Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Edit: So I wasn’t just high during my first watch. This movie is actually about stopping an evil company from putting Ads into a video game.

And about how amazing it is that Ernest Cline knows obscure 1980s video game trivia. And about how you should spend more time in the real world when you can do and be basically everything you want on the internet while the real world is a dystopian shithole. And about how YOU KILLED MY MOTHER'S SISTER

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Why would you rewatch it to begin with? :gold: 

Because I really hated it the first time, but I thought if I could switch off my brain I could at leat enjoy the action.

i couldn’t do it. The movie purposefully looks like a video game and I’d rather play a video game rather than watch a video game.

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

And about how amazing it is that Ernest Cline knows obscure 1980s video game trivia. And about how you should spend more time in the real world when you can do and be basically everything you want on the internet while the real world is a dystopian shithole. And about how YOU KILLED MY MOTHER'S SISTER

What pisses me off about it is that it’s not a celebration of pop culture and it’s not a commentary on pop culture. It’s not a commentary on anything. The world of Oasis is just a video game, the real world in the film ain’t that bad. People still have jobs, order pizza, hang out with friends and family, the movie presents me with this VR world and wants me to care as if it’s the last bastion of good in on the planet. I just can’t do it. It won’t let me do it.

The references are also out of hand. They list out the messiah Halliday man’s favourite things and it’s just a bunch of the most well known and iconic movies, video games, and music of all time. He’s the most boring man to have ever lived. All the characters are obsessed with old pop culture but its all just so shallow. It feels as if they’re just saying the names and titles of things that existed, and when we live in a world of instant access to entertainment, reboot after reboot after reboot, and advertising so intense that you know the characters and stories of shit you have no interest in, every little reference the movie throws out there feels about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

I’m sorry to type so much. I just really fucking hated this thing.

• Like 4

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/how-dark-knight-saved-character-actor-david-dastmalchian-1127575

This is a great article.

Like nearly every director he's worked with, the first thing Villeneuve wanted to know when he arrived on set was what it was like working with Nolan on The Dark Knight.

Denis has the respect.

""I was teaching Arlo to throw a ball. Just having a day of gratitude and I look up and it's so surreal. It was like the first time looking at Batman. I look up and there is Christopher Nolan and his wife Emma [Thomas], just walking right by us in the park and looking down at me," he says. "We shake hands and I immediately was dumbstruck."

They talked about Dunkirk and Villeneuve, whom Dastmalchian was pleased to learn Nolan is a fan of. He thanked Nolan for helping give him the life he has today. Nolan made him feel like he'd been a welcome member of The Dark Knight team and that he'd done a good job with his scene in London."

• Thanks 2

the Blade Runner 2049 female hologram.  

Imagine having one of those being a tutor for all things subjects.

Watching A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 gave me that idea because a girl invites herself over to boys bedroom and assists him with cleaning the bedroom when he was supposed to clean it hours ago.  She is asking him where he wants all this stuff to go, basically doing it for him and overriding endless procrastination.  Wall-E maybe?  idk.

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

This tweet goes places with each additional word

He got off by claiming he had amnesia, needed time to regain his memory.  Waited 7 years and then said his memory was back but that the court denied his right to a speedy trial and asked for the case to be dismissed on that account.  They dismissed the case.

Apparently, his “bullets flying everywhere” Story didn’t even come back to him until apparently way later.

WTF.  This straight up reads that this guy murdered his mother and sister in cold blood, covered it up, got his case dismissed on technicalities, and is now going around bragging that he’s “a goody guy with a gun”. 

Not only did he brag about killing his mother, he bragged about it at a gun violence prevention seminar hosted by a Mother’s For Action group.

This guy is a representative in the government.  I thought Trump was bad, but this guy is on another level of evil.

• ...wtf 1

You Were Never Really Here. Hm. There are some things I think are great about it: Phoenix, the score, and the visuals. The story was a bit too barebones imo and left me a bit cold. Would still give it an 8 though, and it’s in my top 10 of thee year so far 🤔

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1