Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

How upset do I want to make you right now?

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

Oh if you're saying your tickets are that cheap, I might be upsetting you. :ph34r:

edit: In my hometown tickets are less than $6 in one theater. First run. Kind of a suburb, kind of an exurb.

3 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

I saw Titanic for $4.25!

3 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

I legit through you were gonna tell them how you and Tele saw Star Wars for like a $1.

I've seen The Jungle Book (the first Disney version) early into its run for less than a dollar (as a non adult)

Average ticket price was around something under $2 then

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Tele actually is old enough to have seen Star Wars on its first release, right? :P

I think if his parents took him as a like ~ 2y old or so?

For me SW was my first self-paid ticket per self-earned money, as my family is too cultural arrogant to watch Sci-Fi and a few other genres.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Pretty sure you actually could see Star Wars for $1 back in the day. Maybe even less if you were lucky. :ph34r:

Hell I remember literal dollar theaters.

For SW's release year the average ticket price was €2.84 (= roughly $3.16) here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

We feel the movie would be better if it was funnier and more exciting. ... Do you think I'm sitting there and saying, “This could be so funny, but I can't be bothered”?

https://books.google.com/books?id=RspWDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA68&lpg=PA68&dq=we+think+maverick+would+be+better+if+it+was+funnier+goldman&source=bl&ots=3K26W15Ae9&sig=ACfU3U1Iet9cGoAltDWrmfAYU8JROCainA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6_pu06uHjAhXLJt8KHYomACsQ6AEwAXoECAgQAQ

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 HOLY SHIT NOS AND UNIVERSAL HAVE NOT REACH AN AGREEMENT AND FAST & FURIOUS WON'T PLAY IN NOS CINEMAS. IT IS HILARIOUS. I AM IN SHOCK AND LAUGHING AT THE SAME TIME.

EDIT: APPARENTLY A FRIEND IS ON EL CORTE INGLÊS WHICH IS THE ONLY CINEMA IN LISBON SHOWING THE MOVIE AND IT IS A MAD HOUSE. IT IS SOLD OUT FOR NEARLY THE ENTIRE DAY ON THE 2 BIGGEST SCREENS. THEY ARE SCRAMBLING TO ADD MORE SHOWS. WHAT THE HELL NOS WE COULD BE HAVING ANOTHER RECORD BREAKING OW.

Buffoon move by NOS. Three record breaking movies from a single distributor in the same year and they had to blow it. I can only imagine it was to give The Lion King more space, but COME THE FUCK ON, it's a fucking Fast & Furious movie, it's gonna do insane over here and it wouldn't hurt TLK anyway. Oh well.

13 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

My mom always let me watch whatever I wanted. This was the 1990s, and we didn't have cable and only one TV -- meaning whatever I was going to watch, I probably was going to watch with her and Dad.  The only thing she was super strict about was sex scenes (or stuff she considered "weird".  "No, Cap, you can't rent Clockwork Orange even if it's on your list of Best Movies")

I will always remember I was about nine, and they'd rented Jerry McGuire.  I told them I didn't want to watch it.  And then for some reason I had to ask a question - so I walked into the living room.  During the only sex scene in the movie.  Like the :45 second sex scene in the beginning.  I just was like, "Haaaay, What's Up, Oh, I will leave."

That always makes me laugh.

That and her telling me, "No, you're not renting Batman Returns again.  You've seen it twice."

We had identical parents...although it was my dad that brought videos home to watch for himself...and anyone who stumbled in.

But his theory was Sex movies - BAD!  Pretty Woman was the 1st R rated romance I was allowed to see (of course, I was 12, so still way younger than the box said:)...

Violent or language movies - GOOD!   With a sci-fi element - Absolutely AMAZING!  Terminator on video at 6 is a life changing experience.  Total Recall at 12 is another one:)...oh, for the Blockbuster Video days to return!:)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Buffoon move by NOS. Three record breaking movies from a single distributor in the same year and they had to blow it. I can only imagine it was to give The Lion King more space, but COME THE FUCK ON, it's a fucking Fast & Furious movie, it's gonna do insane over here and it wouldn't hurt TLK anyway. Oh well.

Apparently the reason is that Universal wanted a much bigger share than usual of the box office and NOS Cinemas said fuck hell no. 

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

:ohmyzod: 

It's on Saturday as well, with an announcement on the day before D23 opens.

Hmmm.

@captainwondyful.  Thoughts?

It's a full hour as well.  But it's also on Stage 28, so not the main stage.

Not really sure, actually.  Could be park related, but a some of the park stuff is on Sunday (though not all). 

No clue.  No clue at all, really.

====

Something worth a full hour, but also not the main stage.  Curious, the more I think about it.

Edited by Porthos

Haven't seen this posted yet:

Not terrible shocking since he's 91, but damn.  Modern theater wouldn't exist without him (or least not how it looks now).  

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's on Saturday as well, with an announcement on the day before D23 opens.

Hmmm.

@captainwondyful.  Thoughts?

It's a full hour as well.  But it's also on Stage 28, so not the main stage.

Not really sure, actually.  Could be park related, but a some of the park stuff is on Sunday (though not all). 

No clue.  No clue at all, really.

====

Something worth a full hour, but also not the main stage.  Curious, the more I think about it.

I think the only thing would be like a Fox presentation? They think Disney nerds won't care about Ad Astra or The King's Man?