Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

You know, while people are saying "she was 96" it's the suddenness of this which is causing pause for some, IMO.

She wasn't in the hospital ahead of time. Just two days ago she met with the new incoming Prime Minister of the UK.

So, yes, I can see why some people are surprised.  It is surprising when people just die out of nowhere with little real warning ahead of time, no matter what their age.  Especially when they've been a fixture of public life for nearly a century.

Edited by Porthos
two days not three, apparently
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Yes, she's 96. Yes she's been ill for a while. But we never expected her to go so quickly, she swore in a new pm just two days ago. 

Its crazy she was a young adult sitting across likes of Winston Chruchill all the way to current age.

That era seems so long ago

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Torontofan said:

Its crazy she was a young adult sitting across likes of Winston Chruchill all the way to current age.

And this is another point, as touched on here:

"While the world kept changing, she was a constant."

And the world has changed a hell of a lot since the 1940s.

For many in the US, outside of the sizable number who are colloquially called "Royal Watchers", this won't make as much sense as we don't have anyone that really compares.  Closest we come is, perhaps, some folks in the entertainment biz.

But for much of the Anglo speaking world?  She was a constant, as this tweet says.  I'd imagine a little movement under my feet as the ground shifts if I were in that position as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

And this is another point, as touched on here:

"While the world kept changing, she was a constant."

And the world has changed a hell of a lot since the 1940s.

For many in the US, outside of the sizable number who are colloquially called "Royal Watchers", this won't make as much sense as we don't have anyone that really compares.  Closest we come is, perhaps, some folks in the entertainment biz.

But for much of the Anglo speaking world?  She was a constant, as this tweet says.  I'd imagine a little movement under my feet as the ground shifts if I were in that position as well.

A phrase i heard is the queen is like a lamp fixture in your parents house that been there since you were alive

its like a constant...So her not being there is like a big deal in the commonwealth sphere.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Winston Chruchill was born in 1874 and Liz Truss was born in 1975, both were PMs during the Queen's tenure.

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

Interesting turn of events...

People can change their views a lot from 19 to 47, but for the Queen to die two days after they met...oof. The conspiracy theorists will be running wild with imagination.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

This is obviously getting overshadowed, but there was another high profile death in the US as well:

He was the lead anchor for CNN during the period where many, including myself, saw CNN as a north star during the late 80s through the very early 00s.  His presence was missed when he left.

RIP, Mr. Shaw. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Eric-occhio said:

So...have you seen it? I'm watching the Cars show right now. I'm on the episode that's parodying Mad Max.

i didn't watch it yet unfortunately. i thought they were gonna drag it out more. i was on the shitter when i saw the news though so same basic thing.

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

If the Queen dies now, she will never know how The Crown ends.

peter morgan probably happy his show has an ending. i think they're just about to go into production on the final season too.

i can hear a lot of fireworks outside btw.