Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I imagine the pressure is probably much higher for this to be resolved than the WGA strike of the late 2000s since it might impact something like Spider-Man: No Way Home (which is likely not even close to being finished) from meeting its release date. We shall see over the next few days.

At the same time I do wonder why they couldn’t outsource some work to be completed internationally. Is that against the rules?

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

At the same time I do wonder why they couldn’t outsource some work to be completed internationally. Is that against the rules?

If a strike happens they will almost certainly try to do that. And in part, they’ll be able to. What complicates things (on their end) is that since everything is interconnected (they might have an editorial team in Vancouver while the sound mixing is happening in LA, for example). So they’d need to replace the whole pipeline — I don’t think there are enough facilities available worldwide; usually facilities are pretty fully booked already and you’d basically have tons of productions scrambling to book the ones not affiliated with IATSE crews. 

Also, high-level craftspeople might live and work internationally but still be a member of the respective Locals. I think in another post I mentioned John Seales, for example. Even though he’s a British cinematographer, he’s a member of Local 600 and so wouldn’t cross the pocket line. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

So this will impact any movie that still has some post work. I would think movies releasing next 4-6 weeks should be mostly ready but anything beyond would be a question mark. 

That said with so much political pressure an agreement will be reached soon so overall this wont make a huge impact. 

Based on IMDb, the following 2021 releases are still in post:

House of Gucci
Licorice Pizza
Don't Look Up
West Side Story
Spider-Man: No Way Home
The Matrix Resurrections
A Journal for Jordan
American Underdog

November will be fine for the most part, but losing NWH and Matrix over Christmas would be a gigantic blow to the box office. 

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Based on IMDb, the following 2021 releases are still in post:

House of Gucci
Licorice Pizza
Don't Look Up
West Side Story
Spider-Man: No Way Home
The Matrix Resurrections
A Journal for Jordan
American Underdog

November will be fine for the most part, but losing NWH and Matrix over Christmas would be a gigantic blow to the box office. 

If that were to happen I imagine Top Gun 2 (which has been finished for ages) would jump back up to Christmas, unless the Paramount marketing/distribution department really is completely broke these days.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If that were to happen I imagine Top Gun 2 (which has been finished for ages) would jump back up to Christmas, unless the Paramount marketing/distribution department really is completely broke these days.

If Paramount wasn't having massive leadership changes right now, I'd agree with this, but they seem hellbent on keeping it in 2022. Cyrano would likely go wide on Christmas instead of platforming into January since MGM would lose Gucci and LP. Uni could move The 355 up from January or Belfast back from November if they wanted to. I'm also guessing Amazon and Apple/A24 could push Tender Bar and Macbeth into a lot more theaters than they would get with a full Christmas release schedule.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

All it needed was a pandemic and strike!

Given that it was supposed to come out in July of 2020 originally there's a 100% chance that the still-set-for-January Morbius is finished too and could be moved up if need be. Jared Leto: The True Savior of Christmas!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

saw no time to die today and my local cinema now has a sign that tells you which movies playing have scenes after the credits. never seen this before.

Theater employees get pissed when people stay for end credits that don't exist.

That gum and popcorn ain't gonna clean itself.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Theater employees get pissed when people stay for end credits that don't exist.

That gum and popcorn ain't gonna clean itself.

The worst experience in my entire life was sitting through Batman v Superman and watching 15 minutes of boring credits, assuming there would be some post-credits scene or hidden trailer for Suicide Squad or whatever. While all the other moviegoers quietly left and the ushers started to clean up the theater, I politely sat at my seat, looking like a total square, waiting for a scene to come. It made perfect sense, since every other superhero movie did the same thing. Why would BvS be any different? But a post-credits scene never popped up. I spent all my time waiting for nothing. 😢

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Eric Soprano said:

The worst experience in my entire life was sitting through Batman v Superman and watching 15 minutes of boring credits, assuming there would be some post-credits scene or hidden trailer for Suicide Squad or whatever. While all the other moviegoers quietly left and the ushers started to clean up the theater, I politely sat at my seat, looking like a total square, waiting for a scene to come. It made perfect sense, since every other superhero movie did the same thing. Why would BvS be any different? But a post-credits scene never popped up. I spent all my time waiting for nothing. 😢

Funniest one I can remember is in India when I was let into my showing of Jurassic World 2 as the previous showings credits were still rolling. I got to see the post credit scene before I got to see the movie.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Funniest one I can remember is in India when I was let into my showing of Jurassic World 2 as the previous showings credits were still rolling. I got to see the post credit scene before I got to see the movie.

...there was a post credits scene for that?

23 minutes ago, Eric Soprano said:

i usually just google it while i'm sitting there if i'm not sure.

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

There’s this single-screen theater I regularly go to that if a screening is happening they’ll have the audio playing in the bathrooms, and that’s how I found out FK even had a post-credit scene.

30 minutes ago, cookie said:

There’s this single-screen theater I regularly go to that if a screening is happening they’ll have the audio playing in the bathrooms, and that’s how I found out FK even had a post-credit scene.

This sounds like it opens the door for a lot of funny scenarios depending on the movie. :lol:

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Sure, why not... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Broadway is proving themselves to be just as bankrupt for ideas as everyone claims Hollywood is these days. Just waiting for someone to give the green light to the Call Me by Your Name musical featuring the catchy and elaborate song-and-dance number "I Fucked a Peach."

• Haha 1