filmlover

Best Director 2017

Both this and Actress have a "consensus 5" that seems pretty set in stone, but something doesn't feel right here. I can't think of any statistics that are going against Actress; maybe this is the first time every nominee is from a BP nominee? Even then, Robbie fills the newcomer slot, and SAG won't be going 5/5 because of Streep. Like I said earlier, Director has the "all first-time nominees" thing that's somewhat of a red flag; it's happened before but only 3 times/3% of ceremonies. DGA going 5/5 isn't as rare as SAG categories, but 4/5 is typically the way it goes. Lady Bird and Get Out are still top 4 contenders, so it'd make perfect sense for both Peele and Gerwig to get in. Something just isn't right.

Edited by WrathOfHan

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Maybe that gives PTA or Villeneuve more reason for a nomination than the Berg or Guadagnino? :ph34r: 

Villenueve deserves it more than everyone except for GDT which is one of the reasons why this award season has been so damn frustrating 

I'll be praying for this 2% chance to happen 

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Something just isn't right.

You can apply this to multiple categories this year. It's been a strange season. Every movie appears "weak" except for Three Billboards, and even that doesn't feel as set in stone as La La Land appeared to be at this same exact point last year.

Edited by filmlover

5 hours ago, BardCrank said:

Villenueve deserves it more than everyone except for GDT which is one of the reasons why this award season has been so damn frustrating 

I'll be praying for this 2% chance to happen 

Villenueve is so overrated. Priosoners was okay,  Arrival was ok at best, sicario was quite good and blade runner was quite good. None of his films are good enough for rewards 

To say he deserves it more than Nolan only shows your lack of film knowledge

Edited by Mrwick

1 hour ago, Mrwick said:

Villenueve is so overrated. Priosoners was okay,  Arrival was ok at best, sicario was quite good and blade runner was quite good. None of his films are good enough for rewards 

To say he deserves it more than Nolan only shows your lack of film knowledge

Defending Nolan AND calling other directors overrated in one post 
Well done my friend 

having not even seen shape yet i'd prefer del toro to win over nolan because i'm actually more confident in the latter coming back for more shots in the future. i think gdt hits higher highs for me but he's also a lot more inconsistent so you never know.

I was mostly right with my prediction. PTA was the surprise nom that I didn't see coming but a pleasant surprise regardless. Guadagnino not being nominated isn't shocking. Glad to see Peele got a nom. The other three I was fairly confident with and am glad to see them all nominated.

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

having not even seen shape yet i'd prefer del toro to win over nolan because i'm actually more confident in the latter coming back for more shots in the future. i think gdt hits higher highs for me but he's also a lot more inconsistent so you never know.

Nolan has the game down. He just needs to keep losing and losing until they give him lifetime achievement award.

The average number of noms of BD winners in the past 8 years is 11 

only 2 movies won BD with less than 10 noms ( 9 for Birdman and Hurt locker but they were both the most nominated and were undeniable BP winners of their years ) 

Bad news for Nolan fans 

5 minutes ago, BardCrank said:

The average number of noms of BD winners in the past 8 years is 11 

only 2 movies won BD with less than 10 noms ( 9 for Birdman and Hurt locker but they were both the most nominated and were undeniable BP winners of their years ) 

Bad news for Nolan fans 

The hurt locker was not an undeniable best picture winner at all. There were multiple nominees more deserving.

18 minutes ago, Mrwick said:

The hurt locker was not an undeniable best picture winner at all. There were multiple nominees more deserving.

It won PGA , DGA , WGA and BAFTA along with a few million other awards 

The race was over long before the oscars were given 

1 minute ago, BardCrank said:

It won PGA , DGA , WGA and BAFTA along with a few million other awards 

The race was over long before the oscars were given 

It was your typical hollywood propaganda movie where Americans are simply the best whilst British SAS soldiers are made to look like mindless idiots in a desert. Inglorious bastards was better. District 9 was better and hell james cameron deserved a best picture statue seeing as he spent the best part of 4 years working 15 hours a day to make the thing.

ZDT > THL

21 minutes ago, Mrwick said:

It was your typical hollywood propaganda movie where Americans are simply the best whilst British SAS soldiers are made to look like mindless idiots in a desert. Inglorious bastards was better. District 9 was better and hell james cameron deserved a best picture statue seeing as he spent the best part of 4 years working 15 hours a day to make the thing.

ZDT > THL

I never said it was the most deserving , my personal favorite that year was Up in the Air 

but it was a winner long before the ceremony 

• Like 1