Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Oh my.

Oh my oh my oh my.

(is it bad that I searched the forums to see if there was an On The Lot thread for this film? :ph34r:)

With Kissinger and OJ, it looks like we have quickly gone past "Don't speak ill of the dead". I can think of a few others in the near future who will get that treatment.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Oh my.

"The footage ends with a link to a Google Form requesting suggestions for "outrageous ideas" to include in the movie."

Oh my oh my.

"Prior reports about the film have suggested that it will present an argument that definitively exonerates Simpson from Brown's murder."

Obviously the people behind this project saw all Teh Drama around Michael and haughtily said, "amateurs". j1aUlyv.gif

@BoxOfficeFangrl you have to read this article (presuming you haven't already).

(is it bad that I searched the forums to see if there was an On The Lot thread for this film? :ph34r:)

I can't say I'm that surprised there's a potential movie purporting to exonerate OJ and somebody Black Famous agreed to star in it. When the trial was happening the surveys showed a huge racial divide in beliefs about his innocence and in my experience, that feeling hasn't entirely gone away. Add in how conspiracy theories and the manosphere have flourished in recent years, and a movie sympathetic to OJ will have its defenders online. Will they actually watch? That's another story.

The Juice was famous for decades and had a bunch of celebrity/insider friends before the murders and for some, the fandom never stops no matter what. So they look for "the real killers", harder than OJ ever did...

No, what surprises me in all this is how much money was allegedly offered to land Owen Wilson in a leading role. What did they think he was going to offer to this cinematic masterpiece, and why did they think he'd ever agree to it? Honestly, the best a production of this caliber (with Charlotte Kirk! as Nicole Brown) could have hoped for is Johnny Depp, but even he might have turned this down, so they'd have to settle for someone on the geezer teaser circuit.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Any basketball fans out here?

These NBA playoffs have been pretty fun, but maybe that’s just because my Timberwolves are finally doing something 🥹🥹🥹

There's quite a few basketball fans on the forum, though they're not commenting as much about it as days gone by.  Probably my (distant) third sport, but with the Kings being out and the Dubs at the end of their window, not much for me to comment on.

Just as long as the Lakers lose in humiliating fashion, I'll be happy with just about anything that happens.

1 hour ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Any basketball fans out here?

These NBA playoffs have been pretty fun, but maybe that’s just because my Timberwolves are finally doing something 🥹🥹🥹

I never used to feel this way but the NBA playoffs are so long! So for now I just see the results on social media. Also Jokic's pregame movie promo:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I can't say I'm that surprised there's a potential movie purporting to exonerate OJ and somebody Black Famous agreed to star in it. When the trial was happening the surveys showed a huge racial divide in beliefs about his innocence and in my experience, that feeling hasn't entirely gone away. Add in how conspiracy theories and the manosphere have flourished in recent years, and a movie sympathetic to OJ will have its defenders online. Will they actually watch? That's another story.

Oh, I'm well aware, though I suspect at least some of that feeling has shifted from "OJ was innocent" to "Well, at least someone who was Black was able to beat the system instead of having the system screw them".  Plus the general, "Okay, OJ probably did it, but Fuck Them Racist Cops, so whatever".   Which... I have a decent amount of sympathy for.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

No, what surprises me in all this is how much money was allegedly offered to land Owen Wilson in a leading role. What did they think he was going to offer to this cinematic masterpiece, and why did they think he'd ever agree to it? Honestly, the best a production of this caliber (with Charlotte Kirk! as Nicole Brown) could have hoped for is Johnny Depp, but even he might have turned this down, so they'd have to settle for someone on the geezer teaser circuit.

If this project ever sees the light of day — and I am, let's say skeptical for a reason I'll say in a mo — I think it'll be quite the social media train wreck for many different reasons.   Or rather, people finding different reasons to comment on it.  

For instance, what leapt out to me as a sign of unseriousness was the asking for "outrageous suggestions" of what people would like to see in the film.  Via a Google Form no less!

To paraphrase The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, have to give them 10/10 for viral originality (plus harvesting of personal data no doubt), but minus several million for good sense.

Edited by Porthos
clarified one of my points very slightly

The funniest thing to me about that unfinished O.J. project is that Charlotte Kirk is playing Nicole Brown Simpson. I hope she has accepted by now that the salacious scandal she was a part of is probably all she'll ever be famous for.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

Oh, I'm well aware, though I suspect at least some of that feeling has shifted from "OJ was innocent" to "Well, at least someone who was Black was able to beat the system instead of having the system screw them".  Plus the general, "Okay, OJ probably did it, but Fuck Them Racist Cops, so whatever".   Which... I have a decent amount of sympathy for.

If this project ever sees the light of day — and I am, let's say skeptical for a reason I'll say in a mo — I think it'll be quite the social media train wreck for many different reasons.   Or rather, people finding different reasons to comment on it.  

For instance, what leapt out to me as a sign of unseriousness was the asking for "outrageous suggestions" of what people would like to see in the film.  Via a Google Form no less!

To paraphrase The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, have to give them 10/10 for viral originality (plus harvesting of personal data no doubt), but minus several million for good sense.

Oh, there were definitely bloggers/media personalities pushing the "OJ is innocent!" narrative after the news of his death and people who genuinely believe it. Some never stopped feeling that the cops set him up and OJ wasn't the killer, plus now there's a whole new generation of adults born after the trial, who will just latch onto theories pushed by new true crime docs or TikTok.

"The Juice" doesn't exactly sound like it's going to be released by a major studio or part of the Oscar conversation, so that will limit The Discourse a great deal. Maybe it'll find a home on Tubi with this forgotten masterpiece:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Oh, there were definitely bloggers/media personalities pushing the "OJ is innocent!" narrative after the news of his death and people who genuinely believe it. Some never stopped feeling that the cops set him up and OJ wasn't the killer, plus now there's a whole new generation of adults born after the trial, who will just latch onto theories pushed by new true crime docs or TikTok.

"The Juice" doesn't exactly sound like it's going to be released by a major studio or part of the Oscar conversation, so that will limit The Discourse a great deal. Maybe it'll find a home on Tubi with this forgotten masterpiece:

Did they show dog steping on a bee?

XD 

22 hours ago, Porthos said:

Oh my.

"The footage ends with a link to a Google Form requesting suggestions for "outrageous ideas" to include in the movie."

Oh my oh my.

"Prior reports about the film have suggested that it will present an argument that definitively exonerates Simpson from Brown's murder."

Obviously the people behind this project saw all Teh Drama around Michael and haughtily said, "amateurs". j1aUlyv.gif

@BoxOfficeFangrl you have to read this article (presuming you haven't already).

Straighr to Streaming release. Hell, it might be straight to You Tube.

I got a feeling the peoppe making this are the real amateurs.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Tony nominations revealed. Lot of famous people nominated this year.

Tonys Nominations 2024: Hell's Kitchen, Stereophonic Lead With 13 Noms (variety.com)

Best Play

Jaja’s African Hair Braiding
Mary Jane
Mother Play
Prayer for the French Republic
Stereophonic

Best Musical

Hell’s Kitchen
Illinoise
The Outsiders
Suffs
Water for Elephants

Best Revival of a Play

Appropriate
An Enemy of the People
Purlie Victorious: A Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch

Best Revival of a Musical

Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club
Gutenberg! The Musical!
Merrily We Roll Along
The Who’s Tommy

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play

William Jackson Harper, Uncle Vanya

Leslie Odom, Jr., Purlie Victorious: A Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch

Liev Schreiber, Doubt: A Parable

Jeremy Strong, An Enemy of the People

Michael Stuhlbarg, Patriots

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Play

Betsy Aidem, Prayer for the French Republic

Jessica Lange, Mother Play

Rachel McAdams, Mary Jane

Sarah Paulson, Appropriate

Amy Ryan, Doubt: A Parable

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical

Brody Grant, The Outsiders

Jonathan Groff, Merrily We Roll Along

Dorian Harewood, The Notebook

Brian d’Arcy James, Days of Wine and Roses

Eddie Redmayne, Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical

Eden Espinosa, Lempicka

Maleah Joi Moon, Hell’s Kitchen

Kelli O’Hara, Days of Wine and Roses

Maryann Plunkett, The Notebook

Gayle Rankin, Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play

Will Brill, Stereophonic

Eli Gelb, Stereophonic

Jim Parsons, Mother Play

Tom Pecinka, Stereophonic

Corey Stoll, Appropriate

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play

Quincy Tyler Bernstine, Doubt: A Parable

Juliana Canfield, Stereophonic

Celia Keenan-Bolger, Mother Play

Sarah Pidgeon, Stereophonic

Kara Young, Purlie Victorious: A Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patch

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical

Roger Bart, Back To The Future: The Musical

Joshua Boone, The Outsiders

Brandon Victor Dixon, Hell’s Kitchen

Sky Lakota-Lynch, The Outsiders

Daniel Radcliffe, Merrily We Roll Along

Steven Skybell, Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical

Shoshana Bean, Hell’s Kitchen

Amber Iman, Lempicka

Nikki M. James, Suffs

Leslie Rodriguez Kritzer, Monty Python’s Spamalot

Kecia Lewis, Hell’s Kitchen

Lindsay Mendez, Merrily We Roll Along

Bebe Neuwirth, Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club

• Like 1

I have no background on any of this but what's the overarching summary of what changed behind the scenes? Shawn sold BoxOfficePro and while theory was in some loose degree connected to BoxOfficePro via Shawn, it was never officially connected to it so Shawn's taking his secondary existing site and turning it into a new main job one (hence the logo redesign)? 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

I agree with this guy that Netflix's business model is sound but I don't understand why it's nonsense to have a movie play in theaters. Like those three Pixar movies that went to streaming: What money did they make?

But then it  costs a lot in overhead to get a movie into theaters. Tens of Misslion of dollars. I