Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

Wow... it's crazy to see such a tight battle for the top! When was the last time we saw a set of estimates where the top three could pan out in any order with actuals? The weekend Fight Club opened in 1999? (For context: it was neck-in-neck for the top spot with Double Jeopardy - which was originally estimated at #1 - and The Story of Us.)

I hope It ends up staying at #1 with actuals. The hold is really solid and should set the film up for a total of at least $325 million.

American Made debuted within range of expectations. Tom Cruise no longer has the star power to open something that doesn't have a barrage of computer-generated effects, so a high-teens debut for a dramedy is solid. With strong word-of-mouth, it should be able to withstand Blade Runner and put up a leggy run.

Kingsman 2 got leveled, as expected. As I said yesterday, it's hard to imagine viewers recommending it as enthusiastically as they did the first one. Nevertheless, it should still be on track to at least squeak past $100 million domestically.

Lego Ninjago held up fairly well. Unlike the other two Lego films, it didn't have a holiday weekend to cushion its fall. It's still not performing all that well for its brand, but the limited presence of other family-friendly films in October should carry it for the next several weeks.

Flatliners bombed. Rebooting a 27-year-old movie that never got a sequel in the first place always seemed like an odd move, and not even going the softer PG-13 route could rescue it.

Battle of the Sexes did okay in its expansion. There's not as much room for it to grow as Gifted had in an especially empty late April, but it should still put up decent legs.

I had never even heard of 'Til Death Do Us Part (which looks like a Screen Gems film that Screen Gems somehow didn't produce) or A Question of Faith until this weekend. Their performances and the presence of two sub-$1,000 averages in the top twelve speaks to how weak the box office has been outside of its top performers.

I like Disney and they are number one for a reason. They are successful because they smartly purchased Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm. I wish other studios cared about quality control as much as Disney does. That being said I don't want every studio to be like Disney beyond quality control. I like adult movies and R rated fair. It's fine that Disney solely makes family films but we should not want every studio to follow that lead.

• Like 1

I am really wishing for A Question of Faith to somehow sneak into the Top 10 when actual come in. I think this is still a possibility because Sundays are usually the days when faith-based films perform strong. If it managed to sneak into the list over mother!, I would be extremely happy.

22 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

http://deadline.com/2017/09/tom-cruise-emma-stone-american-made-battle-of-the-sexes-flatliners-weekend-box-office-1202179279/

I suspect it'll finish above 16.55 as the movie has been trending up and over projections all weekend.

Again I see AM moving up from the 17,016,000 they have listed. They already bumped its Friday Projections and I suspect they'll bump Saturday as well and maybe even a slightly smaller dip for Sunday.

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

When was actually the last time that Disney succeded with a non animation original?

I think we could consider Pirates of the Caribbean on the original side of hollywood movies (it was what from a ride ? so pretty much was made for the movie), was the last big Disney live action success outside the studio they bought/live adaptation of animated classic.

Since then, on the live action side, successful:

Enchanted, Saving Mr Banks, Invincible could have went to have a nice home video life, 

Must be forgetting some (like the Proposal), but not many.

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People were so traumatized by WB's comic book movie output last year that they just can't get over the success that the studio is having this year. Personally I want all the studios to do well and yes that includes Sony. I wanted WB to get their act together and I want Sony to get their act together. The fact of the matter is this is not like 2016 for Warner Brothers and there are some people who need to realize that.

After Wonder Woman 's smashing mega-success, I totally want for the DCEU to continue making great CBMs that connect with critics and audiences, and yes, I want Sony to get that also.  MCU will continue doing that, of course, but I want all studios that dip their toes into the CBM waters to get solid results. Why not? It's a golden age for CBMs and the more solid CBMs the better for us CB nerds. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a2knet said:
WAR OF APES

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $146,457,659    30.9%
Foreign:  $327,692,790    69.1%

= Worldwide:  $474,150,449  

480-485M with Japan. Good compared to the 150M prod budget (3.2x) but no spins : big drop from the 700M+ DAWN tally.

There has been a mention that Pirates 5 overseas surpassed Pirates 4 overseas if the exchange rates were the same.  Maybe this means it surpassed in ticket sales too??  I don't know.  They are both such big numbers.  Pirates 4 made 804.6 overseas.  Pirates 5 made 621.6 overseas.  Pirates 5 grossed 77.3% in dollar amount that Pirates 4 grosses overseas.  But suppose this means that when exchange rates are the same that Pirates 5 overseas = Pirates 4 overseas.  Then we look at Apes.

Oh shit.  Now I just saw the problem.  They are in different years.  But I am just going to put the numbers out there anyways.  Dawn of the Apes 502.1 overseas and War of the Apes currently 334.7 overseas.  Currently, it has made 2/3 of Dawn of the Apes overseas.  Domestic it has made 70% of Dawn of the Apes.  I guess the exchange rates crap will have to be revealed at a later date.  (if they decide to reveal it)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Nothing about exciting or following box office (or giving it to studio even when they are not really to them like a Bond movie for Sony), the strange part was needing to be number one on that arbitrary factor.

But outside box office fantasy league, Bottom line profit, library value building and franchise establishment > everything else, no ? Specially trivia stuff like ranking.

We determine what's arbitrary and what isn't.

Just like where a ball goes isn't arbitrary in context of a sports game.

Winning the year is accomplishment based on the competitive battle.  

It's not easy to win the year which makes it exciting as a spectator sport.

And this is less arbitrary than an oscar race based on the subjective opinion of a handful of old farts.

Which studio wins is based on the raw box office might of dozens of multi-million cinematic productions. 

And there have been unexpected upsets and tight races involving megafranchises we love and how many people love them. 

This is more exciting and warrants more of an emotional investment than what a few old white guys give a prize to or where a ball goes.

Edited by grey ghost

In terms of market domination, Disney has some some serious competition from Universal in the animation field. Illumination and Dreamworks can pose as a challenging combination, with each one taking a spot in each season with up to 5 a year (2 from DWA, 1 from OD, and 2 from Illumination). In 2020, Minions 2 can do $900M+, Sing 2 should do around $600M-$650M, Trolls 2 can break out and do Madagascar 2 numbers ($180M/$500M-$600M), and even if Croods 2 has an IA5 like performance except higher DOM ($80M-$100M) but lower OS and does $400M.

WB also has a lot of strong franchises too, DC, Harry Potter, Conjuring, Monsterverse, the IT duology, and other strong performers in the future with franchise potential like Lego 2, Scooby, RPO, Minecraft, Rampage and potentially Bond.

Edited by YourMother

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Winning the year is accomplishment based on the competitive battle.  

But it is not a studio goal to have the biggest box office (biggest profit is), thus having the biggest box office is not really "winning" and that why it is arbitrary to use that metric.

Secondly that metric is deeply flawed, people will for example count Blade Runner for WB or Bond for Sony exactly like they do for a fully studio owned Harry Potter/Minions franchise movie, that is obviously a big problem with using that metric.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

When was actually the last time that Disney succeded with a non animation original?

Found two low-budget affairs that were very profitable (and well appreciated).

Bridge of Spies (2015): 72.3m dom + 93.2m os = 165.5m ww on a 40m prod budget (4.14x)

I know it's an original cause go nominated for Original Screenplay.

Before that Saving Mr. Banks (2013) : 83.3 dom + 34.6m os = 117.9m ww on a 35m prod budget. (3.37x)

Was original as far as I know.

Before that...don't know. Went back till 2010 but couldn't find anything. Lincoln (2012) was based on Team of Rivals but at first thought that was a possibility.

13 minutes ago, YourMother said:

In terms of market domination, Disney has some some serious competition from Universal in the animation field. Illumination and Dreamworks can pose as a challenging combination, with each one taking a spot in each season with up to 5 a year (2 from DWA, 1 from OD, and 2 from Illumination). In 2020, Minions 2 can do $900M+, Sing 2 should do around $600M-$650M, Trolls 2 can break out and do Madagascar 2 numbers ($180M/$500M-$600M), and even if Croods 2 has an IA5 like performance except higher DOM ($80M-$100M) but lower OS and does $400M.

WB also has a lot of strong franchises too, DC, Harry Potter, Conjuring, Monsterverse, the IT duology, and other strong performers in the future with franchise potential like Lego 2, Scooby, RPO, Minecraft, Rampage and potentially Bond.

5 animated films a year is too much for one studio, I’m worried they’ll be animation fatigue soon. 

I don’t see Minecraft or Rampage being huge hits, Minecraft seems like it is coming too late. Scooby should do fine and of course WAG can tap into the other characters in the WB Animation library like Looney Tunes, Flintstones etc as well as things like Bone