Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On 8/13/2024 at 2:33 PM, filmlover said:

Reminds me of when Julia Roberts attempted Broadway and earned some of the worst reviews of her career. I imagine most actors welcome the challenge, especially if you're someone like Keanu who has never been held in high regard as a film actor over a career that's now spanned five decades and have something to prove.

Paul Rudd and a pre Hangover Bradley Cooper were her co stars in Three Days of Rain. 

I'm a theatre fan first and nothing compares to seeing actors perform in front of you in that very moment. There are some actors who are good on screen but are electric on stage. To give an example, Andrew Garfield I thought was good in various roles on screen but when he did Angels in America at the National Theatre, my appreciation went a lot higher.

Weirdly the opposite is true for some actors, Nathan Lane for example is fantastic as a stage actor but IMO he's only decent as a screen actor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

There's always a slot with her name on it so hey .... first time a TP movie will get an Oscar nom.

Has anyone even seen the last five movies she's willed into becoming Oscar-nominated films to confirm that they're real? Flamin' Hot is the only one of her recent nominations that feels like it actually exists.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Has anyone even seen the last five movies she's willed into becoming Oscar-nominated films to confirm that they're real? Flamin' Hot is the only one of her recent nominations that feels like it actually exists.

I followed the progress of Breakthrough because I grew up in a church that took group trips to the movies for "faith-based" films like that. I watched This Is Us at the time and Breakthrough starred Chrissy Metz.

It's fun to see who ends up in that genre because they are true believers vs needing the money. I watched one that was an Amazon Original, starring Dennis Quaid with Heather Graham as the dutiful Christian wife:

13 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I followed the progress of Breakthrough because I grew up in a church that took group trips to the movies for "faith-based" films like that. I watched This Is Us at the time and Breakthrough starred Chrissy Metz.

It's fun to see who ends up in that genre because they are true believers vs needing the money. I watched one that was an Amazon Original, starring Dennis Quaid with Heather Graham as the dutiful Christian wife:

I believe that movie was supposed to go to theaters originally but ended up sold to Amazon.

Meanwhile our first look at the Ryan Murphy show that everyone should be watching for its award-winning main stars but will mostly be tuning into just to see if Travis Kelce can act lmfao:

And on a similar note, our full glimpse at American Sports Story (both these shows premiere next month):

Edited by filmlover

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And on a similar note, our full glimpse at American Sports Story (both these shows premiere next month):

Oh no, now a new question will forever haunt me, why is OJ an American Crime Story and Aaron Hernandez an American Sports Story?

14 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

Oh no, now a new question will forever haunt me, why is OJ an American Crime Story and Aaron Hernandez an American Sports Story?

The Impeachment season of American Crime Story ended up being a nonevent after the success of the OJ and Andrew Cunanan ones, so I'm guessing that series is over, especially since Murphy seems to be reserving the "infamous serial killer" storylines for Monster on Netflix (the next season is focusing on the Menendez brothers and is expected to premiere by the end of the year). Also, he and FX/Disney are likely hoping that the "Sports" label will bring in a demo that usually doesn't watch programs from the Murphy "American Story" household. They also announced another series called American Love Story to expand the brand but there hasn't been any movement on it since it was announced alongside Sports Story years back.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Impeachment season of American Crime Story ended up being a nonevent after the success of the OJ and Andrew Cunanan ones, so I'm guessing that series is over, especially since Murphy seems to be reserving the "infamous serial killer" storylines for Monster on Netflix (the next season is focusing on the Menendez brothers and is expected to premiere by the end of the year). Also, he and FX/Disney are likely hoping that the "Sports" label will bring in a demo that usually doesn't watch programs from the Murphy "American Story" household. They also announced another series called American Love Story to expand the brand but there hasn't been any movement on it since it was announced alongside Sports Story years back.

Issue was the  OJ series was quite entertaining as the court case is highly entertaining lol 

3 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Issue was the  OJ series was quite entertaining as the court case is highly entertaining lol 

I mean yeah lol. Blame for the "Reality" TV world that we live in today more or less lies on the doorsteps of the Simpson case. 

I'm just glad that they're not dropping the new season of Monster in the fall in time for spooky season. The photos of all those kids who went as Jeffrey Dahmer for Halloween a few years back: 🤮

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I recall them working on a Studio 54 season of Crime Story around the same time they announced Hernandez but there hasn’t been much movement on it. You’re probably right about the move towards other series.

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I recall them working on a Studio 54 season of Crime Story around the same time they announced Hernandez but there hasn’t been much movement on it. You’re probably right about the move towards other series.

I wonder if Murphy plans to continue with Feud after Capote vs. the Swans just earned a bunch of Emmy noms (FWIW I actually finished watching it the other day as part of my Emmy catch up, it was interesting but not as effective overall as the Bette & Joan season IMO, although it's very well-acted and Naomi Watts gives one of her best performances in it). I know a Diana vs. Charles season with Rosamund Pike and Matthew Goode was planned a while ago but never happened, but modern day Hollywood is proving the good old-fashioned feud (Wilde vs. Pugh, Sacha Baron Cohen vs. Rebel Wilson, and unfolding in real time right now, Lively vs. Justin Baldoni lol) is still very much alive and well. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 6:43 AM, Jonwo said:

Weirdly the opposite is true for some actors, Nathan Lane for example is fantastic as a stage actor but IMO he's only decent as a screen actor.

I’ve only seen him in Mousehunt, The Birdcage, and Beau is Afraid but he gives the best performance in all three movies

Obviously forever Nathan Lane's most iconic performance:

timon and pumbaa lion king gif | WiffleGif

In related news (and news that personally delights me lol), it was announced this week that Hulu has wasted no time in picking up the multi-cam sitcom with him and the one and only Matt Bomer (Ryan Murphy's also a producer on it along with them). Am I thrilled about either watching the show or that something this fluffy is his TV follow-up to his Emmy-nominated career-best performance? No, not really, but since this means he's going to be officially on Disney payroll for a while (20th Century is the studio behind this and White Collar, which Disney also now owns and has a revival in the development stage, plus I imagine they might book him for a movie role as well), I can't be at all mad at this development, so looking at the glass half full.

American Crime Story should do the rise and fall of Enron as a topic. It's been done as a documentary and a TV movie but never a miniseries. Sam Bankman-Fried would make a great miniseries as well. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

American Crime Story should do the rise and fall of Enron as a topic. It's been done as a documentary and a TV movie but never a miniseries. Sam Bankman-Fried would make a great miniseries as well. 

Ben Schwartz is obviously the only man for this job lol.

Although Joe Keery bears enough of a resemblance that he could work as well.