Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@captainwondyful.  Thoughts?

Merch or Toy related, I suspect.  Or they're unveiling a new ride.  I doubt its content/new IP related since that would be in Hall D23. Anything important goes there.  It doesn't feel like an Avengers Retrospective since the Legends Ceremony is on Friday.  You'd want to do that on the same day to minimize your booking fees.  It doesn't feel like "Oh Hey We Just cast Josh Groban In Our Revival of Beauty And the Beast" since Disney Theatrical is *always* in D23, and that's your BIG announcement at the end of the 25th Years Celebration Panel. (Also, I have zero receipts on Groban in BATB. It's just more like, Don't you effing DARE deny me that Disney.)      

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Apparently the reason is that Universal wanted a much bigger share than usual of the box office and NOS Cinemas said fuck hell no. 

Well, Universal are greedy as fuck, then. Still, NOS should have conceded this time. F&F money is a lot of money, so it's not like they wouldn't get more out of this than they did out of your Dumbos and Mary Poppinses anyway.

13 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, Universal are greedy as fuck, then. Still, NOS should have conceded this time. F&F money is a lot of money, so it's not like they wouldn't get more out of this than they did out of your Dumbos and Mary Poppinses anyway.

Their weekly releases are Uglydolls and The Professor. This is the most unreal thing I have ever witnessed in my life. Almada Forum has 13 screens. 11 screens and a half are holdhovers.

• Astonished 1

So I went and saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood again this afternoon and saw three teenagers get kicked out for sneaking in during the opening credits. Don't think I've ever actually seen that happen at a movie before. Still not as strange as having cops (like, yes, actual cops) at an opening night screening of The Conjuring 2 a few years back.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Keanu Reeves have a huge hatedom in the 90s and early 00s because he was known as a bad actor? That's what I remember.

Hatedom might be a tad strong, but yes, he was something of a punchline for his acting limitations.

Edited by Webslinger

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Keanu Reeves have a huge hatedom in the 90s and early 00s because he was known as a bad actor? That's what I remember.

11 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Hatedom might me a tad strong, but yes, he was something of a punchline for his acting limitations.

lol Chris Pine is gonna be playing Walter Cronkite in a movie that was originally gonna have Seth Rogen play him instead. Now I can't help but imagine Seth Rogen in various Chris Pine movies including Captain Kirk now that we've reached the point where these two were considered for the same role.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm shocked, but apparently my theatre isn't getting Dora. This might change before Monday, but as it stands it is Racing in the Rain and Stories. 

Wow! That's that weekend's widest release. Maybe your theatre's audiences aren't kids/family heavy. You would know better obviously.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Wow! That's that weekend's widest release. Maybe your theatre's audiences aren't kids/family heavy. You would know better obviously.

No honestly, family releases are HUGE at my theatre. They don't want to have 4 family titles (Dora, Art, Lion King x2 screens) and only 1 screen of non-family films, and I guessed they decided Dora would be killed by WOM the quickest. 

edit: might end up being a mistake though. I don't sense any buzz for Art/Stories

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Someone I know has seen all the Aug 9 wide releases.

Says they're all bad. Granted, it's just his opinion, but yea..

I wouldn't doubt that. Though it's a real shame about The Art of Racing in the Rain because the book is very good and there's a lot of potential for an adaptation. They probably played it safe and sidestepped the mature parts of the novel. But I'm not at all surprised about the other films.

3 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I wouldn't doubt that. Though it's a real shame about The Art of Racing in the Rain because the book is very good and there's a lot of potential for an adaptation. They probably played it safe and sidestepped the mature parts of the novel. But I'm not at all surprised about the other films.

Again, it is just one man's opinion, so I won't take it as gospel quite yet.

Marley and Me got pretty meh reviews, and it's honestly a classic in the "cry movie" genre. Honestly, ask anyone under the age of 25, they've seen that movie and cried. I would say that audiences could really be into the movie even if it isn't a critical hit. 

• Like 1