Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

The weekend threads have become flame wars for good stretches recently. I find it hard to believe you guys aren't paying attention.

I haven't been part of the weekend threads much due to travel and life stuff. Only been logging in the morning to check on Aquaman numbers. Saw the report, it fit all the criteria - reporters, definitely flame bait, CBM. Hand out the thread ban.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The entire reason we have poisoning the well is CBMs. The fight over CBMs got so bad we instituted it to hand out instant threadbans. That's also why we have the Fanboy wars thread where rules are very very lax and we let arguments and trolling go on for much longer.

Well at this point, if even a mild joke is "poisoning the well", maybe you should just not have CBM threads or discussion all together. These discussions offer very little value, and I've often felt like this place would be better without Marvel or DC threads. This is even more true considering the last few days. All the flame wars and the extra-sensitive fanboys surrounding them. If this site can't handle these movies, then maybe just take them away, or at the very least only just post their numbers and disallow any conversation about them. Besides, it's not like this is the only place on the Internet for CBM discussion.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Well at this point, if even a mild joke is "poisoning the well", maybe you should just not have CBM threads or discussion all together. These discussions offer very little value, and I've often felt like this place would be better without Marvel or DC threads. This is even more true considering the last few days. All the flame wars and the extra-sensitive fanboys surrounding them. If this site can't handle these movies, then maybe just take them away, or at the very least only just post their numbers and disallow any conversation about them. Besides, it's not like this is the only place on the Internet for CBM discussion.

We have actually discussed this believe it or not. Locked threads with just news posted by mods.

• Like 1

Disney/Poppins fans had every right to report someone for poisoning the well about the movie in the weekend thread.  None of them did (apparently).

DC fanboys, on the other hand, immediately report someone for making a sarcastic remark about a movie they liked.

Definitely says a lot about how CBM fans handle criticism of their favorite films in any way.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, reddevil19 said:

Are they the ingredients in your concoction to bring a pox on all their houses?

I have no power here. :lol: 

But this current moment I guess illustrates my personal struggle about posting here: I enjoy talking about movies but in general I don’t care about the box-office anymore. People are excited about BR’s run and AQUAMAN’s run and so forth and that just seems either uninteresting or outright dismal to me. So why am I here? I’m genuinely not sure, except that I guess I still like chatting with folks I’ve known online for years. Maybe I should just stick to the CC. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Disney/Poppins fans had every right to report someone for poisoning the well about the movie in the weekend thread.  None of them did (apparently).

DC fanboys, on the other hand, immediately report someone for making a sarcastic remark about a movie they liked.

Definitely says a lot about how CBM fans handle criticism of their favorite films in any way.

You’re not wrong.

While I agree we should just do away with CBM threads in general, it won't stop the toxicity we have around here. We're still going to have people starting shit in the Star Wars threads and we're still going to have people trolling threads of major films from the studios. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Eliminating one issue could spawn several more in its place.

9 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

While I agree we should just do away with CBM threads in general, it won't stop the toxicity we have around here. We're still going to have people starting shit in the Star Wars threads and we're still going to have people trolling threads of major films from the studios. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Eliminating one issue could spawn several more in its place.

I’d say get more strict and monitoring poster behavior (especially those who mainly hang around one movie/franchise). It’s not difficult sorting the rotten apples out if the effort is made.

2 minutes ago, Premium George said:

That's why I like tomb raider. He starts small wars in films that I have no idea are releasing. Like, battles have been faught over, a star is born and second act. 

A Star is Born is hardly small and it's definitely gonna be the kind of movie with flame war potential, due to the star.

57 minutes ago, grim22 said:

No one reports stuff, no one gets banned. Mods don't read all threads all the time. 3 people reported Nova's comment, it was definitely trollish, no points just a weekend thread ban.

Hmmmm, then I'd ask the mods to look and see who is reporting who, and why...

I mean, yes, every so often a long time user might post something so shocking and hateful that an insta-ban is appropriate...but I gotta think that most long-term posters on here a year+ probably deserve a gentle warning before a thread ban if they didn't completely "lose their poop" (as my boys say) in the reported post...

I mean, most of us long timers don't report posts b/c we can handle pretty much anything - see the Christmas weekend thread for its awesomeness...so, you lose that awesomeness if you crack down on the long-timers who have always really sold the site to the newcomers with their awesomeness...and no one wants to lose awesomeness!

PS - I think I've reported 2 posts in my entire time on this board - and those were for human concern for the person, not anything anyone said about movies...and I've gotten called quite a few things in my time here (although not lately:).  But again, I give the long timers (and really all posters) more leeway:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

So let me get this straight. Posters have been able to call Mary Poppins Returns a flop and Bumblebee a flop for the last two weekends despite their grosses being perfectly fine but I make one joking post about Aquaman and get thread banned? What a joke. Amazing what lengths this site will go to to protect a movie like Aquaman but will allow other films be called bombs and flops repeatedly despite them not being bombs or flops. Reading the last two weekend threads and weekday threads about how MPR and Bumblebee are bombs/flops from the same posters isn’t toxic though. That’s perfectly fine. 

BOT was a nice community for the time I was on here. Loved interacting with so many posters and learning so much about the industry. But I see the standards that are given towards certain films and how those standards don’t apply across the board. 

Peace out ✌️ 

I'm hoping you reconsider!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

A Star is Born is hardly small and it's definitely gonna be the kind of movie with flame war potential, due to the star.

Those two sentences are exclusive to each other. Tomb raider starts wars in small movies thread. A star is born is not a small movie but it had it's fair share of stans and haters.

I just want to say one thing really quick. I think for the most part the mods do a good job. They obviously have lives outside of BOT and can’t monitor everything 24/7 even though they try to do that. I have no issues with @grim22 thread banning me because if you look at the rules on this forum, trolling gets you thread banned. So my thread ban was warranted. My issue is that this rule gets enforced randomly and sometimes for the most minor infractions. While other posters can literally spend a whole weekend trolling and being fake concerned and nothing happens. And it seems that this rule only gets enforced when someone is trolling a CBM (specifically a DC movie). But I guess that says more about DC fans/fanboys than the mods since apparently the mods thread ban based on comments that get reported. *I hope that last sentence doesn’t get me banned from CC.* But that’s just the truth at least from my perspective it is. 

I said in my last post that I really do love coming here to talk to certain posters and learn about the industry. At the core, BOT is a great community for those of us who like to talk box office and movies. It’s why I’ve stuck around for as long as I have. But it’s just annoying when you see posters get thread banned for minor things (not just myself but I see it happen to other well known posters here who actually contribute to threads) but other posters who literally contribute nothing to threads can troll and nothing happens to them. And we all know these posters will be gone once a certain movie is gone from theaters. So really the posters who stick around and actually contribute to this site consistently get punished but the posters who only show up to troll while certain films are in theaters get to get away with things. 

Finally, I’m not trying to be a baby about this (even though it may come across that way) but this is something that’s been boiling up for quite some time now. 

• Like 15

As someone who’s been on the other side of the curtain, moderating rapidly gets messier and grayer than you might expect. There are a lot of judgment calls to make and even though in a perfect world a post would be examined purely on its own, context and the general overall situations in different threads come into play.

That being said, we have more than a few posters who essentially operate more or less either as trolls or a True Believers to a director or franchise and who don’t give a crap about anything else. It’d be a shame if they end up overwhelming the rest of the posters through sheer petulance alone. 

• Like 7