Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I honestly wish WB would win this year. Disney is such a stuck-up snob of a studio, would be nice to see them beaten once in a while.

Stuck up how?

Yes the dominate other studios like Fifty Shades of Disney but they never gloat about it. :sparta:

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

K2 brought a big 50m OS in the 2nd weekend (after 61m OS last weekend) for a cume of 126m. 

Current OS markets alone should take it to 225m.

Then it has France, China, Japan and Argentina to come. Kingsman1 did 74.6m in China, 11m in France 7.5m in Japan. That's 93m from 3 markets (don't know how much in Argentina).

Considering K2 is out-pacing K1 by 53%** in current OS markets, it could bring 125m from those 3 and Argentina.

That takes the OS to 225 + 125 = 350m.

Add to that 100m Dom and it will do 450m WW on a 104m prod budget.

So K1 vs K2 DOM + OS = WW looks like,

128m + 286m = 414m (5.1x the 81m prod budget)

100m + 350m = 450m (4.3x the 104m prod budget)

Huge success, nevermind the meh reception.

Golden Circle continues a strong performance overseas bring in over $50 million this weekend from 77 markets pushing its international cume to $126 million for a global tally reaching $192.9 million, **outpacing the original film by 53% in the same markets at current exchange rates. Still to come, Golden Circle will open in France and Argentina in mid-October, in China on October 20 and not in Japan until January 5.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4330&p=.htm

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Source?  Box office mojo, imdb, the-numbers.com, boxofficeguru and any other site you can do research on.

Collecting box office mojo on thousand of sequels and see the percentage that grew versus declining is a lot of work and not something that can just be felt by looking at 50 of them.

It is a bit useless to bring examples for a question like this (except if it is like 500 of them)

https://contently.com/strategist/2016/04/18/sequel-paradox-11-charts/

These, however, are averages, skewed by a few exceptions. When you look at the median, we find that typical sequels, including remakes, make less money in theaters than the originals.

page2.jpg

It’s important to note that even though sequels usually make less money than their predecessors, they still make a lot more money than the average movie.

page8.jpg

I have read some studies of sequels box office in the past (calculating the impact of the year's break between movies and so on) and I do not remember one that didn't had a sequel doing less than the previous entry more than 50% of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disney needs a three-peat (2016-2018).

They need a record breaking studio accomplishment that can't be easily topped or trivialized.

Since they have a huge void after Infinity War 2 (RDJ/Evans last MCU movie, the end of phase 3) and Star Wars episode 9.

• Sad 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

They need a record breaking studio accomplishment that can't be easily topped or trivialized.

Since they have a huge void after Infinity War 2 (RDJ/Evans last MCU movie, the end of phase 3) and Star Wars episode 9.

Why do you want TOG to suffer so much?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Collecting box office mojo on thousand of sequels and see the percentage that grew versus declining is a lot of work and not something that can just be felt by looking at 50 of them.

It is a bit useless to bring examples for a question like this (except if it is like 500 of them)

https://contently.com/strategist/2016/04/18/sequel-paradox-11-charts/

These, however, are averages, skewed by a few exceptions. When you look at the median, we find that typical sequels, including remakes, make less money in theaters than the originals.

page2.jpg

It’s important to note that even though sequels usually make less money than their predecessors, they still make a lot more money than the average movie.

page8.jpg

I have read some studies of sequels box office in the past (calculating the impact of the year's break between movies and so on) and I do not remember one that didn't had a sequel doing less than the previous entry more than 50% of the time.

Which makes SMH even more impressive. :insane:

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Nah, they need to earn it...they rested this year on franchise sequels and remakes except for one film...it'd be nice to show them that strategy has limits...

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

They need a record breaking studio accomplishment that can't be easily topped or trivialized

How ? why ?....

Box office total does not mean that much, Disney being a studio that finance more by themselve their project can still win the studio box office share without the studio box office total and those type of ranking seem to be some trivial/arbitrary/useless stuff no ? Not something anyone need or help anything in reality.

GM was the top car sellers in the world in 2007 (and pretty much every year before that):

http://oica.net/wp-content/uploads/world-ranking-2007.pdf

Still went into bankruptcy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Which makes SMH even more impressive. :insane:

Those are domestic box office, SMH made significantly less than the original Spider Man and would go into that list of making less I think.

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, they need to earn it...they rested this year on franchise sequels and remakes except for one film...it'd be nice to show them that strategy has limits...

Let's not pretend Universal and WB are wining because of non-fanboy and non-franchise.

In fact, I'd argue it's impossible for a studio to win a year without franchises and fanboys.

Disney's biggest crime is pleasing their various fanbases.

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

If you count it as horror then Signs 

and even the 5th weekend it stayed 1#.

how much would it have done if the twist in the end was actually smarter. cause rest of the movie was brilliantly directed.

17 minutes ago, Barnack said:

How ? why ?....

Box office total does not mean that much, Disney being a studio that finance more by themselve their project can still win the studio box office share without the studio box office total and those type of ranking seem to be some trivial/arbitrary/useless stuff no ? Not something anyone need or help anything in reality.

GM was the top car sellers in the world in 2007 (and pretty much every year before that):

http://oica.net/wp-content/uploads/world-ranking-2007.pdf

Still went into bankruptcy.

Box office for studios is like points for sport teams.

And I thought this was a box office forum. Don't we get excited about box office?

Isn't much more fun to follow Wonder Woman and IT when they break out big?

Since when is that excitement and accomplishment "arbitrary"?

Edited by grey ghost

Disney should have good years to come and they make decent to great movies with Pixar, Marvel and WDAS. Most of their remakes are garbage and inferior to the originals and Star Wars is hit and miss for me. And it's good to see them trying to do originals again (Nicole, Wrinkle In Time and Artemis) But their strategy is borderline monopoly in 2019 especially the Summer, and if what DAJK says is true with their theaters relations I'm kind of disgusted. I mean I'm cool with Disney and have no real beef but I kind of don't want a four peat from 2016-2019. 

Edited by YourMother

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Box office for studios is like points in sport teams.

And I thought this was a box office forum. Don't we get excited about box office?

Isn't much more fun to follow Wonder Woman and IT when they break out big?

Since when is that excitement and accomplishment "arbitrary"?

Nothing about exciting or following box office (or giving it to studio even when they are not really to them like a Bond movie for Sony), the strange part was needing to be number one on that arbitrary factor.

But outside box office fantasy league, Bottom line profit, library value building and franchise establishment > everything else, no ? Specially trivia stuff like ranking.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

If there's a good thing about Disney and releasing at least they aren't making numerous sequels in the future to their animated movies in the next few years or try to do something like 4 animated movies are year like Sony and Universal. Dreamworks slate from 2019-2021 is all sequels except for Everest and Spooky Jack. Illumination is all sequels and an adaptation for the next few years.

Edited by YourMother