Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

40 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

My Tinfoil Hat Feelings on Social Media Apps

Twitter: Owned by a crazy guy who is unhinged

Tik Tok; Chinese Owned Psy Op against the West to turn their youth against them ( XD)

Instagram: A wild and crazy place but dont feel there is some evil intention apart from making money. 

Facebook:  Run by Lore as a long term project to Cause Shit and Foster Chaos:

hero-image.fill.size_1200x675.v161427016

(People think he's Data, but I know the truth!  :rock:)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

One last thing.

After thinking about it a bit, while I understand where @Torontofan is coming from with his critique of TikTok, I don't think there's actually that many people defending it on Twitter/elsewhere.  Oh, some to be sure.  But I do think there is still residual hostility toward TikTok so I don't think the hypocrisy accusation really sticks.

Where I do think it is much better placed is in the sudden embrace of Former Public Enemy Number One, Mark Zuckerberg and his Threads project/Twitter alternative.  Touched on this a while ago in this thread, but *I* certainly haven't forgotten Why Everybody Hated Zuck during the Trump years.  Not to get too political, but I certainly remember the charges of political interference and spreading misinformation, as well as how Facebook perhaps facilitated mass killings in Myanmar.

Plus, you know, his atrocious record when it comes to privacy.

But this post isn't to point fingers at folks suddenly pivoting to Zuck, as it really isn't that productive, plus I ain't really in the mood for that discussion.  And there is something to be said about choosing lesser of two evils/Zuck already has all my info, so "eh".

No... It's more to point out that ALL ELON MUSK HAS TO DO TO "REHABILITATE" HIS IMAGE IS TO... JUST. STOP. POSTING. SO GODDAMN MUCH.

I am convinced that one of the reasons why Threads has taken off, to the relative degree that it has, is because Zuck doesn't constantly poke folks in the eyes with provocations.  It's not so much that there's a New Shiny Object for folks to hate on (though there is that), as in Zuck learned a lesson a while back about how provoking your own user base might be a tad counterproductive.

I don't actually think Facebook is all that much better than it was from around '17 to '21 or so when most of the shit was rained down on it and the Delete Facebook movement was at its height.  Probably more or less the same, but I haven't bothered to really look into it.  What I do think is happening is that Zuck isn't going out of his way to antagonize folks, and that if someone just took Elon Musk's smartphone away from him, a ton of his problems would go away.

Not all of them as there are real structural problems facing Twitter.  But Elon wanting to be Shit Poster In Chief has some... deleterious effects on his company. 

Zuck is also now meta on Meta which helps with the rehabilitation bit

Post by @zuck
View on Threads
  • Like 1

Social media is fertile ground for information manipulation, it’s that simple. It’s all in the same shit bag when it comes to that, it’s just that their owners might have different objectives. Pick your poison sort of deal.

Still, Musk does come off as the worst of the poison right now.

• Like 2

After a day that saw a dozen major advertisers put any spending on X/Twitter on hold over antisemitic amplification by Elon Musk, the man himself tweeted a seemingly not-so-subtile dig at those companies.

Promoting X/Twitter’s Premium service, the social media platform owner wrote, “Premium+ also has no ads in your timeline.” Musk then followed with what he may see as a selling point – true or not – for his ad-free service. “Many of the largest advertisers are the greatest oppressors of your right to free speech,” he wrote – as you can see below:

Musk: Advertisers “The Greatest Oppressors Of Your Right To Free Speech” – Deadline

Taking the "my own actions are everyone's fault but mine" approach is always a bold strategy, let's see if it works out (spoiler alert: it won't).

Just remember folks: Freedom of Speech does not equal Freedom of Consequence.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Social media is fertile ground for information manipulation, it’s that simple. It’s all in the same shit bag when it comes to that, it’s just that their owners might have different objectives. Pick your poison sort of deal.

Still, Musk does come off as the worst of the poison right now.

Instagram got blamed for ruining teen girls' self-esteem. Snapchat is being sued by multiple families for facilitating fentanyl sales to minors. TikTok videos are routinely cross-posted as YouTube shorts and IG reels. Twitch isn't just a gamer site, it's full of influential and some would say dangerous politics. Twitter too. Any social media site can be used for good or ill will.

Cassie, Sean 'Diddy' Combs settle lawsuit (content warning: abuses of various natures)

That was fast but just in a day, more negative Diddy stories and old tweets were being unearthed:

The latter account hasn't posted since 2013. And companies just want to delete inactive accounts...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

I think the issue IhHave is Facebook and IG are seen as evil and Twitter as well due to Musk.  Tik Tok I find gets a pass as some fun silly happy app...The negatives of Tik Tok are not really talked about as much as FB, IG and Twitter. 

TikTok is blamed for shortening kids' attention spans and teachers said post lockdowns it's hard to make kids focus in class. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/tik-tok-is-ruining-kids-brains-and-heres-why/ar-AA1ghxNJ

Over 15-20 kids have died from the one single TikTok Blacking Out Challenge. Imagine how many from all the other challenges.

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/tiktok-blackout-challenge-deaths-b2236669.html

TikTok trivializes mental health ailments as some clout boost. People just self-diagnose themselves without actually seeking professional help which can lead to actually worse mental health outcomes and there a massive explosion of mental health issues with zoomers. 

TikTok live is like Grooming Central online right now and they put a slap on the wrist for pedos. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexandralevine/2022/04/27/how-tiktok-live-became-a-strip-club-filled-with-15-year-olds/?sh=1a597c8962d7

I know other apps have as big issues but they are well known. Tik Tok I feel still gets a pass by many. 

My point isnt to say TikTok should be banned but it needs to be called out more for how toxic it is and especially as its user base is very young and impressionable vs Twitter and IG. 

Edited by Torontofan

I am not going to be around for a bit. 

We are on the last days with my grandmother.  She is home with us, but she has stopped eating solid food, is having a hard time swallowing, and breathing heavy. Could be tomorrow, could be next week. She is 94 (almost 95!), so this has been a long time coming. It’s still hard. Especially on my Aunts and Mom. They asked if I was okay, only to say I am about to mimic Roman Roy’s “I am fine, I pre-grieved” to “massive breakdown” to a tee. 

That said, I am not peacing out completely. I check the reports daily, and my Inbox and Telegram are open. I DO want to finish/post the 1993 before the end of the year. And that will be a welcomed distraction. So look for that by year’s end. 

❤️

• Heart 5
  • Sad 2