That One Girl

Paul, Apostle of Christ | March 28, 2018 | Sony

• Community Manager
On 9/21/2017 at 12:59 PM, slambros said:

While it has been happening for a long time, that still doesn't excuse such practice from people's scrutiny, and it doesn't mean I can't be disappointed at the notion of the practice. 

I would rather have Christian films be made by people like Kirk Cameron- even without the quality, the heart is truly into it, and it usually shines through no matter how technically lacking the overall product is.

If you would like to see what a better film by a devout believer would look like, I challenge you to see the recent theatrical release All Saints. That is a very well made film!

I don't defend bad Christian films just because there's a lot of "heart" in them. They were done for the glory of God? Okay, well that's even worse then. If you are doing something for the glory of God and you turn in a substandard product, you are not honoring God. Christian films should have a higher standard than secular films, not the other way around.

• Like 1

These faith based movie threads are always gold. 

While I believe anyone has a right to write and film fiction, I also believe religious people should have an obligation to write and film fiction,  which I also believe they are already doing. 

31 minutes ago, langer said:

These faith based movie threads are always gold. 

While I believe anyone has a right to write and film fiction, I also believe religious people should have an obligation to write and film fiction,  which I also believe they are already doing. 

So religious filmmakers aren't allowed to touch narrative features based on a true story such as 12 Years a Slave, Schindler's List, Apollo 13, 127 Hours, United 93, Erin Brockovich, Argo, and such?

32 minutes ago, slambros said:

So religious filmmakers aren't allowed to touch narrative features based on a true story such as 12 Years a Slave, Schindler's List, Apollo 13, 127 Hours, United 93, Erin Brockovich, Argo, and such?

No they are not.  There is a law against that. 

29 minutes ago, langer said:

No they are not.  There is a law against that. 

Well, Steven Spielberg is Jewish, so it's well beyond time for the authorities to arrest the most prominent filmmaker of our time for breaking the law, as you jokingly suggest.

Edit: I realize that I'm wording my responses strongly, and I do apologize for that. As a film enthusiast, I do take freedom of creative expression very seriously.

Edited by slambros

1 hour ago, slambros said:

Well, Steven Spielberg is Jewish, so it's well beyond time for the authorities to arrest the most prominent filmmaker of our time for breaking the law, as you jokingly suggest.

Edit: I realize that I'm wording my responses strongly, and I do apologize for that. As a film enthusiast, I do take freedom of creative expression very seriously.

I was just kidding.  I take joking very seriously. 

On 11/15/2017 at 11:11 PM, raegr said:

Great! Another biblical story set in north-eastern Africa/middle east that stars white males with blue and green eyes. 

Very accurate. 

Blue-eyes are rare in the Middle East, but green eyes most definitely aren't. Also, plenty of Middle Easterns are white in colour. That's nothing new. However, the pasty white of the Jesus shown today and throughout history is ridiculous.

Real problem is faith based filmmakers seem to have problems making films that appeal to anybody beyond their base. Last one to do that was Mel Gibson (before his fall from grace) with "Passion Of The Christ".

I am beginning to that joke from the 1950's that it takes a Jew to make a good movie about the early days of Christinity since "Quo Vadis""The Robe" and "Ben Hur" all had Jewish directors.

39 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Blue-eyes are rare in the Middle East, but green eyes most definitely aren't. Also, plenty of Middle Easterns are white in colour. That's nothing new. However, the pasty white of the Jesus shown today and throughout history is ridiculous.

However the ethnic of the Mideast in ancient times was a lot different then it is nowdays......

56 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Can confirm. Lebanese descent, tons of green eyes in the family.