Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

So I know I'm late to this realization, but how is it legal that Penske Media Corporation owns Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, and Deadline. Isn't that a complete monopoly over the film industry trade news?

Yeah, sort of, but don't expect any lawsuits. There is no restraint of trade....anybody can start a film industry trade news publication or website. What the Government looks at is in pursuing a monopoly case is restraint of trade.

And the LA Times, though not a trade journal, gives extensive coverage to the film industry for obvious reasons...it a major industry/employer in LA. It used to call it's SUndey edition section on film industry news "Company Town".

2 hours ago, eddyxx said:

So I know I'm late to this realization, but how is it legal that Penske Media Corporation owns Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, and Deadline. Isn't that a complete monopoly over the film industry trade news?

Yep but a lot of our media is like this. It's no worse than Jeff Bezos owning the Washington Post. This shit shouldn't be allowed.

7 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Yep but a lot of our media is like this. It's no worse than Jeff Bezos owning the Washington Post. This shit shouldn't be allowed.

How is one company owning everything no worse than one guy owning WaPo? Bezos owns no other papers.

It's more on the lines of Sinclair buying all local broadcasting stations or VCs buying all local newspapers in all markets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

How is one company owning everything no worse than one guy owning WaPo? Bezos owns no other papers.

It's more on the lines of Sinclair buying all local broadcasting stations or VCs buying all local newspapers in all markets.

I guess I just find big tech owning a major news source equally egregious even if the situation isn't 100% comparable.

Just my own opinion though.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 2:29 PM, grim22 said:

I see that Bezps is getting serious about trying to buy the Washington Commanders (The NFL team formaly knows as the Redskins). That would be interesting.

And, as far as fielding a good team, he could not do worse then the current owner.

Edited by dudalb

On 2/24/2023 at 3:56 PM, Verrows said:

I guess I just find big tech owning a major news source equally egregious even if the situation isn't 100% comparable.

Just my own opinion though.

I don't get the special hate for Big Tech over other huge corporations. That alot of it is being mouthed by people on the right just make me more skeptical about it.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/remembering-disney-legend-burny-mattinson/

Disney Legend Burny Mattinson, who worked as an animator, director, producer, and story artist at Walt Disney Animation Studios during an unprecedented 70-year career, passed away Monday, February 27, at Canyon Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Canoga Park, California, following a short illness. He was 87 years old.

On 2/28/2023 at 12:18 AM, dudalb said:

ANd his distributor dropped Scott Adams' Dilbert today.

Man, that was a quick way to commit career suicide.

Speaking of career suicide, do you have any latest info when will Matt Gaetz go to jail?

Looks as though Tik Tok might well be banned in the US.

I thought this was a silly idea, but the more I read about how it is controlled by the Chinese Government, I am coming around to the idea. i don't trust Xi and the CCP one inch. And it's not ike there are not a dozen other apps on which teenagers can waste their time.