aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If they kept it around $80-90m they might have had a great franchise starter on their hands.

Pretty sure this was never intended to re-launch a franchise. After seeing it, I'd be very surprised if they did.

Disappointing numbers but hey, I'm glad the movie exists in the first place.

The winner of the weekend is Victoria & Abdul. Judi Dench, Box Office Superstar at 82. Could leg it out to $30M.

Decent start for The Florida Project if those numbers hold up. It was always gonna be more of a Room than a Moonlight for A24.

• Sad 1

Kingsman2 doing 8.1m fo 80m dom puts 100m in jeopardy now. Still possible. 2x the weekend more will give 96. Needs a little more to get into fudge-motivation territory.

Mag7 added 1.95x the 3rd weekend (9m) to it's cume of 75.8

(75.8 + 1.95*9 = 93.4 dom).

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Decent start for The Florida Project if those numbers hold up. It was always gonna be more of a Room than a Moonlight for A24.

It's going to open below Good Time and on par with A Ghost Story. I wouldn't exactly call that good, especially for a potential BP nominee.

• Disbelief 1

10 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Snowman is embargoed in the US until the night of previews at 9 PM Eastern just before the first showings get out :ohmygod: 

@Alli Sorry, this is a bomb :sadben: 

Fassbender is slowly losing whatever little cred he gained few years ago. He is doing too many meh/mediocre or outright shit films. Performances are fine but nothing that is striking or oscar worthy. Needs to take break from these studio films and pair up with indie directors.

Looks like they failed to get females and the movie skewed towards males too much. Folks said Gosling was supposed to do that. But just his presence was not going to make much of a difference. It's not like he is a phenomenon that way. Few guys today can guarantee a bigger female audience by just their presence. Leo sure. Who else? Tatum on a tinier scale? Bradd Pitt once upon a time? idk..

Edited by a2knet

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

It's going to open below Good Time and on par with A Ghost Story. I wouldn't exactly call that good, especially for a potential BP nominee.

All depends on how it expands and if it can get some awards love beyond Dafoe. FWIW Room opened with a $29K PTA and ended up making around $5M in less than 200 theaters before Oscar noms were announced three months into its run and then it nearly tripled its gross from there.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Following The Martian's holds gets it to:

14.1M

17.3M

10.8M

42.2M

don't know if you have broken down previews and true Friday,

Martian was 2.5 + 15.65

while this is 4.0 + 10.1

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Fassbender is slowly losing whatever little cred he gained few years ago. He is doing too many meh/mediocre or outright shit films. Performances are fine but nothing that is striking or oscar worthy. Needs to take break from these studio films and pair up with indie directors.

Eh, it isn't like he was making amazing movies before either. His claims to fame Hunger and Shame are nay unwatchable, pretentious claptrap where everyone was in awe of Fassbender emoting in the buff rather than movies themselves. That's all that is. Once his nude shtick got old there was nothing for him to distinguish himself from the pack and others in the pack had more charisma or at least more likable personalities. His "brave actor" ship has sail, now Ryan Reynolds does it in a comic book movie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

don't know if you have broken down previews and true Friday,

Martian was 2.5 + 15.65

while this is 4.0 + 10.1

Alright if we do increases/decreases without Thursday #'s and shit, then Blade Runner gets to:

14.1M

14.4M

9M

37.5M.

...it's better than 36.5M :sparta: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I'm trying to be optimistic :sparta: 

Optimistically it could pull of high-30s I think if wom is very strong. Say OD creeps up a bit from deadline to 14.5,

4 + 10.5 + 14.7 (+40%) + 9.55 (-35%) = 38.75

• Like 1

Not a completely surprising opening.  The original Blade Runner was a flop and is still to this day largely a cult film.  I guarantee if you showed that movie to a bunch of people under 30 for the first time today at least half of them wouldn't be enthusiastic about it.   Some of the reactions to the movie I'm seeing here and elsewhere (the pace is too slow it feels too long!) means we got a Blade Runner sequel. :lol:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

HDD may have a shot at outgrossing Blade Runner.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, lol.

It really doesn't. We're more likely to have no $20M+ openers between now and Thor than a Happy Death Day breakout.

Edited by filmlover