Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

cancelled before it aired. I'm glad this looked like shit. the heathers were a gay kid a fat kid and a black kid and the outcast veronica was a blonde haired blue eyed conventionally attractive chick like lmao how do you think you're getting away with that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I have to say that there is so much toxic entitlement in fanbases today, especially ones that are your typical “internet fanboy” movies.

People don’t seem to get that while, yes movies are intended to make money and please audiences, that they’re first expressions of art, emotions and creativity.  There seems to be this notion that each individual consumer is entitled for an artistic creator to cater exactly to their wishes, or the creator is soulless hack out to ruin what they love (which is also nonsense lol.  No filmmaker goes into production with the goal to enrage their target audience or make a bad product.  They go into it with either a goal to please audiences or create something they find to be quality.)

Ive seen it with quite a few franchises (blockbuster films and video games are the two most common mediums for this to happen in), where people go on a rage storm because for some reason they didn’t like a movie.  I mean to the extent where you’re spamming the feed of a director or creator calling them evil trash because they happened to dislike an installment.  Or going and spamming anything to do with the property about what you didn’t like, ruining the enjoyment of discussion from people who may have not hated it.

It may sound like I’m ranting about toxic fans of one franchise in particular, and while they’re definitely apart of it, I am talking about franchises and fanboy properties as a whole.  It’s really gotten ridiculous and it hurts the creative process because you put producers in a position where they never want to risk something daring out of fear of intense fan backlash.

Art forms are driven through innovation and trying new things.  And not all new things are going to please everyone, but pushing past old boundaries and exploring new space is what keeps art forms from going stale.  Toxic fandom, imo, is holding back art forms because people don’t know how to move on when they don’t like something.  

It’s possible to be a fan of something and not love everything about it.  In some ways that might speak about how our society is right now, where we see everything as black and white, and people aren’t willing to admit that maybe most things are somewhere inbetween

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 12

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

I have to say that there is so much toxic entitlement in fanbases today, especially ones that are your typical “internet fanboy” movies.

People don’t seem to get that while, yes movies are intended to make money and please audiences, that they’re first expressions of art, emotions and creativity.  There seems to be this notion that each individual consumer is entitled for an artistic creator to cater exactly to their wishes, or the creator is soulless hack out to ruin what they love (which is also nonsense lol.  No filmmaker goes into production with the goal to enrage their target audience or make a bad product.  They go into it with either a goal to please audiences or create something they find to be quality.)

Ive seen it with quite a few franchises (blockbuster films and video games are the two most common mediums for this to happen in), where people go on a rage storm because for some reason they didn’t like a movie.  I mean to the extent where you’re spamming the feed of a director or creator calling them evil trash because they happened to dislike an installment.  Or going and spamming anything to do with the property about what you didn’t like, ruining the enjoyment of discussion from people who may have not hated it.

It may sound like I’m ranting about toxic fans of one franchise in particular, and while they’re definitely apart of it, I am talking about franchises and fanboy properties as a whole.  It’s really gotten ridiculous and it hurts the creative process because you put producers in a position where they never want to risk something daring out of fear of intense fan backlash.

Art forms are driven through innovation and trying new things.  And not all new things are going to please everyone, but pushing past old boundaries and exploring new space is what keeps art forms from going stale.  Toxic fandom, imo, is holding back art forms because people don’t know how to move on when they don’t like something.  

It’s possible to be a fan of something and not love everything about it.  In some ways that might speak about how are society is right now, where we see everything as black and white, and people aren’t willing to admit that maybe most things are somewhere inbetween

If I don't like something I move on after like an hour of being disappointed. I have so many things I like that I prefer to focus on those things. But I'm no Lordmandeep.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

It’s possible to be a fan of something and not love everything about it.  In some ways that might speak about how are society is right now, where we see everything as black and white, and people aren’t willing to admit that maybe most things are somewhere inbetween

So what do we do about it? We've been making these lamentations for the last decade. Clearly people aren't listening or they don't have the self-awareness to realize it's not just "someone else's problem". 

I think fan engagement as an idea is a great thing, but there has to be a way to enforce some sort of code of conduct for it. We need a stricter set of rules for fandoms properties beyond the agreed-upon boundaries of "freedom-of-speech".  

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

So what do we do about it? We've been making these lamentations for the last decade. Clearly people aren't listening or they don't have the self-awareness to realize it's not just "someone else's problem". 

I think fan engagement as an idea is a great thing, but there has to be a way to enforce some sort of code of conduct for it. We need a stricter set of rules for fandoms properties beyond the agreed-upon boundaries of "freedom-of-speech".  

Yeah I’m not sure what the answer is, I just know it’s gotten worse.  If anything I think the main mediums on the internet for fan engagement (twitter, Reddit, etc) have to recognize the problem and not tolerate it in their code of conduct.

Its hard to figure out what’s the middle ground between letting people express their opinion freely without turning a community toxic where a vocal 1-5% becomes overwhelming and makes discussions a sour and combative experience.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
9 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Yeah I’m not sure what the answer is, I just know it’s gotten worse.  If anything I think the main mediums on the internet for fan engagement (twitter, Reddit, etc) have to recognize the problem and not tolerate it in their code of conduct.

Its hard to figure out what’s the middle ground between letting people express their opinion freely without turning a community toxic where a vocal 1-5% becomes overwhelming and makes discussions a sour and combative experience.

I know we aren't perfect and we don't always do a good job. I know some people felt TLJ took over last weekend but I really don't think there's a way to avoid it when most of people posting wanted to talk about TLJ.

This weekend seems to be better after we unlocked it. But it's technically why we have a sunshine policy: an attempt to let people express their opinions without letting it take over. Of course when we enforce it the people taking it over complain.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Maybe a stricter flood control would help. Force people to wait five minutes before saying something thoughtless or impulsive

Five minutes is way too long. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I know we aren't perfect and we don't always do a good job. I know some people felt TLJ took over last weekend but I really don't think there's a way to avoid it when most of people posting wanted to talk about TLJ.

This weekend seems to be better after we unlocked it. But it's technically why we have a sunshine policy: an attempt to let people express their opinions without letting it take over. Of course when we enforce it the people taking it over complain.

This comment wasn’t really at our moderating team.  While some of our threads get close to being out of control, it’s not nearly has bad as the toxicity you see on say twitter where people spam a directors feed.

It’s more of a widespread internet problem that inevitably bleeds over some into this forum.  We can’t really fix the problem because it isn’t caused by anything we do here.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

One minute, then, I don't know. Hot thread restrictions for new members, maybe? Clearly asking nicely isn't working.

While we can exempt people from flood control (all staff members are exempt), it's a universal setting for those it applies to. I'll talk with the staff to see if they agree with increasing the flood control to 60 seconds.

Internet is a reflection of the society. It's not an Internet problem, it is a problem of our society. And it goes beyond fanbases. We are not mature enough to have civilized conversation and arguments. Fanaticism is everywhere, from politics, to sports, to films.

And no I don't think it's about a small minority creating problems, it is something very widespread.

• Like 1