Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Tony Awards were tonight.

Tony Awards 2024: Full Winners List (variety.com)

So thrilled to see so many faves winning. Sarah Paulson! Jeremy Strong! Jonathan Groff! DANIEL RADCLIFFE! :wub: You're a (Tony) winner, Harry!

Didn't know Jolie was a producer on the Outsiders musical. She, along with Paulson and Strong, are now halfway to EGOT status. EDIT: Groff too, overlooked that he has a Grammy for the Hamilton album.

On a fun fact piece of trivia note, both of the Play Actor winners, Strong and Will Brill, share a connection having played Roy Cohn (Strong in The Apprentice, Brill in Fellow Travelers) within the past year.

Pour one out for the Musical Lead Actress contenders who will be going up against the one and only Audra McDonald in the Gypsy revival this time next year lol.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Tony Awards were tonight.

Tony Awards 2024: Full Winners List (variety.com)

So thrilled to see so many faves winning. Sarah Paulson! Jeremy Strong! Jonathan Groff! DANIEL RADCLIFFE! :wub: You're a (Tony) winner, Harry!

Didn't know Jolie was a producer on the Outsiders musical. She, along with Paulson and Strong, are now halfway to EGOT status. EDIT: Groff too, overlooked that he has a Grammy for the Hamilton album.

On a fun fact piece of trivia note, both of the Play Actor winners, Strong and Will Brill, share a connection having played Roy Cohn (Strong in The Apprentice, Brill in Fellow Travelers) within the past year.

Pour one out for the Musical Lead Actress contenders who will be going up against the one and only Audra McDonald in the Gypsy revival this time next year lol.

I've followed the progress of this Merrily revival since the Deuxmoi blind items about its Off-Broadway run (back then, it was going to be Andrew Garfield as Franklin instead of Jonathan Groff). It's been so much fun to watch the success unfold. And if I time traveled back to a Prisoner of Azkaban screening in 2004 and told everyone there DanRad wins a Tony in the future, also JK Rowling will openly despise him, I wonder which thing would be harder to believe. It's so interesting to see his career unfold the way it has. His speech and tux were lovely.

Angelina has been heavily promoting The Outsiders for months, with one of her kids (Vivienne) frequently tagging along. Hell's Kitchen had more nominations and Alicia Keys was campaigning like crazy, so I thought that would win. I feel that if Taylor Swift or Beyonce did a jukebox musical of her own music and a thinly-veiled version of her life, the Discourse would have been everywhere and insufferable. Alicia Keys has fallen off a lot more compared to them, but still feels too young for this move.

As for next year's Lead Actress in a Musical, watch the Tonys be like, "Gender neutral categories, it's time!" and the winner ends up being a cishet man. Speaking of Audra, rumor has it she might be joined in the revival by a recent Best Actor nominee at the Oscars...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

5 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I've followed the progress of this Merrily revival since the Deuxmoi blind items about its Off-Broadway run (back then, it was going to be Andrew Garfield as Franklin instead of Jonathan Groff). It's been so much fun to watch the success unfold. And if I time traveled back to a Prisoner of Azkaban screening in 2004 and told everyone there DanRad wins a Tony in the future, also JK Rowling will openly despise him, I wonder which thing would be harder to believe. It's so interesting to see his career unfold the way it has. His speech and tux were lovely.

I dig that the Harry Potter trio defied the odds and have maintained active careers to different levels of success (no one's ever taking away playing another iconic character in a billion dollar blockbuster from Watson). Rupert Grint has arguably the least impressive post-HP career and even he still shows up in a high-profile project from time to time!

Meanwhile, time to start cooking on Jeremy Strong and Sarah Paulson's Oscar roles because they're both now one award short of completing the Triple Crown of Acting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Meanwhile, time to start cooking on Jeremy Strong and Sarah Paulson's Oscar roles because they're both now one award short of completing the Triple Crown of Acting.

For Jeremy Strong, maybe that Apprentice movie will get swept up in a narrative and carry him to Oscar. It's not looking too good out of Cannes though.

Sarah Paulson seems like someone who'll win an Oscar on her first nomination. You know Ryan Murphy would love to direct her to an Academy Award. He's mostly made "This Had Oscar Buzz" movies thus far so he'd have to step his game up.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Sarah Paulson seems like someone who'll win an Oscar on her first nomination. You know Ryan Murphy would love to direct her to an Academy Award. He's mostly made "This Had Oscar Buzz" movies thus far so he'd have to step his game up.

Agreed, though it definitely wouldn't be under Ryan Murphy (who seems comfortable in producing duties only these days). Does feel like the right project is not too far off though.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 10:56 PM, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

It's been a long, tiring week. But I have some good news to end it on: I got my first professional screenwriting gig. 

.gif

Make sure to slip in a BOT easter egg that normies wouldn't blink twice at but we'll notice right away! 👍

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This is not the right thread but cannot find WB thread. 

https://www.threads.net/@sean_like_connery/post/C8Vhy5bxUb7

WTF. I dont like this at all. Hayden is meh after Battinson. 

wait it says the source is Stephen Glass? That can't be right lol. Has to be a joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Glass

On 6/17/2024 at 3:01 AM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

And now it's getting the Hamilton treatment of the movie recording. :wub: I want to see it!

Merrily We Roll Along Being Filmed By Company That Produced Hamilton Movie (deadline.com)

The perfect alternative for those who don't believe the 20-years-in-the-actual-making Richard Linklater film adaptation will actually make it to completion lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

And now it's getting the Hamilton treatment of the movie recording. :wub: I want to see it!

Merrily We Roll Along Being Filmed By Company That Produced Hamilton Movie (deadline.com)

The perfect alternative for those who don't believe the 20-years-in-the-actual-making Richard Linklater film adaptation will actually make it to completion lol.

I'm wondering how much the Linklater version will deviate from the stage musical, because I've seen other proshots of it and there's a certain (intentional) artificiality that seems so different than his usual style. Yet you don't cast Ben Platt as a lead if you don't want theatrical singing. The musical itself is an adaptation of a 1930s play so there's flexibility in the concept.

Britney and Janet Jackson fans are enjoying the Justin Timberlake news way too much: