Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Now Clooney has said "my turn."

They all want the next rung of the EGOT. I guess David Strathairn has aged past the Murrow role and Clooney is obviously a bigger name, but is he a good fit? Hopefully, the stage stint goes better for George than it did for his friend Julia back in the day.

I've gotten into steadily following Broadway box office in the past year or two. It's an interesting mix of long running powerhouse hits, short bursts of star power, and flops limping along in search of an infusion of sales—if they could just make it to the holidays, summer, Tony nominations, the next stunt casting, etc.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

"Live THeater is the Actor's Native  Country, and every actor , even if he primarily works in other meidums, should return to have his passport renewed".

Laurence Olivier.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

"Live THeater is the Actor's Native  Country, and every actor , even if he primarily works in other meidums, should return to have his passport renewed".

Laurence Olivier.

It's always interesting to see which actors can shine on stage and screen vs the type only really good at one or the other. It isn't always the ones you'd expect. British actors who make it in Hollywood have a reputation for being "theatre trained" but many American stars are also drama school alums.

Kendrick wins the chart battle:

16 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

They all want the next rung of the EGOT. I guess David Strathairn has aged past the Murrow role and Clooney is obviously a bigger name, but is he a good fit? Hopefully, the stage stint goes better for George than it did for his friend Julia back in the day.

I've gotten into steadily following Broadway box office in the past year or two. It's an interesting mix of long running powerhouse hits, short bursts of star power, and flops limping along in search of an infusion of sales—if they could just make it to the holidays, summer, Tony nominations, the next stunt casting, etc.

RDJ is also looking to compete for The Triple Crown over the next year, though I wouldn't bet on it actually happening considering how surprisingly buzz-less for a prestigious HBO show The Sympathizer has been ever since it premiered a month ago (with 2 episodes remaining to air) and his Broadway show opening this fall meaning he's likely spending most of his time right now preparing for that instead of engaging in FYC stuff (and unlikely to attend the Emmy ceremony mid-September regardless of whether he's nominated or not).

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

RDJ is also looking to compete for The Triple Crown over the next year, though I wouldn't bet on it actually happening considering how surprisingly buzz-less for a prestigious HBO show The Sympathizer has been ever since it premiered a month ago (with 2 episodes remaining to air) and his Broadway show opening this fall meaning he's likely spending most of his time right now preparing for that instead of engaging in FYC stuff (and unlikely to attend the Emmy ceremony mid-September regardless of whether he's nominated or not).

Limited Series is so empty he still might win anyway... Emmy campaigning happens but it's a little easier to succeed without it in the less competitive categories, especially if you're a recognizable name.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Limited Series is so empty he still might win anyway... Emmy campaigning happens but it's a little easier to succeed without it in the less competitive categories, especially if you're a recognizable name.

I feel like Jonathan Bailey has the most buzz out of everyone in contention for that category besides RDJ tbh. Fellow Travelers and especially Bridgerton have made him an Internet's Boyfriend, and his star is clearly on the rise since a major Hollywood studio has cast him in key lead roles in not one but two expensive, IP-driven tentpoles arriving over the next two years. And as much as we like to pile on Critics Choice for being a goofy awards show (they are), winning there probably gives him advantage over the others in the race. The Emmys have also proven time and time again, especially recently, that they're not nearly as easily wowed by certified Movie Stars going the TV route as the perception would seem to indicate (though RDJ is a one-time previous nominee).

Edited by filmlover

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

If Shogun is in the limited series category, nobody will be winning any awards besides them.

Multiple trades are reporting a strong possibility of a Shōgun Season 2 and a move to the regular drama categories at the Emmys.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I feel like Jonathan Bailey has the most buzz out of everyone in contention for that category besides RDJ tbh. Fellow Travelers and especially Bridgerton have made him an Internet's Boyfriend, and his star is clearly on the rise since a major Hollywood studio has cast him in key lead roles in not one but two expensive, IP-driven tentpoles arriving over the next two years. And as much as we like to pile on Critics Choice for being a goofy awards show (they are), winning there probably gives him advantage over the others in the race. The Emmys have also proven time and time again, especially recently, that they're not nearly as easily wowed by certified Movie Stars going the TV route as the perception would seem to indicate (though RDJ is a one-time previous nominee).

I don't know why I had mentally placed Bailey in Lead because that happens sometimes with a series vs movies, multiple leads from a show in the same category. And I'd seen him promoting it right alongside Bomer everywhere. But Supporting improves both their odds.

Showtime hasn't had the same juice with the Emmys as HBO or Netflix or FX recently. One advantage with Limited Series is that the voters have to change it up yearly.

A vlogger I follow posted a Tenacious D concert from last night in the UK. Huh, they're on a 2023-24 world tour. So that's what Jack Black has been up to...

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Multiple trades are reporting a strong possibility of a Shōgun Season 2 and a move to the regular drama categories at the Emmys.

Maybe it'll get the White Lotus treatment from season 1 :D 

7 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I don't know why I had mentally placed Bailey in Lead because that happens sometimes with a series vs movies, multiple leads from a show in the same category. And I'd seen him promoting it right alongside Bomer everywhere. But Supporting improves both their odds.

I watched all of Fellow Travelers and while Bailey is definitely a co-lead, there's actually a decent portion of the show that focuses exclusively on Bomer's (unquestionably the lead) complicated family life and how the Allison Williams character (she's great in this too btw) puts up with an obviously loveless marriage that you could make a case for Bailey being placed in Supporting. I doubt there's a website that keeps score of the screen time for Emmy acting nominees like there is one for the Oscars (shows are structured differently than movies, there's 3x the number of acting categories - and that's just the main ones handed out during the televised ceremony), but I'm sure you could find much more egregious examples of Emmy fraud.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

*starts Googling for just the right "I have questions" gif*

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Still haven't started Shogun yet (soon!) but even before recent developments about it looking to be renewed there were discussions that it and other shows were looking to make the switch from Limited to Drama because of how barren that field is (thanks, strikes!). The frontrunner right now for that category is the divisive final season of The Crown and even less people want to see that win than there were for the divisive final season of Game of Thrones. 

Comedy is almost certain to be another The Bear sweep though the return of Hacks/Jean Smart gives Ayo (upgraded from Supporting to Lead this season) competition.

Edited by filmlover

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Maybe it'll get the White Lotus treatment from season 1 :D 

Isn't White Lotus the reason the Emmys changed the Limited/Drama Series rules? I'm surprised the Shōgun people aren't doing more to shut down reports of another season (at least until Emmy voting is over). Get the Limited Series wins, then wait a few weeks to conveniently find inspiration to continue the story. Maybe it's true that the Drama field isn't as competitive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Isn't White Lotus the reason the Emmys changed the Limited/Drams Series rules? I'm surprised the Shōgun people aren't doing more to shut down reports of another season (at least until Emmy voting is over). Get the Limited Series wins, then wait a few weeks to conveniently find inspiration to continue the story. Maybe it's true that the Drama field isn't as competitive.

IIRC The White Lotus was originally positioned as an anthology series that would feature a new cast of characters each season. It wasn't until it was revealed Coolidge would be returning as Tanya that it instantly lost that Limited designation.

Big Little Lies was another situation where there was a lot of "maybe we will, maybe we won't" from those involved re: whether there would be more. The second season wasn't officially given the green light until December '17, or three months after its Emmy glory.

Given that no such thing seems to be occurring with Shogun and its possible move, it seems like they are assessing just how weak the Drama field is this year and want to block The Crown from winning if they can. That's the only show in that category this season with any "winning" to it - Fallout is a quality series but doesn't seem to be held in nearly as high regard as The Last of Us, while The Morning Show has never been considered as an amazing series since it began so they would probably just return to a show that's already won Series previously.

• Like 1