Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

They should have cut it off before the run to Disney. That would've been incredibly effective.

Spoiler

Here's why I think the Disney run works, and a lot of this comes from my own interpretation: From a thematic standpoint, the fantasy run (It is a fantasy, as realistically there's no way Mooney and Jancey actually managed to run all the way to the Magic Kingdom and not get caught, and they don't even have tickets) would have ended the film on a rough, sour note. It's true that this is the first time Mooney's carefree childhood days are over (after all, this is the first time she cries, when only the adults cried beforehand), and there are plenty of themes in the film about coming of age and fantasy vs. reality, but the film's main theme is the idea of childhood fantasy, innocence, and wonder, and with her losing the Magic Castle, she has to go with another Magic Castle, the one that's homogenous with everyone else in the world.

This not only works as a slight criticism towards Disney and how its theme parks have taken the idea of "fantasy" and "magic" and implanted their own ideas in the minds of kids without them even knowing it, but also gives a bittersweet end to Moonee's journey in a way that is both sad, yet uplifting. Sad in the sense that no matter what, she can never go back to her magical old life. No Magic Castle, no cows, no Jancey, no DaFoe, and no mother. But uplifting in the sense that the Magic Kingdom is still a representation of fantasy and magic. Moonee's new Kingdom is a representation that her fantasy world isn't as permanent as before (she has to leave the park every day), but there's still magic she can find even though she's forced to leave her old world and go into a new one when she gets put into foster care. She can find it through her friends, which is shown through Jancey running off with her, and she can still find a world where she can be happy and live out her fantasy. I do agree that the juxtaposition towards the breakdown and the running sequence is jarring, but that also helps illustrate how the two worlds of reality and fantasy can come out of nowhere, and can completely change the worlds and moods.

If it just ended with Moonee crying, or the CPS workers coming in, it would leave a sour note, and ruin what the film celebrated: childhood innocence. With this ending, things go both ways. Moonee's still going into foster care, will hardly see her mom, and will likely never see Jancey again, but she still has spunk and wonder, and a Magic Castle she can gravitate towards, albeit said castle is only #2. It's the kind of bittersweet ending that really makes you think and appreciate the film even more.

Keep in mind that this is all my interpretation of the film. I'm also somebody who is obsessed over movies that have bittersweet endings and feature themes about childhood, coming of age, innocence, magic, and wonder, which probably explains why I'm one of only 10 people who loved the ending to A.I., so I have a bias towards these kinds of endings that most normies think "ruin" the movie.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I think I've said this take before, but Toy Story is a fine movie and nothing more.  Not sure why a lot of people consider it one of the greatest animated films ever made.

Especially because everyone knows the greatest animated film of all time is Ratatouille