WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

No I like the first one a lot, but you're the only person I've seen who's outright raving it; pretty much everyone else is meh on it.

If it matters, I enjoyed the film quite a bit. Not as much as TOG, but I think the hate for it is a touch undeserved, as it offers a lot of the things that made the first film great, with some likable new elements and characters. It's nowhere near as good as the first one, and I may be biased because I loved the first film more than most, but I still think Kingsman 2 was a fun time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

DWA had an awful 2013 and 2014 wasn't great either but they managed to recover somewhat in the last few years. Sony Pictures Animation is going to finish 2017 is no films that grossed over $100m domestically, for an animation studio that's not good.

no denying that. but they kept the budgets low and globally both the films have done well,

smurfs3 : 45 + 152.2 = 197.2m (60m budget) ... big disappointment dom and a big drop os too.

emoji: 84.6 + 101.2 = 185.8m and counting (50m budget) ... ww will go over 200m. added 15m os in the last 7 days.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Battle of the Sexes will be expanding to 1,200 theaters next weekend.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-kingsman-it-lego-ninjago-friend-request-1202569299/

My AMC got Gifted in its first expansion of 1,100 theaters, so hopefully that's the case here. If we're getting the new Pure Flix joint, there's absolutely no reason for us not to get this.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

My AMC got Gifted in its first expansion of 1,100 theaters, so hopefully that's the case here. If we're getting the new Pure Flix joint, there's absolutely no reason for us not to get this.

I wouldn't be surprised if it went even higher to 1,300-400. Theaters have a lot of barely selling movies they're probably eager to get rid of right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it went even higher to 1,300-400. Theaters have a lot of barely selling movies they're probably eager to get rid of right now.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/victoria-and-abdul-stronger-battle-of-the-sexes-specialty-box-office-1202175803/

It also looks like there's another expansion planned for the 6th, so they probably are going the Gifted route. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harley said:

Hope that doesn't backfire. The numbers aren't strong enough IMO.  

$25K from 21 theaters is really good though, and the opening weekend numbers are much higher than what Gifted (another Fox Searchlight title from earlier this year that was more of a mainstream play than an arthouse one) did in 2.5x as many theaters before it went wide. Losing 75% of the PTA would be about a $7-8M weekend, which would be great (and higher than what Flatliners will make in almost twice as many theaters all likelihood).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$25K from 21 theaters is really good though, and the opening weekend numbers are much higher than what Gifted (another Fox Searchlight title from earlier this year that was more of a mainstream play than an arthouse one) did in 2.5x as many theaters before it went wide. Losing 75% of the PTA would be about a $7-8M weekend, which would be great (and higher than what Flatliners will make in almost twice as many theaters all likelihood).

lmao it's really going over Flatliners next weekend, isn't it? GG Sony.

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Variety says it'll expand to 75 theaters next weekend before going "wide" on October 6.

I'm guessing it'll be around 800-900 theaters on the 6th.

• Like 1

Just now, B D Joe said:

Why aren't they putting Kiefer Sutherland in the Flatliners 2017 marketing?  People might've been more interest if they knew he was in it.

He's being shown in overseas ads, but I doubt he'd make much of a difference if any.

7 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

Why aren't they putting Kiefer Sutherland in the Flatliners 2017 marketing?  People might've been more interest if they knew he was in it.

I doubt there would be much interest even if they did. Maybe if they had gotten Julia Roberts to appear.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Artemis Fowl looks like the next "too late to cinemas" franchise. 

Yeah. Making it a Netflix series like A Series of Undortunate Events might be a better strategy. They better do a Maze Runner and keep the budget in the 30m range for the first installment at least