WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

17 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Downsizing is creating a world on a tiny scale and mixing it with the normal world. Wonder if some technical nods will go their way.

Also, give Franco an acting nod for The Disaster Artist :lol:. Would be fitting : Wiseau acts like camel balls but the guy playing him gets an academy nod.

Downsizing has been seen at all of the major fall festivals so far. Reaction out of Venice was fairly positive, but TIFF and Telluride have not been kind at all. 

Franco's chances are steadily increasing!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

There was nothing challenging about Arrival Now mother! Is challenging. 

I completely disagree with this. Arrival puts you in a a womans shoes and asks the audience that if you knew something was going to end badly would it still be worth experiencing? Would the joys be worth the pain? It's the whole human experience and had so much to say about the concept of language and how we use it.

mother! goes a completely different route and isn't hopeful at all. The message it ends at can be seen in multiple documentaries about overpopulation and religion. You expect it to say something more after that but no, that's where the credits roll.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Now mother! is challenging. 

Not in the same way as something as Black Swan or Whiplash which are about perfection and what we will go to, to achieve it.

A Ghost Story made me think a lot more about existence than mother did (except that one over the top exposition dump at the party). I walked out of that kind of stunned.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I completely disagree with this. Arrival puts you in a a womans shoes and asks the audience that if you knew something was going to end badly would it still be worth experiencing? Would the joys be worth the pain? It's the whole human experience and had so much to say about the concept of language and how we use it.

mother! goes a completely different route and isn't hopeful at all. The message it ends at can be seen in multiple documentaries about overpopulation and religion. You expect it to say something more after that but no, that's where the credits roll.

Arrival was unoriginal. I enjoyed it, because I love the sci-fi genre, but I couldn't care much of it halfway through. It's a decent film, but not much to write home about. Amy Adams wasn't snubbed at the Oscar, she was better in Nocturnal Animals IMO.

The message of mother! isn't unique, but the way it was presented was. Plus the claustrophobic camerawork really made it an uneasy watch. You really wanna hate it, but can't help falling in love with it. JLaw might grab her 5th Oscar nom (at the age of 27!!!).

Again, A Ghost Story is in my top 5 of the year so far. Sits high up with Dunkirk, Get Out, Detroit and Life (most underrated film of the year).

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 2

Loving this It box office run!!!

Annabelle:Creation joining the 100m club, nice!

American Assassin did decent!

I read spoilers about mother! and that box office performance is not surprising at all!

Edited by forg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Alli said:

This is false imo. if the studios believed JL had no box office power, they wouldn't have paid her 20M for a movie

Studios believing in star power is not exactly as the same star power actually being relevant to a films success, though.

6 hours ago, MattW said:

I remember the thursday preview number coming in and being completely floored, then a 3.77 multiplier after all was said and done.... 

Maybe my expectations were way below everyone else's, idk.

It definitely blew away my expectations. Helps that it had great reviews & was released around Christmas too.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, straggler said:

Star power? I'd say the definition of of it is Jlaw pulling off an Oscar caliber performance in a film with an F Cinemascore. Even Grace Randolf thinks so. 

That's not star power. That's called talent. There's a difference. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, straggler said:

Star power? I'd say the definition of of it is Jlaw pulling off an Oscar caliber performance in a film with an F Cinemascore. Even Grace Randolf thinks so. 

16 minutes ago, Nova said:

That's not star power. That's called talent. There's a difference. 

True. Star power would be an actor having an off day, acting badly in a bad film, but opening it to a respectable number (and then the film crashing after a good ow if it has to).

But I don't think JLaw has lost even little of her power. I blame the combination of :

1. release date

2. some bad luck (no one could see IT doing this well)

3. the decision to market it as a horror (not from the ethics standpoint. Putting that aside for now).

Cause then you are selling a horror film in IT's 2nd weekend which is 60m+ direct competition. A:C just released and was already a 95+ horror film before Mother! released. So between IT and A:C horror had already sold 250m+ worth of tickets by Thursday. And in their shadow you have an indie looking horror film with an actress who is probably preferred for more aggressive and outspoken characters.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, straggler said:

Yes. But if and when a film like this hits it is due to that talent. 

But this film didn't hit....clearly. And I'm not talking from a did I like it or did I not like it standpoint. I'm not talking from the standpoint that you're saying Jlaw has star power and that's why this movie hit....well it's box office is saying otherwise. It didn't hit. 

Either way, I dont know what you're trying to argue but star power doesn't equal talent, nor does talent equal star power. There are many actors and actresses who are extremely talented and fly under the radar. There are also plenty of actors and actresses who aren't nearly as talented and yet are really well known. 

Jennifer Lawrence is extremely talented so she doesn't have to worry about a damn thing going forward. 

• Like 3

Hoping that IT can go up 40% for ~27m Saturday. 

(that locks 60+ weekend cause it would be only 14 away from 60 or a sub-48% Sun drop away after 27 Sat)

Edited by a2knet

1 minute ago, Frozen said:

I really liked mother! although I'm confused as to why it cost $35 million. Looked more like a $15 million movie to me. Also I'm glad I read spoilers before seeing it as I understood it a lot better. 

Jennifer Lawrence got $15 million for it according to reports. Take away her salary and there's the $15 million movie you're talking about. 

• Like 2