WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think the biggest takeaway for studios is that releasing two animated films in one year can cause fatigue among audiences. DWA had a success with Boss Baby but a underperformer with CU, WAG had a hit with Lego Batman but Ninjago isn't off to a great start and none of SPA's films have cracked $100m this year. I think cutting back to 1 film a year for every studio would benefit everyone 

This should be the case for any animation studio. Too many animated films a year tends to flood-up the market. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Not quite sure what critics saw that was bad in Kingsman that I didn't.  If you loved the first one like I did, then you'll probably love this.  It's fucking great.

Forget it That One Guy, it's critics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

This should be the case for any animation studio. Too many animated films a year tends to flood-up the market. 

DWA learnt that the hard way, I am worried that Universal releasing 4-5 films from Illumination, DWA and Laika in a single year could be more harm than good. WAG should do 1 film a year and alternate between original, Lego and WB IPs which they seem be doing for their next few films anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

On the contrary, I believe it's more of an off year like 2010 and 2011. 2010 was a big year for animation while 2011 took a big fall. Like 2016 was big and 2017 is falling apart.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

DWA learnt that the hard way, I am worried that Universal releasing 4-5 films from Illumination, DWA and Laika in a single year could be more harm than good. WAG should do 1 film a year and alternate between original, Lego and WB IPs which they seem be doing for their next few films anyway. 

2020 seems big for them. All of Universal's animated movies are sequels. One in Spring (Trolls 2), One in Summer (Minions 2), One in Fall (Croods 2) and One for the Winter (Sing 2) Each can do $200M/$600M. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

I bet it gets below 90%+ simply because of its retread nature. Saw the most recent trailer and although it's the best one yet, it still looks like why bother when we had Book of Life already?

It looks like it could in a very different direction though. I wouldn't write it off just yet anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

On the contrary, I believe it's more of an off year like 2010 and 2011. 2010 was a big year for animation while 2011 took a big fall. Like 2016 was big and 2017 is falling apart.

I mean in regards to studios releasing too many animated films, like Dreamworks does. This year has just been mediocre for animation in general so far though. 

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Universal is definitely going "overboard" with the animated films. I sure hope they at least limit their Dreamworks titles to one a year, at least.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

I think it's just an off year. Disney-Pixar had 3 big movies last year, Universal had 2 smashes with Pets and Sing even DWA had two hits with Panda 3 and Trolls.

And to be fair to DWA, Captain Underpants is sort of a lowkey release for them,  maybe because it's the last FOX distributon. It has a small budget as well so I think it's gross is still pretty solid

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I don't have any complaints about the length at all.  The film is very well paced and not a moment is boring or uninteresting.

Just got back from a showing and also enjoyed it as did the friend I went with.  The crowd really liked it too, lots of laughter. This is a comic book put to live action...people need to stop judging it as if it were meant as an artsy drama.  Personally enjoyed it more than the first though I'd say the first is a better movie.  This one was funnier though.

• Like 1