Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Does it take much energy to sit in a chair for two hours?

When I have homework to do? yes m8

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Then see something bro. No one's stopping you.

There's nothing starting until 7 or later. I'd rather not be alone at night because of sketchy areas and barren roads, and I doubt my dad is in the mood to see something after working all day :kitschjob: 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

When I have homework to do? yes m8

There's nothing starting until 7 or later. I'd rather not be alone at night because of sketchy areas and barren roads, and I doubt my dad is in the mood to see something after working all day :kitschjob: 

This will be his reaction to The Shape of Water:

This makes me shakenly angry, more so than any of the Hollywood cases.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5a51f387e4b089e14dbb79a8

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/580193284/amid-metoo-evangelicals-grapple-with-misconduct-in-churchtoo

Maybe it’s because I grew up in an evangelical church so it hits close to home. It makes me wonder if the church I had grown up in ever did the same for a member?  If they ever covered up somebody in a position of power to protect their image?

I understand a core message of the evangelical church is forgiveness, but they seem to keep skipping the part of confession and repentance that come before.  And they also skip the part that forgiveness does not mean taking away any consequences (well at least when it comes to this.  Which just makes the ring even more hypocritically, I still remember a lesson about how same sex relations can be forgiven but they must still have consequences.  It’s kind of disgusting when you’ll cover up a sexual assault but openly condemn someone who’s gay)

This youth pastor should be a person the youth and parents in the congregation should be able to trust.  The elders who covered up the assault should be people the congregation should be able to trust.  It’s not just that they had power and abused it, but they were elected to positions because the people from the church trusted them to be people who would do their jobs with care and uphold moral character.

This guy betrays a young girl’s trust, lies, takes her to a secluded area, rapes her and tries to manipulate her to stay silent.  He doesn’t even apologize or ask for forgiveness, his first reaction is to make her be silent about her abuse.  

She has the bravery to take the issue to leaders of the congregation, and they stay silent.  These elders displayed they cared more about protecting an image than protecting other youth in danger of being assaulted by man who not only assaulted a girl, but assaulted a girl while being in a position where he was supposed to be a moral example to her.  That’s a deep scar that’ll never be truly mended.

She then takes it to a group of woman, and even then the elders remain silent, only hushing the guy to a different church in Tennessee while throwing a going away reception for him.  Instead of addressing the issue, they let an abuser go without consequence, without having to face any reckoning for his actions, and thus endanger others from suffering from the same man.

He then continues to stay silent about it.  He only chooses to speak up when the girl goes public years later.  He gets up in front of a congregation, lies about how he handled the situation, and receives a standing ovation because his confession appeared heartfelt.  I’m sick.

As a person of faith I think it’s clear.  The church has no moral authority.  This situation isn’t unique to any congregation or denomination.  It’s in the Catholic Church, it’s in the Protestant Church, it’s with the politicians the church endorses and it’s disgusting behavior.  It doesn’t preach a message of forgiveness and rescue from brokenness.  It’s using that message as a way to cover up and protect abusers and manipulators in power while taking no issue in condemning the powerless.  

And I realize that I am also guilty of protecting those people if I refuse to speak out about it.  What happened at that high point congregation wasn’t forgiveness or redemption, it was an allowance to let an abuser keep his power to abuse.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

^That's why organized religion is bullshit

There’s lots of good from the community aspect of an organized church.  I’ve seen lots of good people do a lot of good work.  And not all of the leaders of every congregation would let something like this fly.

But the fact few leaders within denominations are willing to speak out against this is sickening.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/580193284/amid-metoo-evangelicals-grapple-with-misconduct-in-churchtoo

Maybe it’s because I grew up in an evangelical church so it hits close to home. It makes me wonder if the church I had grown up in ever did the same for a member?  If they ever covered up somebody in a position of power to protect their image?

I understand a core message of the evangelical church is forgiveness, but they seem to keep skipping the part of confession and repentance that come before.  And they also skip the part that forgiveness does not mean taking away any consequences (well at least when it comes to this.  Which just makes the ring even more hypocritically, I still remember a lesson about how same sex relations can be forgiven but they must still have consequences.  It’s kind of disgusting when you’ll cover up a sexual assault but openly condemn someone who’s gay)

This youth pastor should be a person the youth and parents in the congregation should be able to trust.  The elders who covered up the assault should be people the congregation should be able to trust.  It’s not just that they had power and abused it, but they were elected to positions because the people from the church trusted them to be people who would do their jobs with care and uphold moral character.

This guy betrays a young girl’s trust, lies, takes her to a secluded area, rapes her and tries to manipulate her to stay silent.  He doesn’t even apologize or ask for forgiveness, his first reaction is to make her be silent about her abuse.  

She has the bravery to take the issue to leaders of the congregation, and they stay silent.  These elders displayed they cared more about protecting an image than protecting other youth in danger of being assaulted by man who not only assaulted a girl, but assaulted a girl while being in a position where he was supposed to be a moral example to her.  That’s a deep scar that’ll never be truly mended.

She then takes it to a group of woman, and even then the elders remain silent, only hushing the guy to a different church in Tennessee while throwing a going away reception for him.  Instead of addressing the issue, they let an abuser go without consequence, without having to face any reckoning for his actions, and thus endanger others from suffering from the same man.

He then continues to stay silent about it.  He only chooses to speak up when the girl goes public years later.  He gets up in front of a congregation, lies about how he handled the situation, and receives a standing ovation because his confession appeared heartfelt.  I’m sick.

As a person of faith I think it’s clear.  The church has no moral authority.  This situation isn’t unique to any congregation or denomination.  It’s in the Catholic Church, it’s in the Protestant Church, it’s with the politicians the church endorses and it’s disgusting behavior.  It doesn’t preach a message of forgiveness and rescue from brokenness.  It’s using that message as a way to cover up and protect abusers and manipulators in power while taking no issue in condemning the powerless.  

And I realize that I am also guilty of protecting those people if I refuse to speak out about it.  What happened at that high point congregation wasn’t forgiveness or redemption, it was an allowance to let an abuser keep his power to abuse.

These kinds of stories is why I gave up on Christianity years ago, and for the better. At this point religion has basically become a mask for people doing bad things.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

These kinds of stories is why I gave up on Christianity years ago, and for the better. At this point religion has basically become a mask for people doing bad things.

The actual Gospel message is rather inspiring, but it isn’t really preached/practiced by today’s church.  It’s one about recognizing when you’ve done wrong, turning your life around and finding forgiveness.  It’s one about helping the poor and it’s actually a denouncement of the theology the modern church as turned into.

The Pharisees, the religious zealots of the time who used their positions to enforce legalistic rules and used their religion as a system to protect their power, were pretty much the villains of the gospel books.  Oddly enough, the modern church seems to model themselves more after the antagonists then the actual message The Gospel was supposed to be about.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

The actual Gospel message is rather inspiring, but it isn’t really preached/practiced by today’s church.  It’s one about recognizing when you’ve done wrong, turning your life around and finding forgiveness.  It’s one about helping the poor and it’s actually a denouncement of the theology the modern church as turned into.

The Pharisees, the religious zealots of the time who used their positions to enforce legalistic rules and used their religion as a system to protect their power, were pretty much the villains of the gospel books.  Oddly enough, the modern church seems to model themselves more after the antagonists then the actual message The Gospel was supposed to be about.

Which is ironic when these evangelist screams that their so-called Christians, and then go ahead and basically commit crimes, while saying they're doing it in the name of the lord or something (god told me too). I'm a Christian, that's not it works at all. Religion is about compassion, and as you said forgiveness. Modern religion is basically straight up "toxic", and that's really unfortunate. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Which is ironic when these evangelist screams that their so-called Christians, and then go ahead and basically commit crimes, while saying they're doing it in the name of the lord or something (god told me too). I'm a Christian, that's not it works at all. Religion is about compassion, and as you said forgiveness. Modern religion is basically straight up "toxic", and that's really unfortunate. 

Reminds me of all the Christians saying, “Well, King David sinned so that means Trump must be who God’s choice for president!” after the access Hollywood tapes.  Left me going ‘WTF?’ not even knowing how to respond.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Reminds me of all the Christians saying, “Well, King David sinned so that means Trump must be who God’s choice for president!” after the access Hollywood tapes.  Left me going ‘WTF?’ not even knowing how to respond.

This is literally the excuse that so-called Evangelists give in the south for why they keep voting and defending hypocritical Republicans that continue to commit sinful crimes. "At least their not baby killing devil liberals!" 

Makes me happy that I grew up in the least religious state in the country, and was never forced into that kind of cult thinking. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Very well spoken. It's gratifying to see you actually learned the right lessons from it all and escaped the numerous pit falls of modern organized religion. I wish more religious people were this enlightened but the sad truth I learned in life is that most religions(or at least their leaders) aim to enslave and obscure the minds of its followers rather than freeing and enlightening them, it's a true shame.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DAR said:

I separated long ago from what it means to actually be a Christian from those who think they know what it means

What’s worse, is you have preachers and elders with doctorates in theological studies and such that still miss the point lol.

Okay I’m ordering a pizza from a nearby restaurant 

Here are my choices

1.  Mozzarella Provolone Artichoke Spinach on a Pretzel Crust

2 Artichoke Mushroom Onions Olive Sun Dried Tomatoes 

3. Sausage Pepperoni Onion Mushroom 

4. Crumbled Hamburger Bacon Sausage Monterey Jack and Cheddar Cheese Onion and Beer Cheese Sauce

Just now, DAR said:

Okay I’m ordering a pizza from a nearby restaurant 

Here are my choices

1.  Mozzarella Provolone Artichoke Spinach on a Pretzel Crust

2 Artichoke Mushroom Onions Olive Sun Dried Tomatoes 

3. Sausage Pepperoni Onion Mushroom 

4. Crumbled Hamburger Bacon Sausage Monterey Jack and Cheddar Cheese Onion and Beer Cheese Sauce

#2 sounds the best