln Square is around 76 feet tall, SF Metreon is around 75 feet tall, Ontario (California, not Canada) Palace is around 68 feet tall, and Irvine Spectrum is around 68 feet tall. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

So the short, silly version of the story is that I flew to San Francisco yesterday to see DUNKIRK in 70mm IMAX. 

The slightly longer, more rational version of the story is I flew to San Francisco yesterday to visit my parents and then I took my dad to see DUNKIRK in 70mm IMAX. 

Cool. I remember going to Metreon all the time when I lived in SF a while back.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I don't have a top 10 list but from looking at various locations on LF Examiner, most of them are in the same range of 59-64 feet tall. There are four that stand out above the others: NYC Lincoln Square is around 76 feet tall, SF Metreon is around 75 feet tall, Ontario (California, not Canada) Palace is around 68 feet tall, and Irvine Spectrum is around 68 feet tall. 

How tall is the Great Clips IMAX at the Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I used to go to school just down the street from it, back when it was still the Sony Metreon. Saw FOTR and TTT there, among others. 

The biggest movie (and coincidentally  last as well) I remember seeing there was SW7 and my god it was amazing. 

When Rey lighted up the saber, the entire theater erupted in hooting and hollering.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I used to go to school just down the street from it, back when it was still the Sony Metreon. Saw FOTR and TTT there, among others. 

So it was around in the 1890's?

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

48 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Keep in mind that the exchange rates now are far worse than during the Shrek time. So the DM franchise would have made a lot more overseas if it was in the 2000s exchange rate (Russia and the UK alone would have added hundreds of millions across the 4 films). It would have beaten it in all cases and that's with 4 films only - compared to 5 for Shrek

Im not so sure about the "hundreds of millions more". Sure, the exchange rates now are shitty in many movie markts but Latin America and Asia just werent that big in the 2000s and are exploding right now. Also, Shreks numbers DOM are staggering adjusted. The first one adjusts to 420M and the second one to 631M - thats a feat that no animated movie will ever reach again i think. Even the 441M unadjusted number wasnt beat for 12 years!

DM is defiently the top tier-animated franchise of this decade. But its still behind Shrek.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/the-dark-tower-detroit-kidnap-weak-summer-box-office-weekend-1202143411/

1.). The Dark Tower (SONY/MRC), 3,451 theaters / $7.7M Fri. (includes $1.8M  previews) /$6.75M Sat/ $5M Sun/ 3-day cume: $19.5M /Wk 1

2.) Dunkirk (WB), 4,014 theaters (+266)/ $5M Fri.  /$7.3M Sat/$5.3M Sun/ 3-day cume: $17.6M (-34%)/Total: $133.6M/Wk 3

3.). The Emoji Movie (SONY), 4,075 theaters (0) / $3.9M Fri.  /$4.9M Sat/$3.6M Sun 3-day cume: $12.35M (-50%) /Total: $49.45M/Wk 2

4). Girls Trip (UNI), 2,582 theaters (-66) / $3.6M Fri.  /$4.7M Sat/$3.1M  Sun/ 3-day cume: $11.4M (-42%)/Total: $85.4M/Wk 3

5.). Kidnap (AVR), 2,378 theaters / $3.7M Fri. (includes $500K previews) /$3.6M Sat/ $2.9M Sun/ 3-day cume: $10.2M /Wk 1

6). Spider-Man: Homecoming (SONY/MARVEL), 3,116 theaters (-509)/ $2.6M Fri. /$3.6M Sat/$2.6M Sun/ 3-day cume: $8.8M (-34%)/Total: $294.9M/Wk 5

7). Atomic Blonde (FOC), 3,326 theaters (+22)/ $2.4M Fri. /$3.4M Sat/ $2.4M Sun/ 3-day cume: $8.2M (-55%) /Total $34.1M/Wk 2

8). Detroit (ANPA), 3007 theaters (+2987) / $2.6M Fri./$2.6M Sat/$2M Sun/n 3-day cume: $7.25M (+1971%)/Total: $7.8M/Wk 2

9.) War for the Planet of the Apes (FOX), 2,704 theaters (-670) / $1.7M Fri. /$2.5M Sat/$1.8M Sun/ 3-day cume: $6M (-43%) /Total: $130.3M/Wk 4

10). Despicable Me 3 (UNI/ILL), 2,445 theaters (-585) / $1.7M Fri. /$2.2M Sat/ Sun/ 3-day cume: $5.3M (-30%) /Total: $240.8M/ Wk 6

Notables:

Step (FSL), 29 theaters / $54k Fri. /$54K Sat/$37K Sun/PTA:$5k/ 3-day cume: $145k /Wk 1

Wind River (TWC), 4 theaters / $52k Fri. /$64K Sat/ $48K Sun/PTA:$41k/ 3-day cume: $164k /Wk 1

An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power (PAR), 180 theaters (+176) / $350k Fri. /$342K Sat/$208K  Sun/ 3-day cume: $900K (+621%) /Total: $1.05M/Wk 2

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Im not so sure about the "hundreds of millions more". Sure, the exchange rates now are shitty in many movie markts but Latin America and Asia just werent that big in the 2000s and are exploding right now. Also, Shreks numbers DOM are staggering adjusted. The first one adjusts to 420M and the second one to 631M - thats a feat that no animated movie will ever reach again i think. Even the 441M unadjusted number wasnt beat for 12 years!

DM is defiently the top tier-animated franchise of this decade. But its still behind Shrek.

That's domestically but WW, I would disagree with you. DM beat Shrek by a mile:)

Anyways the adjusted versus unajusted calculations will always be speculation because the OS grosses of both franchises aren't adjysted for inflation.

A huge milestone for DM franchise today. Deserves celebration.

Edited by MinaTakla

1 minute ago, MinaTakla said:

That's domestically but WW, I would disagree with you. DM beat Shrek by a mile:)

In 2 or 3 years, our discussion would be obsolete :D. With 900M+ worldwide, Universal wont stop milking this franchise.

Shrek is done i think? Are there rumors or news about Shrek 5?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Dp you know what's the largest IMAX screen? Any country...

Currently it's Melbourne, Australia which is slightly taller and slightly wider than NYC Lincoln Square.

But for a long, long time it was Darling Harbour in Sydney, Australia. They have it closed currently because of a big hotel complex they are building on the site. They will re-open the IMAX screen in a few years and it will once again be the largest in the world. Darling Harbour was 97 feet tall. That's right, about 21-22 feet taller than NYC Lincoln Square and SF Metreon. :o

• Like 3

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

It's getting remodeled, but it's the IMAX in Sydney. It's something like 130'x100' (going off memory).

F*ck America is slacking...We need to get Regal/AMC/IMAX to build one bigger...

Make America Great Again!

• Like 2

Just now, Brainbug said:

In 2 or 3 years, our discussion would be obsolete :D. With 900M+ worldwide, Universal wont stop milking this franchise.

Shrek is done i think? Are there rumors or news about Shrek 5?

Minions 2 is confirmed for 2020. There were rumors of Shrek 5, which may or may not happen, given that it's not on the schedule so far. With Uni buying Dreamworks, I don't know if it will happen. It was pulled from Box office mojo's schedule last year. 

Actually Ice Age benefited the most btw from the exchange rate even more than Shrek. OS exchange rates were so kind to it in 2009 and 2012 that it added over 400m to its totals in these 2 years compared to now's exchange rates. Today Ice age would have never crossed 2.3B.

• Like 3