Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

I could go on and on (cause like Robert Ebert said, it can be fun to write a pan), but basically the movie felt like someone writing a five paragraph essay for school, and got to the fourth paragraph and realized they forgot All The Other Important Things They Need To Add, so just tacked them on.

Definently. The final third was indredibly rushed.

Someone in the Babylon thread here said it's impossible for Damien CHazelle to make a bad movie. I beg to differ on the grounds that any director can blow it big time, and IMHO Chazelle made his turkey here.

BTW the last of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories entered the public domain in the US a couple of weeks ago, so now Holmes is pretty much open game for anybody wanting to film the Conan Doyle stories or make a Holmes movie.

• Astonished 1

On 1/20/2023 at 11:48 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Having a crush on a friend is like the best and worst thing in the world.

Don't know if people care but I finally told her. She said she doesn't know what she wants romantically and who she wants to be with (in my eyes, a no). The fact that our friendship remains as strong as it did before is honestly a W.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Don't know if people care but I finally told her. She said she doesn't know what she wants romantically and who she wants to be with (in my eyes, a no). The fact that our friendship remains as strong as it did before is honestly a W.

Good on you for going for it! Glad you still have the friendship. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XXR You Ok Annie said:

Why are they tracking it and not bringing it down?

I mean, in the actual article...

While the balloon’s current flight path carries it over “a number of sensitive sites,” the official said it does not present a significant intelligence gathering risk. The balloon is assessed to have “limited additive value” from an intelligence collection perspective, the official added.

The US believes Chinese spy satellites in low Earth orbit are capable of offering similar or better intelligence, limiting the value of whatever Beijing can glean from the high-altitude balloon, which is the size of three buses, according to another defense official.

“It does not create significant value added over and above what the PRC is likely able to collect through things like satellites in low Earth orbit,” the senior defense official said.

The US government has engaged with the Chinese government both through the Chinese embassy in Washington and the US diplomatic mission in China, according to the official.

It was the “strong recommendation” of senior military leaders, including the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley, “not to take kinetic action due to the risk to safety and security of people on the ground from the possible debris field,” the official said.

It ain't gathering much and it could injure people when it gets shot down, so why bother?

21 hours ago, Porthos said:

I mean, in the actual article...

It ain't gathering much and it could injure people when it gets shot down, so why bother?

Real reason I supect is the Pentagon want to monitor it;s retrun signals to learn all they can about Chinese comminacations..particualry their intelligence operations.

But it has caused a major rift in US Chinese relations; CHina Delibertly viiolating US Air Space, even with a stupid balloon, is a big deal.

lmao

At this point the Chinese foreign ministry should just come out with something like "the balloon seems to be causing you much distress so feel free to shoot it down so you can calm down." then sit back and watch as we neither shoot it down nor calm down.

Edited by Ozymandias

2 hours ago, Cap said:

Quick thing:

I am not going to be around for a bit. Non-Board Personal issues, and I need some time. I will get the emojis up for next weekend, and run the Cas of the Cas Games (Sign Up For Them! Play the Change). If you need anything big, PM me. Otherwise @XXR You Ok Annie and @ZeeSoh and @Eric Crowe got this covered. 

Take care Cap!

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Hahahahahaha what.

When I first saw this, I thought it was a joke, and what would be the reason? I mean, Hallmark and Lifetime made dozens of Christmas movies in 2020 once productions resumed and the actors still kissed, except that movie where the actors kissed through Plexiglass:

https://slate.com/culture/2020/12/lifetime-christmas-movie-plexiglass-kiss-ali-stroker-interview.html

Did Jonah and Lauren London just hate each other or something?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl