filmlover

Best Director 2017

Pretty much I think DGA goes 5/5, The Florida Project really flopped with the guilds (and so I think Dafoe is close to losing his lead as a frontrunner) so Baker won’t make a surprise showing.

Further, the only real alternatives are Guadagino (who hasn’t shown up yet), Spielberg (The Post is barely holding on though, so doubtful), or maybe Villeneuve or Scott (in a foxcatcher like nomination) but I’m also doubtful there.

6 hours ago, New Year New Panda said:

Pretty much I think DGA goes 5/5, The Florida Project really flopped with the guilds (and so I think Dafoe is close to losing his lead as a frontrunner) so Baker won’t make a surprise showing.

Further, the only real alternatives are Guadagino (who hasn’t shown up yet), Spielberg (The Post is barely holding on though, so doubtful), or maybe Villeneuve or Scott (in a foxcatcher like nomination) but I’m also doubtful there.

Guadagnino is the one most likely to pull a Lenny Abrahamson/Benh Zeitlin IMO. But at whose expense is the question.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Guadagnino is the one most likely to pull a Lenny Abrahamson/Benh Zeitlin IMO. But at whose expense is the question.

honestly if anyone's out i think it's nolan. as much of a "look at all this directing i'm doing" movie as it is it's not really in the conversation rn as much as all the other big players. easy to fall behind.

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm thinking Peele is gonna be the one that gets snubbed Tuesday morning (and Guadagnino takes his place). Get Out clearly isn't very strong (and is likely to go home empty-handed at this point).

>Get Out isn't strong

>Predicts Peele to get snubbed by a director from a much weaker film

If Peele or Gerwig get snubbed, it'll be for a previous nominee. The DGA lineup/consensus 5 is made up of first time nominees in the category, which has only happened three times excluding the first year:

In order, I'd say the previous nominees with a shot at getting in are Spielberg (who's my alt and I might drop Gerwig for), PTA (anywhere from 7-9th), Villeneuve (10th), and Scott (11th)

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

>Get Out isn't strong

>Predicts Peele to get snubbed by a director from a much weaker film

CMBYN is arguably #6 in the race at this point. Guadagnino got in at BAFTA too. He makes total sense as a surprise nominee, more than Spielberg (The Post getting snubbed from Best Picture is more likely to happen than him getting a Best Director nom).