Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

14 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I do think they would be wise to release most of these films in February or March though. 

February, occasionally March and early November since DWA is no longer releasing films in that slot for the time being. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

WAG has two critically acclaim films under their belt. It's not like SPA which seems to throwing ideas against the wall whereas WAG has a clear idea what they're doing with a mix of known titles and originals. Scooby as an animated film is a no brainer because it's one of WB's best selling brands. I think Bone should be their next original film as it's a fantastic comic and it would be quite fun as a film,

Still barring the two previous Lego Movies, no WAG film has done over $75M domestic or $200M WW. SPA although this year isn't the best, both Village and Emoji outgrossed Storks and Ninjago. WAG may have an idea but their results aren't the best. There is a chance that both TTG and Smallfoot are the weakest major studio animated film of 2018.

Edited by YourMother

It's a shame Battle of the Sexes bombed. It's an imperfect film but a very important story. People need to see feminist messages of substance and value, and that's what the movie delivers. We've become too accustomed to empty, shallow feminist messages like the ones delivered by that garbage Beyonce. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Still barring the two previous Lego Movies, no WAG film has done over $75M domestic or $200M WW. SPA although this year isn't the best, both Village and Emoji outgrossed Storks and Ninjago. WAG may have an idea but their results aren't the best.

Smurfs only did better OS because it's a well known title, Storks didn't have that advantage and Emoji benefitted from a dire August. Ninjago is only two weeks into its run as well so it's not a fair comparison so far. 

To use a like for like comparison for Storks, SPA's second film Surf's Up did $149m WW compared to Storks' $182m WW. SPA didn't have a $200m WW until Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and unlike WAG, they still haven't had a $200m domestic grosser. 

Edited by Jonwo

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Smurfs only did better OS because it's a well known title, Storks didn't have that advantage and Emoji benefitted from a dire August. Ninjago is only two weeks into its run as well so it's not a fair comparison so far. 

To use a like for like comparison for Storks, SPA's second film Surf's Up did $149m WW compared to Storks' $182m WW. 

Still, Smurfs had a big fall OS from the past two movies. Emoji may have benefited from a dire August but Minions had no family competition and that didn't do a 3x multiple. Judging by OS numbers and domestic numbers so far, Ninjago is doing under $200M WW. 

Barring Paramount, WAG might be one of the weakest animation studios. SPA's four films next year seem likely for at least $200M WW. HT3 and ASMM are probably doing over $300M WW. WAG has only two films in the foreseeable future that can do $200M+ WW, and that's Lego 2 and Scooby.

38 minutes ago, YourMother said:

February or Mid May or Early November also works good too.

TTG seems like for Emoji Movie numbers but if it appeals to anyone over the 10 and perhaps bring the OG Titans back, I think $100M can happen moreso than Smallfoot. It should make nice cash though.

It seems like one of the films that wouldn't have much appeal beyond the age of 10 honestly.

34 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'd say WAG is fine, Ninjago underperforming doesn't mean they're going to close up shop. WB learnt from BvS and Suicide Squad and so I think they'll change tact with future WAG films.

WAG has two critically acclaim films under their belt. It's not like SPA which seems to throwing ideas against the wall whereas WAG has a clear idea what they're doing with a mix of known titles and originals. Scooby as an animated film is a no brainer because it's one of WB's best selling brands. I think Bone should be their next original film as it's a fantastic comic and it would be quite fun as a film.

Bone would work so well as an animated film too. I know they've been trying to adapt it for years, without much success of actually happen, so it would be great to see it actually get made. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

To use a like for like comparison for Storks, SPA's second film Surf's Up did $149m WW compared to Storks' $182m WW. SPA didn't have a $200m WW until Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and unlike WAG, they still haven't had a $200m domestic grosser. 

Smurfs didn't great business overall though. There likely won't be another Smurfs film anytime soon anyway.

SPA's issue is that they just haven't made many quality animated films yet, like you mentioned they're basically throwing concepts to the wall and seeing them stick. WPA on the other hand has to be careful with the amount of animated films they greenlight. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Barring Paramount, WAG might be one of the weakest animation studios. SPA's four films next year seem likely for at least $200M WW. HT3 and ASMM are probably doing over $300M WW. WAG has only two films in the foreseeable future that can do $200M+ WW, and that's Lego 2 and Scooby.

Every animation studios has its ups and downs, DWA went through a bad patch, Pixar had a flop between two giant hits and WAG is no different. They had a hit with The Lego Batman Movie which has done more domestically than Smurfs and Emoji combined, it didn't fail at all! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Bone would work so well as animated film too. I know they've been trying to adapt it for years, without much success of actually happen, so it would be great to see it actually get made. 

I think Bone will be animated but I wouldn't mind if it was a hybrid.

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Smurfs didn't great business overall though. There likely won't be another Smurfs film anytime soon anyway.

SPA's issue is that they just haven't made many quality animated films yet, like you mentioned they're basically throwing concepts to the wall and seeing them stick. WPA on the other hand has to be careful with the amount of animated films they greenlight. 

WAG has released four films and two have been successful and two haven't been successful. You can't say a studio is doing poorly from four films so far. WAG's mistakes was having another Lego film so soon from a critically acclaimed one and also a concept that was too kiddy. I think going forward, I think they'll alternate between original and known titles and they'll try and improve the marketing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

WAG has released four films and two have been successful and two haven't been successful. You can't say a studio is doing poorly from four films so far. WAG's mistakes was having another Lego film so soon from a critically acclaimed one and also a concept that was too kiddy. I think going forward, I think they'll alternate between original and known titles and they'll try and improve the marketing. 

True. I just think WAG can do so much better. WB is one of the big studios, second only to Disney in terms of box office. I'm still optimistic with WAG and know they make great films.

Ninjago would've benefited if it were released in 2018 and had time to be reworked or maybe as shorts with WAG movies.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Bone will be animated but I wouldn't mind if it was a hybrid.

I'd prefer if it Bone was 90% animated myself, since the original comic is very cartoony and surreal in design.

The problem with the Lego films, is that they overused the brand too much. Lego movie was great, but they weren't going to be recapture that same success / magic again, and they should have done something more original instead, and spread out / changed Ninjago's release date as well.

Edited by Fancyarcher

Just now, YourMother said:

True. I just think WAG can do so much better. WB is one of the big studios, second only to Disney in terms of box office. I'm still optimistic with WAG and know they make great films.

Ninjago would've benefited if it were released in 2018 and had time to be reworked or maybe as shorts with WAG movies.

To be fair to WB, Animation is something they're struggled with because they were known for the Looney Tunes shorts and animated series and not animated features like Disney and before WAG, they only had an handful of successful films like Happy Feet, Space Jam and The Polar Express. DreamWorks Animation took years to find a successful film and they had many stumbles likewise with SPA, Blue Sky and even WDAS wasn't immune.

WAG can be successful, maybe not Illumination successful but I think they can build the brand if they continue to produce good films. I know you're not so hot on Smallfoot but I think it has potential to be their Cloudy.

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

The problem with the Lego films, is that they overused the brand too much. Lego movie was great, but they weren't going to be recapture that same success / magic again, and they should have done something more original instead, and spread out / changed Ninjago's release date as well.

Ninjago got pushed back a year which didn't help matters. I think WB has learnt a valuable lesson to not overexpose it and I think Lego Movie 2 coming in 2019 means we get a break from it. From now on, I think it'll be on a once every other year basis, maybe a bit longer if they have an original or a WB character film in the pipeline. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Ninjago got pushed back a year which didn't help matters. I think WB has learnt a valuable lesson to not overexpose it and I think Lego Movie 2 coming in 2019 means we get a break from it. From now on, I think it'll be on a once every other year basis, maybe a bit longer if they have an original or a WB character film in the pipeline. 

Hopefully they spread out their animated films most of the time by say at least 8 months. God knows the market is already chock-full of them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I dunno.

You need your fanboy friendly studios and you need your edge lord hipster studios.

And what I don't need is you remaking all your fairytales imaginable but I don't think people care (and that is the part which will come to bite Hollywood)

10 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

And what I don't need is you remaking all your fairytales imaginable but I don't think people care (and that is the part which will come to bite Hollywood)

I skipped Beauty and the Beast but watched Jungle Book so we're free to make choices but both films were megasuccessful so I can't blame Disney.

Clearly there's demand, they'd be stupid to ignore it.

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I skipped Beauty and the Beast but watched Jungle Book so we're free to make choices but both films were megasuccessful so I can't blame Disney.

Clearly there's demand, they'd be stupid to ignore it.

but I don't think people care (and that is the part which will come to bite Hollywood)

Edited by NamakFiskKa