Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I did hear of some parent who saw it just to make sure his 8 year old kid could see it too. In the USA.

Well I'm pretty conservative and I don't see anything about the original Spider-Man that would make it unsuitable for viewers just under 12 (as in ages 9-11 or something). Maybe younger than that there are concerns but overall it's pretty harmless with a few distressing scenes ("Finish it!" is was freaky and Spider-Man getting the crap kicked out of him by the Goblin at the end was actually pretty brutal).

My mom always let me watch whatever I wanted. This was the 1990s, and we didn't have cable and only one TV -- meaning whatever I was going to watch, I probably was going to watch with her and Dad.  The only thing she was super strict about was sex scenes (or stuff she considered "weird".  "No, Cap, you can't rent Clockwork Orange even if it's on your list of Best Movies")

I will always remember I was about nine, and they'd rented Jerry McGuire.  I told them I didn't want to watch it.  And then for some reason I had to ask a question - so I walked into the living room.  During the only sex scene in the movie.  Like the :45 second sex scene in the beginning.  I just was like, "Haaaay, What's Up, Oh, I will leave."

That always makes me laugh.

That and her telling me, "No, you're not renting Batman Returns again.  You've seen it twice."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

My mom always let me watch whatever I wanted. This was the 1990s, and we didn't have cable and only one TV -- meaning whatever I was going to watch, I probably was going to watch with her and Dad.  The only thing she was super strict about was sex scenes (or stuff she considered "weird".  "No, Cap, you can't rent Clockwork Orange even if it's on your list of Best Movies")

I will always remember I was about nine, and they'd rented Jerry McGuire.  I told them I didn't want to watch it.  And then for some reason I had to ask a question - so I walked into the living room.  During the only sex scene in the movie.  Like the :45 second sex scene in the beginning.  I just was like, "Haaaay, What's Up, Oh, I will leave."

That always makes me laugh.

That and her telling me, "No, you're not renting Batman Returns again.  You've seen it twice."

Your parents sound like they were the types to not shield you from everything remotely adult as a kid. That's good. I think kids who are the most shielded (ie. strict on what movies they're allowed to watch. hand sanitizer overload etc.) they're the most unprepared for adulthood.

I truly think it's one of the reasons I can be a jaded person about the world. I believe my sister and I were fed a lot of lies about the world outside our fairly normal, picture perfect upbringing and we've both had our issues throughout our twenties navigating adult life.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

(or stuff she considered "weird".  "No, Cap, you can't rent Clockwork Orange even if it's on your list of Best Movies")

lol. I had no idea what that movie was about when I saw it on that AFI list.

Stanley Kubrick allowed that movie to be banned in the UK for decades.

Also some British dude scammed people into thinking he was Stanley Kubrick. And he didn't even look like him.

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Your parents sound like they were the types to not shield you from everything remotely adult as a kid.

Nope. They were both too practical for that, and honestly, I think Mom wanted more of a "BFF" than a "kid."  It also helped being the only one of the generation (all of my siblings and cousins are like 10 years older).  I was always the only kid in the room.  It was just easier to treat me like an adult.

18 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Reminds me of several years when my mom randomly came across a ticket for when we saw Jerry Maguire over holiday '96 while cleaning her house. The price on the ticket was...less than $5. Those were the days.

• Like 1

Honestly, I shielded myself from inappropriate stuff more than my parents ever did. I was a very strict rules follower, so if it said "R" or TV-14 or TV-MA or whatever, I stayed far away from it. I still remember one time my brother was watching 300 on HBO, and I just bolted when he started playing it. I didn't even know about 97% of swear words until I was about 10 years old, when I discovered YouTube...yeah, I was a weird kid.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Nope. They were both too practical for that, and honestly, I think Mom wanted more of a "BFF" than a "kid."  It also helped being the only one of the generation (all of my siblings and cousins are like 10 years older).  I was always the only kid in the room.  It was just easier to treat me like an adult.

That makes sense!

9 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Honestly, I shielded myself from inappropriate stuff more than my parents ever did. I was a very strict rules follower, so if it said "R" or TV-14 or TV-MA or whatever, I stayed far away from it. I still remember one time my brother was watching 300 on HBO, and I just bolted when he started playing it. I didn't even know about 97% of swear words until I was about 10 years old, when I discovered YouTube...yeah, I was a weird kid.

I knew fuck shit and ---- before I was on youtube, I think. But only just before.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Reminds me of several years when my mom randomly came across a ticket for when we saw Jerry Maguire over holiday '96 while cleaning her house. The price on the ticket was...less than $5. Those were the days.

Shit that adjusts to just over $8. You can only get that price in the boondocks now.

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I remember $6.25 for the longest time in the early 2000's. Hard to remember a time with no PLF's or reserved seating. How were movies tracked then??

I am not sure if PLF/reserved seating are used today by tracker.

Back in the early 2000s, Nielsen/NRG were asking question to 400 movie-goers in the US per day (I imagine by phone and what not), the movie asked were every wide release (over 600 theater) to be released in 3.5 weeks or less, 3 times a week a report would be made available to people that have an abandonment to their service, with quadrant stats (F-25, F+25, M-25, M+25) about the level of unaided awareness, aided awareness, interest, first choice, you could pay to get pulse check 6 month/1 year,etc.. in advance to get some idea.

From those metrics regarding with how movie of similar genre with similar score openned people build equation, an R rated actionner first wekeend should be 3M+0.2 awareness among M+25 + first choice * 0.7, etc.... and that how tracking was done. And they adjust marketing strategy and they look how much tracking move like that.

I would imagine it is still like that today.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I am not sure if PLF/reserved seating are used today by tracker.

Back in the early 2000s, Nielsen/NRG were asking question to 400 movie-goers in the US per day (I imagine by phone and what not), the movie asked were every wide release (over 600 theater) to be released in 3.5 weeks or less, 3 times a week a report would be made available to people that have an abandonment to their service, with quadrant stats (F-25, F+25, M-25, M+25) about the level of unaided awareness, aided awareness, interest, first choice, you could pay to get pulse check 6 month/1 year,etc.. in advance to get some idea.

From those metrics regarding with how movie of similar genre with similar score openned people build equation, an R rated actionner first wekeend should be 3M+0.2 awareness among M+25 + first choice * 0.7, etc.... and that how tracking was done. And they adjust marketing strategy and they look how much tracking move like that.

I would imagine it is still like that today.

Thanks @Barnack. I realized soon after it was kind of a silly question, as tracking to us on this forum is not the same as industry tracking. I guess what I meant to say was we wouldn't have been able to do our own tracking, at least not without reserved seating and Pulse etc.