Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

How upset do I want to make you right now?

Oh if you're saying your tickets are that cheap, I might be upsetting you. :ph34r:

edit: In my hometown tickets are less than $6 in one theater. First run. Kind of a suburb, kind of an exurb.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Honestly, I shielded myself from inappropriate stuff more than my parents ever did. I was a very strict rules follower, so if it said "R" or TV-14 or TV-MA or whatever, I stayed far away from it. I still remember one time my brother was watching 300 on HBO, and I just bolted when he started playing it. I didn't even know about 97% of swear words until I was about 10 years old, when I discovered YouTube...yeah, I was a weird kid.

There's nothing weird about that tbh. I was the opposite (I didn't mind watching anything unless it had extreme gore) and I watched a lot of movies I can't believe I watched when I was younger (the two most vulgar films I watched as a kid was A Clockwork Orange and The Wolf of Wall Street both of which I watched when I was 13). I think this is a lot weirder.

I always checked the age rating film watching movies with my parents though and checked if those movies had nudity and sex because I thought it was too awkward. My parents were fine with me watching films with swearing (English isn't their first language so they didn't know most swear words) and medium violence though.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

There's nothing weird about that tbh. I was the opposite (I didn't mind watching anything unless it had extreme gore) and I watched a lot of movies I can't believe 

I watched when I was younger (the two most vulgar films I watched as a kid was A Clockwork Orange and The Wolf of Wall Street both of which I watched when I was 13). I think this is a lot weirder.

My god you make me feel so old.

Also yikes at A Clockwork Orange.

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Oh if you're saying your tickets are that cheap, I might be upsetting you. :ph34r:

edit: In my hometown tickets are less than $6 in one theater. First run. Kind of a suburb, kind of an exurb.

Nah I had a rejoiner at the ready if you had called SacTown a boondock, so it's all good. :)

And I WAS stretching the truth slightly.  Most of the tickets here for standard evening 2D showings are in the $10 to $14 range.  But some theaters have matinees at $8 with "early bird" showings (i.e. 10am) at $6.50.

A couple of theaters in town have Discount Tuesdays at $5 while most others are in the $6.25 to $6.50 range.

Sadly the theater closest to me is such a complete cheapskate that they aren't even taking part in Regal "Value Days".  Annoying, but whatchagonna do?

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Nah I had a rejoiner at the ready if you had called SacTown a boondock, so it's all good. :)

And I WAS stretching the truth slightly.  Most of the tickets here for standard 2D showings are in the $10 to $14 range.  But some theaters have matinees at $8 with "early bird" showings (i.e. 10am) at $6.50.

A couple of theaters in town have Discount Tuesdays at $5 while most others are in the $6.25 to $6.50 range.

Sadly the theater closest to me is such a complete cheapskate that they aren't even taking part in Regal "Value Days".  Annoying, but whatchagonna do?

wow damn.

SacTown.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

My god you make me feel so old.

Also yikes at A Clockwork Orange.

Yeah I really shouldn't have watched Clockwork but I was at the age where I thought watching edgy stuff was cool. Even with Wall Street, I'm pretty sure I idiolised Jordan Belfort for a while (even though the whole point of the movie is that Belfort's life is a shitty mess) along with a lot of other teens.

• Like 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah I really shouldn't have watched Clockwork but I was at the age where I thought watching edgy stuff was cool. Even with Wall Street, I'm pretty sure I idiolised Jordan Belfort for a while (even though the whole point of the movie is that Belfort's life is a shitty mess) along with a lot of other teens.

Hey if you live like Jordan Belfort, you might meet Tommy Chong.

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Tele actually is old enough to have seen Star Wars on its first release, right? :P

So am I. j1aUlyv.gif

Saw it something like 25 times.

Yes, I realize that does explain an awful lot.

Look, entertainment options back then were...

You know what?  Just get off my lawn and be done with it. j1aUlyv.gif j1aUlyv.gif j1aUlyv.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Pretty sure you actually could see Star Wars for $1 back in the day. Maybe even less if you were lucky. :ph34r:

Hell I remember literal dollar theaters.

If we're gonna get serious for a second, I think the $2 dollar run-down theater was waaaaaaaay on the other side of town, IIRC.  Actually lasted way into the 90s before closing for good.

*checks*

Huh, made it all the way to 2001.  Now that I think about it, sounds about right.

Still have a second run theater in town at $4 per ticket, actually.  That's... Not a theater I would recommend unless visiting 'dollar theaters' is your jam.

(haven't actually swung by there in years but I can't imagine it's much better than when I last checked it out)

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If we're gonna get serious for a second, I think the $2 dollar run-down theater was waaaaaaaay on the other side of town, IIRC.  Actually lasted way into the 90s before closing for good.

*checks*

Huh, made it all the way to 2001.  Now that I think about it, sounds about right.

Still have a second run theater in town at $4 per ticket, actually.  That's... Not a theater I would recommend unless visiting 'dollar theaters' is your jam.

(haven't actually swung by there in years but I can't imagine it's much better than when I last checked it out)

Ah. There's a $3.50 theater second run kind of near where I used to live. It's actually pretty cool and you can't hear the loud-ass Mexican music from inside the theater.

• Like 1

@MCKillswitch123 HOLY SHIT NOS AND UNIVERSAL HAVE NOT REACH AN AGREEMENT AND FAST & FURIOUS WON'T PLAY IN NOS CINEMAS. IT IS HILARIOUS. I AM IN SHOCK AND LAUGHING AT THE SAME TIME.

EDIT: APPARENTLY A FRIEND IS ON EL CORTE INGLÊS WHICH IS THE ONLY CINEMA IN LISBON SHOWING THE MOVIE AND IT IS A MAD HOUSE. IT IS SOLD OUT FOR NEARLY THE ENTIRE DAY ON THE 2 BIGGEST SCREENS. THEY ARE SCRAMBLING TO ADD MORE SHOWS. WHAT THE HELL NOS WE COULD BE HAVING ANOTHER RECORD BREAKING OW.

Edited by CJohn
  • Haha 2