Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

GOOP stays messy...

I always wonder about the assistant/social media manager who has to gently break the news to a star about why they're trending today....

The trainwreck aura surrounding her (and not even in a self-destructive way!) makes her one of the few celebrities that's actually entertaining to follow in the news tbh. Since Ryan Murphy is the only person who seems capable of bringing her out of retirement these days, I'm kind of crossing my fingers he casts her as Leslie Abramson in the upcoming Menendez Bros (lol he would tackle the subject of those two) season of Monster announced the other day that I will definitely watch with the expectation that it will be a disaster.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

The trainwreck aura surrounding her (and not even in a self-destructive way!) makes her one of the few celebrities that's actually entertaining to follow in the news tbh. Since Ryan Murphy is the only person who seems capable of bringing her out of retirement these days, I'm kind of crossing my fingers he casts her as Leslie Abramson in the upcoming Menendez Bros (lol he would tackle the subject of those two) season of Monster announced the other day that I will definitely watch with the expectation that it will be a disaster.

The love life dish is the kind of stuff most Best Actress winners would save for memoirs when they're in their 70s, and like, not when one of your kids is still in high school... Also, do her exes appreciate her candor? But she gives pop culture watchers something to talk about: "technically excellent" means what, exactly?

There was a "free the Menendez Brothers" movement on TikTok a while back, a Netflix series will make it so much bigger. Hadn't thought about casting, but Gwyneth would make sense if she really wants to do some serious acting again. 

On 4/9/2023 at 11:39 PM, filmlover said:

At this point any famous dude should just be like "nope" and walk in the other direction if she approaches them :lol:.

The Swiftis are skeptical, not just because they aren't fans of the pairing (or The Sun). The breakup from Joe was less than a month ago and different sources (including Deuxmoi blinds lol) have already linked her to Dylan O'Brien, Fernando Alonso and Bradley Cooper.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

22 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

There was a "free the Menendez Brothers" movement on TikTok a while back, a Netflix series will make it so much bigger. Hadn't thought about casting, but Gwyneth would make sense if she really wants to do some serious acting again. 

I'm mostly curious about who will play Erik and Lyle, because why cast one young hot actor to play an infamous real life murderer (ala Evan Peters and the backlash towards the inexplicably thirsty Internet reaction to his Dahmer portrayal) when you can have two? I can't imagine he'll approach Peters again, dude deserves better than to become typecast as killers that will pop culture will always be fascinated with (both through the real people and through fictional characters obviously inspired by them).

Edited by filmlover

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm mostly curious about who will play Erik and Lyle, because why cast one young hot actor to play an infamous real life murderer (ala Evan Peters and the backlash towards the inexplicably thirsty Internet reaction to his Dahmer portrayal) when you can have two? I can't imagine he'll approach Peters again, dude deserves better than to become typecast as killers that will pop culture will always be fascinated with (both through the real people and through fictional characters obviously inspired by them).

Peters is too old to play a Menendez brother when the murders happened: they were 19-21 or so, and Evan is 36. I know it's Ryan Murphy and maybe they're covering the later years, too, but give someone else a chance. Who are we kidding, he'll find a way to cast Sarah Paulson somehow...

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Watched Downsizing and went onto letterboxd to rate it and a I'm confused as to why a lot of people think Hong Chau's character was written in a racist way. 

IIRC there was criticism about the character's accent and stereotyping... Hong Chau says she drew from people she'd grown up around in refugee camps. By 2017 there was a lot of sensitivity about Hollywood's history of finding "comedy" at the expense of Asians for how they spoke English, and making Asian-American actors speak in a more "ethnic" way because it's so "hilarious". So, I think some people reflexively had a bad reaction and ascribed the worst intentions to the character, the movie and Alexander Payne.

A Million Little Things just had its series finale. The little This Is Us copycat who could, can't believe it got to 5 seasons!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

IIRC there was criticism about the character's accent and stereotyping... Hong Chau says she drew from people she'd grown up around in refugee camps. By 2017 there was a lot of sensitivity about Hollywood's history of finding "comedy" at the expense of Asians for how they spoke English, and making Asian-American actors speak in a more "ethnic" way because it's so "hilarious". So, I think some people reflexively had a bad reaction and ascribed the worst intentions to the character, the movie and Alexander Payne.

It also seems like a lot of people thought the accent was supposed to be a joke because some audiences seemed to find it funny. It's pretty stupid tbh that people seemed to geniunely think that that the intention of the accent was to be funny.

• Sad 1

On 5/3/2023 at 8:07 PM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Swiftis are skeptical, not just because they aren't fans of the pairing (or The Sun). The breakup from Joe was less than a month ago and different sources (including Deuxmoi blinds lol) have already linked her to Dylan O'Brien, Fernando Alonso and Bradley Cooper.

Fernando Alonso is absolutely the funniest rumor out of all of this. 

The ultimate "Old Man Yells at Cloud" 

The American Graffiti actor then proceeded to defend Laurence Olivier’s performance in the 1965 film Othello, in which Olivier played the Shakespeare lead role in blackface.

“He played a Black man brilliantly,” Dreyfuss told Hoover. “Am I being told that I will never have a chance to play a Black man? Is someone else being told that if they’re not Jewish, they shouldn’t play The Merchant of Venice? Are we crazy? Do we not know that art is art? This is so patronizing. It’s so, it’s so thoughtless, and treating people like children.”

Falling Laughing GIFs | Tenor

15 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Fernando Alonso is absolutely the funniest rumor out of all of this. 

Taylor dating a top athlete would have been fun from the pop culture angle of watching the fandoms collide. I'm wondering which major sport and Swifties would have the least overlap...

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

The ultimate "Old Man Yells at Cloud" 

Falling Laughing GIFs | Tenor

Maybe there's an argument about employers collecting some of the inclusion standards information, but they won't really change art that much. The new standards are so lax that even a movie like 1917 easily qualifies. People just want to be mad.

15 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Taylor dating a top athlete would have been fun from the pop culture angle of watching the fandoms collide. I'm wondering which major sport and Swifties would have the least overlap...

Hockey.  Definitely hockey.  Would have said baseball, but Swift is huge in the same areas of the country where baseball is strong. 

(soccer might be a strong second choice here as well) 

7 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Maybe there's an argument about employers collecting some of the inclusion standards information, but they won't really change art that much. The new standards are so lax that even a movie like 1917 easily qualifies. People just want to be mad.

I agree that the new rules are a bit silly (you would probably have to go back several decades to find a Best Picture nominee that would be disqualified under the requirements) but it doesn't make his Grumpy Grandpa response any less amusingly oblivious and tone deaf, especially the part where he argues that he should be able to don blackface in 2023. :hahaha:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Porthos said:

Hockey.  Definitely hockey.  Would have said baseball, but Swift is huge in the same areas of the country where baseball is strong. 

(soccer might be a strong second choice here as well) 

Also MMA, wrestling (if it' counts as a sport) or basketball. NBA Twitter would have endless "Is Taylor Swift the LeBron of pop music?" arguments.

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

I agree that the new rules are a bit silly (you would probably have to go back several decades to find a Best Picture nominee that would be disqualified under the requirements) but it doesn't make his Grumpy Grandpa response any less amusingly oblivious and tone deaf, especially the part where he argues that he should be able to don blackface in 2023. :hahaha:

Blackface is out but maybe he could play ScarJo's dad in something, if she ever gets around to playing a tree...

His son is super obnoxious on Twitter, good to know where he gets it from.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl