Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

rest of thread behind spoiler box

Spoiler

Makes a lot of sense.  As much sense as one can get reading tea leaves of an event five days old that is still shrouded by the fog of war.

---

Do want to pull out a couple of tweets out of the spoiler box though

I think it would be a grave mistake (perhaps quite literally) to draw any real conclusions about the fighting capability of the Russian Armed Forces (non-nuclear division) from the early days of this war.

For whatever reasons, and I think there are more than Kofman touches on here, this was a half-assed, bordering on sloppy effort on the part of Putin and his military.  The whys and wherefores of the motivation behind that sloppiness is rather immaterial to the fact that the Russian Army is far from a Paper Tiger and would react much much much differently in a Hot Full Scale European War.

And while yuking it up at follies and misadventures of some of the initial days of this war on Russia's part might feel really really good, that doesn't actually make it a good idea to base any sort of policy or expecations on that actually holding true in the future.

If there is a long term danger from this that I'm worried about, it's that people don't take the Russian Armed Forces as seriously as they should, causing a potential for some sort of miscalucation about just how deadly a military confrontation with them would be down the road.

It would be very very deadly.  Even without nukes.  And don't let the opening days of this war blind you to that.

The other thing is this:

May or may not be more effective.  But it does look like Russia is starting to get "more serious" about this war.  We'll see just how bad it get as they get more serious.

Edited by Porthos

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Just a reminder that

this man should absolutely not have the job he currently has.

He is directly saying "Hey, is starting WWIII here worthwhile" but trying to crouch it in language that doesn't actually make clear what he is saying.  He does come close, for once, by saying "risk, everything".

But this is a dude with a massive platform on Twitter and his "I'm just concerned here" schtick is massively irresponsible.

===

Thankfully, as Josh Marshall put it...

This is a massive tragedy.  Putin and the folks responsible need to suffer.  But not by starting WW 3.  

Another NBC talking head just casually suggesting NATO attack Russia.  These aren't serious people but when did that ever stop dangerous clowns from having lucrative media careers.

Edited by Ozymandias

Apparently Russia has now basicallly banned any foreign companies taking any assets or money out of Russia.

The studios are going to love that since they cannot get their profits from a Russian release.

Stuidos are already under pressure to put a freeze on releasing movies in Russia anyway. This could make the decision a lot easier for them.

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Another NBC talking head just casually suggesting NATO attack Russia.  These aren't serious people but when did that ever stop dangerous clowns from having lucrative media careers.

More upset about a jounalist making a dumb remark then Putin slaugher in the Ukraine I see.

1 minute ago, AJG said:

That Russia just banned foreign companies from taking any money out of Russia had something to do with this........

But ,yeah, all the studios will do this and make a big deal about standing up for the Ukraine, when the real reason is they can't make a dime out of it.

Not that Russians will have much money for movies the way the economy is collapsing ......

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The backtracking in the subsequent tweets is a thing to behold, tho.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

An act of aggression by the Americans???

Maybe the fact that Warners will be unable to get any of it's proftis out of Russia under the new regulations has something to do with this.....

We're probably about to see all studios yank their upcoming releases from Russia's schedule by tomorrow in solidarity. Leto's previous statements about Ukraine during his Oscar speech likely means that Morbius will end up banned there, assuming Sony doesn't beat them to the punch in pulling it (which they almost certainly will).

Jared Leto's Ukraine Shout-Out at the Oscars Did Not Air in Russia - Rolling Stone

Edit: well what do you know, Sony just pulled it.

Sony followed within the hour with its own announcement that it won’t release Morbius in Russia next month. Jared Leto’s Morbius, which is part of Sony’s shared universe based on characters from the Spider-Man mythos, was due out March 24 in the country.

‘The Batman’ Pulls Russia Release – The Hollywood Reporter

Edited by filmlover

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

COme to think of it, a number of our Russian posters have not been here recently. I wonder if this anything fo do with Putin's crackdown a few months ago on the Internet.

What are you on about? You're spouting hyperbolic nonsense one after another.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Is AMC using the long version of the Nicole Kidman ad again? The heartbreak line was missing when I saw Matrix in December but it was back when I saw Godfather last weekend.

I think so. Between that and the awful Bob's Burgers trailer, previews are more of a chore than usual.

• Like 1