Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Posted (edited)

What do people here think of this list?

I think Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya shouldn’t be here, they’re definitely not “new.” They’ve consistently had critical and commercial success since around 2017.

35 year old Glen Powell being a new “young” star is…a choice (I doubt a woman would even be considered for this list if her age didn’t begin with number less than 3).

Paul Mescal feels like he’s in the same category as Saoirse Ronan: indie darling but with no commercial success to back them. Putting him here before Gladiator II seems presumptuous. Ronan also tried the commercial route.

I like Jenna Ortega but putting her on her seems early. Wednesday was huge though and I think she has potential.

Jacob Elordi, a supporting actor in Saltburn, is on the list, but not Barry Keoghan, the lead?

Tom Holland needs better projects

Fun stats: 2 MCU actors, 5 Dune actors, 3 Euphoria actors.

Edited by Speedorito

9 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I think Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya shouldn’t be here, they’re definitely not “new.” They’ve consistently had critical and commercial success since around 2017.

35 year old Glen Powell being a new “young” star is…a choice (I doubt a woman would even be considered for this list if her age didn’t begin with number less than 3).

Paul Mescal feels like he’s in the same category as Saoirse Ronan: indie darling but with no commercial success to back them. Putting him here before Gladiator II seems presumptuous. Ronan also tried the commercial route.

I like Jenna Ortega but putting her on her seems early. Wednesday was huge though and I think she has potential.

Jacob Elordi, a supporting actor in Saltburn, is on the list, but not Barry Keoghan, the lead?

Ithink it will be interesting to look at this list a couple of years from now and see which ones flamed out early.

I like Jennhy Ortega too, but she has yet to show she can move from being big on TV to being bit in Movies.

Anna Raylor  Joy has also been around a while and has been getting some major roles.

Florence Pugh is like Powell, she has been around for a long timem and had quite a resume when it comes to serious acting.

On 5/24/2024 at 7:27 PM, Speedorito said:

If the list is based on who is well known then Tom Holland should be on there. 

19 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

If the list is based on who is well known then Tom Holland should be on there. 

pound for pound he is the most popular new star. even his failed Apple tv show has more reviews than most tv shows.

Heck, this Romeo & Juliet revival he's in right now sold out within hours and there's already rumors of bringing it to Broadway.

(I'd say that would be an open invitation for these CBM geeks to descend upon it with false hopes of finding out details about the new Spider-Man movie but a Broadway ticket, let alone a trip to NYC, is likely outside their budget in the first place so that's a non-issue)

THR is clearly prioritizing a certain kind of critical cache on that list that Holland currently lacks. It wouldn’t surprise me if any of those actors land an Oscar nom in the next five years. Can anyone say the same of Holland? Not unless he starts making much better film choices that better showcase him. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

THR is clearly prioritizing a certain kind of critical cache on that list that Holland currently lacks. It wouldn’t surprise me if any of those actors land an Oscar nom in the next five years. Can anyone say the same of Holland? Not unless he starts making much better film choices that better showcase him. 

There lots of famous actors who never get  academy awards though

Edited by Torontofan

That list actually reminded me that Lucas Hedges seemed like he was going to be a thing during his very productive 2016 through 2018 stretch (including an Oscar nomination) and seems to have fallen off the map.

They clearly only had a choice of 10 and felt Holland was safe enough to leave off. Even if it is a bit of a stretch to call people who have been around longer than most folks realize like Glen Powell or Austin Butler (both of whom have been in showbiz since they were children, it was even something of a joke online during the release and awards run of Elvis that the latter's team tried to sell him as a Brand New Actor with just a few credits to his name to cover up his tween-centric past) as "rising young talents."

57 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

There lots of famous actors who never get  academy awards though

For sure, and most of this list probably never will either but everyone on this list has had at least one critically acclaimed performance in movies and/or TV (and some have already landed Oscar noms). Holland’s attempts at prestige fair have all fallen flat. THR is clearly prioritizing that over actual box office for these actors. How else to explain Mescal here despite never being in a big movie before (but hoping to change that with Gladiator 2).

17 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I’ve seen way too many cybertrucks in the wild lately. People actually buy these things?

A mix of Elon stans and people too young/poor to buy Pontiac Azteks back in the day...

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I’ve seen way too many cybertrucks in the wild lately. People actually buy these things?

Might just be where you live as allegedly only around 4k have actually been sold as of a month ago.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

A mix of Elon stans and people too young/poor to buy Pontiac Azteks back in the day...

FWIW, I saw one here in Sacto just before the recall and it is just as neck-snappingly fugly in real life as it is on screen or in print.  Always thought this whenever I've saw pictures of it, but it really does look like something from a very bad SciFi dystopian movie made in the 80s, especially as one is driving by it.

How anyone thought it was a good design, I have no idea.  If it ever comes out that the look of it was part of a bet to see if Musk fans would truly buy or defend anything... Well, normally I scoff at such conspiratorial thinking, but in this case I'll allow myself to indulge a little.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

They’re so ugly and they stick out so much that seeing one or two feels like you’ve seen them everywhere. I recently went on a roadtrip and saw a couple of them. 

Being a child of the 70s and 80s, I am no stranger to a "boxy" look for cars. Even well into the 90s, one would still see the design esthetic on the roads due to used cars still being in use.

Hell, the famous Delorian (which, by the way, was a huge flop) is pretty damn boxy when one really looks at it without all of the bells and whistles added by BTTF. And I do think there is a way to make a boxy looking car at least semi-pleasing to the eye. But the cybertruck?

Well as I now look again at the Delorian:

1981-deloreanscreen-shot-2022-05-21-at-8

What if we made a Delorian, sanded off a lot of the chrome and gloss, and made it even more angular.  Bet that would sell like pancakes!

And as I think more about it, it's not just the extreme angles all over the cybertruck, it's the lack of gloss and sheen.  If someone is gonna make something that looks like it came straight out of a DTV 80s dystopian movie, you at least have to make it a bit more shiny.  

One can see how "the little things" matter, really, when looking at a Delorian and a Cybertruck side by side:

lgoixd128cyc1.jpeg?width=1080&format=pjp

Hell, just give the Cybertuck a side stripe or some sort of two-tone action and that'd help immeasurably.

Maybe it's just the squat, squished nose/front which really makes it look bad.  Just little things here and there where one could tweak it a little and make it so much better.

Deloreon looks cool. It had way too many issues and so the car and company failed. Cybertruck looks like a garbage can. It sold off the hype during much hyped announcement few years ago when he promised a bullet proof truck with 500 miles range for 70K. What he is selling now is far from what was promised and has way too many issues in the limited time deliveries have happened. I see quite a few here and it looks fugly for sure. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 8:17 AM, filmlover said:

Heck, this Romeo & Juliet revival he's in right now sold out within hours and there's already rumors of bringing it to Broadway.

(I'd say that would be an open invitation for these CBM geeks to descend upon it with false hopes of finding out details about the new Spider-Man movie but a Broadway ticket, let alone a trip to NYC, is likely outside their budget in the first place so that's a non-issue)

Just like a lot of Star Trek fans when in London would buy tickets to see Captain Picard doing Shakespeare on stage.

Let's face it, a lot of Movie and TV  fans who usually would never see a stage show will buy tickets to see the star of their franchise one stage.

Come to think of it, Doctor Strange has  huge sucess on stage in 

Hamlet" a few years ago.