Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

22 hours ago, dudalb said:

This will pretty much cause the few mainstream advertisers still on Twitter to jump ship.

Musk's handling of Twitter will be studied in business management schools as a example of how NOT to run a business.

I'm half convinced he bought it to pump up the $TSLA stocks and cover up it's shortcomings. Cuz Tesla is losing steam profitability wise in just about every country fast. 

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Becker said:

I'm half convinced he bought it to pump up the $TSLA stocks and cover up it's shortcomings. Cuz Tesla is losing steam profitability wise in just about every country fast. 

Tesla has not been able to handle the fact it now has real competiion in the Electronic Car department very well.  it has lost the near monopoly is once had, and seems unable to  deal with having to compete with other makes.

Musk seems to do well when manages to establish a near monopoly in a marketplece, a lot less well when he had to deal with reacl competion.

And now it might be happenging with Space X. Other comapnies have had sucess in the space industry, and Musk politcal ranting has made many governments look for other contractors.

I cannot think of anybody who managed to destroy his public image so quickly. It was only a couple of years ago he got the Time Man Of The Year award. Of course I could argue the award went to his head, his ego took over, and that is where is downfall began.

He really got to beleive he was a real life Tony Stark, and that he could do no wrong, and, as any course in Business managment will tell you that is a sure road to eventual disaster.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952oj9mrvuu0tk3etoqrk

=====

Seriously though, need someone much more familiar with the strengths of various National Teams to explain to me just how big of an upset this really is.  Preferably in USA sports analogies.

@Potiki @grim22 @charlie Jatinder @Menor the Destroyer (tagged a couple of people that seem to have mentioned cricket in posts over the years)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

=====

Seriously though, need someone much more familiar with the strengths of various National Teams to explain to me just how big of an upset this really is.  Preferably in USA sports analogies.

@Potiki @grim22 @charlie Jatinder @Menor the Destroyer (tagged a couple of people that seem to have mentioned cricket in posts over the years)

Its like if Pakistan beat US in Baseball.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Its like if Pakistan beat US in Baseball.

I've seen this College Football Game (which will almost certainly mean nothing to you) floated a few times on Twitter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Appalachian_State_vs._Michigan_football_game?useskin=vector

and that seems to track.  The Top 5 strength at least when it comes to Pakistan.  Judging the talent of the USA side seems a lot more chaotic, with all sorts of analogies flying about (from semi-pros to Division 2, Division 3 level talents floated as comparisons).

Either way, really huge upset no matter how it's exactly judged.

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

=====

Pakistan generally for Cricket is one of the lower tier teams under India, England, Australia, NZ and South Africa but in T20 (20 overs, which is a shorter format) they are usually pretty decent have won a World Cup, runners-up a couple of times and made the semi-finals a couple more. That being said their form lately hasn't been great, they lost to Ireland (who well more of a known team in cricket than USA that is still not great) 

Still a huge upset, that said if USA beats India in pool play that would be huge!!! and probably lead to USA topping Pool A and making the Quarter finals. In fact it is very likely USA makes the quarter finals which in of itself will be huge. 

To liken it to US sports terms I think it would be like a college team beating one of the lower ranked professional teams in the MLB, NBA, NFL etc. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Potiki said:

To liken it to US sports terms I think it would be like a college team beating one of the lower ranked professional teams in the MLB, NBA, NFL etc. 

We cross posted a bit I think, but more or less tracks with the example I posted (probably).  Thanks for the extra info on the strength of the Pakistan team; much appreciated. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

We cross posted a bit I think, but more or less tracks with the example I posted (probably).  Thanks for the extra info on the strength of the Pakistan team; much appreciated. 

The Pakistan team is one of those which has really good individual players. Taken on their own, Babar, Shaheen, Amir, Rauf are all top players in their categories. It's just that either they all fire at the same time or they all screw to together. In this match, all of them screwed up together when it mattered.

No way they should have let the US team tie after needing 12 runs off 3 balls (for like a football equivalent, it would be like needing 2 touchdowns with 2 minutes to go). And then Amir melted down in the Super Over (think overtime).

It's one of the biggest upsets seen in a while, it puts the US in the drivers seat for the Super 8 group spot though, they just need to beat Ireland now.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Out of reacts but no problem and yeah that example you gave seems about right, hopefully a sign of things to come for Team USA going forward. It kind of reminds me of Japan in the Rugby World Cup 2015 when they beat South Africa (who went on to come 3rd in that tournament, so an in form team) and since then they have done fairly well, before 2015 they had won one game at 7 World Cup appearances and since 2015 (including 2015) they have won 9 games across 3 tournaments and made the quarter finals in 2019. 

^ this is the finals minutes of the South Africa vs Japan 2015 game for anyone interested in watching.

• Like 1

Just saw this and this is just as incredible as the victory 

Important text for those who can't see twitter posts: "Saurabh Netravalkar is one of Team USA's top players, but his full-time job: Principle Engineer at Oracle."

Talk about an All-Rounder.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Important text for those who can't see twitter posts: "Saurabh Netravalkar is one of Team USA's top players, but his full-time job: Principle Engineer at Oracle."

He played in the U19 cricket World Cup 2010 alongside some players who are in the Indian team currently. Then he moved to the US, did a masters, started playing cricket on the weekends and decided to give it another go. There was a profile about him on Cricinfo last week

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Potiki said:

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Sent this to one of my friends who works in Oracle and his reaction was "Smart guy, set OOO with DND to prevent random 'I have a small doubt to be cleared' PMs during matches"

• Like 1