Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

21 hours ago, dVmatrixmathi5xdU said:

there was this interesting show on PBS about 2001 A Space Odyssey.  I didn't catch much of it, was having it while trying to go to sleep, and I cannot recite that film for shit.  I cannot find it either after a few painful minutes of searching.  but i remember because the ideas caught my attention.  the narrator started going on about the Free Masons being related to the apes at the beginning and they were detailing how and why the apes were fighting and killing, and then I think there was some continuation about how technology would be our savior and that we were just infants next to the world up to that point.  I think that is what I got out of that.  Still have not waded into the fan mythology of 2001, but I'll read a book someday.

It is funny how in the Star Wars prequels, they are destroying the Jedi temple and destroying all the digital archives with the updated visual effects, and then in The Last Jedi (some 50-60 years after the events of Revenge of the Sith), they are burning the last Jedi Temple and the books.

Star-Wars-Timeline-THG-final.jpg

@WrathOfHan first names for this year's Candlelight line-up have been revealed. Mostly people who have done it before so far (many, many times, in some cases). No doubt they're gonna try and get some "exciting" names, which are usually announced much later.

11/22 – 11/23 – Chita Rivera

11/24 – 12/2 – TBD

12/3 – 12/6 – Neil Patrick Harris

12/7 – 12/9 – Whoopi Goldberg

12/10 – 12/12 – TBD

12/13 – 12/14 – Blair Underwood

12/15 – 12/17 – Gary Sinise

12/18 – 12/20 – Pat Sajak

12/21 – 12/23 – TBD

12/24 – 12/25 – Edward James Olmos

12/26 – 12/27 – Jodi Benson

12/28 – 12/30 – TBD

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Really liked He Got Game. I think it's one of my fave Denzel performances. It's a bit rough around the edges but I'm finding that's kind of the charm with Spike's stuff. Dude goes hard.

I've been meaning to see both that and 25th Hour for the longest time. I swear I'll get around to Spike Lee's underseen critically-acclaimed joints at some point.

In the meantime, my viewing tonight has consisted of Wings (trying to see every Best Picture Oscar winner) and Zombieland. Totally compatible movies, I know.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dVmatrixmathi5xdU said:

brainstorming...  I wonder if new generations are influenced towards better behavior by politics, Hollywood, and media over the older generations, or if stubbornness will always be there and vary. 

From what I can see is  some women  here in Canada who would yell at others for saying Policeman would  excuse their prime minister of engaging in unwanted groping of other women because they find him sexually attractive 

Edited by Lordmandeep

seeing a headline about Dwight Howard going to Washington Nationals and a top 3 east looking like this,

1. Toronto

2. Washington

3. Boston

4. Cleveland

going here and seeing DeAndre Jordan signing with Dallas, Julius Randle with New Orleans, and now Dwight Howard with Washington. 

*and of course Derrick Favors 2 year addition

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2018-nba-free-agency-tracker-lebron-cousins-are-locked-in-but-plenty-of-quality-players-remain/

I think about leg strength requirements for stop and go.  Seems if you can withstand running fast and stopping a lot, then the knees should be strong enough for life.  

Edited by dVmatrixmathi5xdU

26 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I'm tired of all the goddamn posers in the world. Days like today make me feel like Holden Caulfield

Go read the Mr. Antolini section (Chapter 24) to restore your faith in humanity.

Spoiler

Just stop, like, two pages before the end of the chapter so that (what I sure as hell hope was) a misunderstanding doesn't ruin it. 😉

Edited by Premium George
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I've been meaning to see both that and 25th Hour for the longest time. I swear I'll get around to Spike Lee's underseen critically-acclaimed joints at some point.

In the meantime, my viewing tonight has consisted of Wings (trying to see every Best Picture Oscar winner) and Zombieland. Totally compatible movies, I know.

25th Hour is goddamn phenomenal

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lmao. I’m still shocked people are giving him a pass.

It’s mostly because nobody really cares, and the people that do all the huff and puff about him on the Internet weren’t the ones buying his music in the first place.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dVmatrixmathi5xdU said:

I'm guessing laws were different decades ago.  I picture that scene in Dark Knight Rises when *insert Officer Blake talking to Gary Oldman* "when you cleaned the streets, you cleaned them good.  pretty soon we will be chasing down overdue library books."  I think in that scene, it could be like saying in previous decades laws were pursuing things in previous decades that today might be deemed socially unacceptable by possible standards- I'm not doing a complete check here, just going off an idea.  

Then the question arises whether or not those elders in charge should be punished for putting a ban on something that was eventually socially overridden, or should they be banned themselves from whatever company even if they are up to standard, or should nothing happen and let evolution run its course?  technology and democracy help, but I think it causes chaos, just like anything else probably.

Of course a single gripping allegation from 18 years ago should not be used to bring down a person's life work today but it seemed feminists only now realize this after their champion was accused of the same.

Its interesting how easily people who label an issue as nonpartisan like #metoo have now become quite tribal about it.

• Like 1