Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

tbf McDonald's is too big to kill. Their popularity wanes depending on what other restaurants are doing, but they are impossible to kill.

As for Sears/Kmart, I'm still waiting for the Sears at my mall to shutter; there are never more than five or six people in there at a time.

Well I somehow just lost that entire post...so I'll just do a cliffnotes version:

- No company is too big to fail, that's law #1 of business. Sears used to be what Amazon is today. But you're right, McDonalds wouldn't just disappear.

- Most companies die or ruin themselves because of their corporate ineptitude, not the competition. Blockbuster, Kmart, and AOL are shining examples. Walmart, Target, Kohls, Best Buy, JC Penny, Aeropostale, etc were heading down the same path, but got rid of the old and brought in new.

- The reason McDonalds is where they are right now is not competition or a cycle, but because they got rid of their tepid CEO and old management, and brought new life in, who's done a banging job introducing a McCafe to rival Starbucks, the dollar menus, $1 drinks, modern and contemporary restaurants, a gourmet menu, (somewhat) better service, a good app and rewards deals, food delivery, and all day breakfast. They are also more transparent about their food and are making their items healthier. 

- Chipotle isn't in trouble just because of the ecoli, but because of the poor way management has handled the ecoli. It all starts at the top.

- Your Sears is still around because they're basically a real estate company at this point. Kmart/Sears still has 700 locations and other assets. Their stores are dead zones, but they're still valuable because any sale includes the land and the parking lot, which are valuable. They're basically waiting until developers give them a high enough offer, then they'll close and cash out. 

- I hate "this store is dead" articles. They're always sensitive and never analyze what's actually going on. They just say "oh they closed 100 locations, they're dead yall!!" Every December they say "this store will cease to exist next year", and they are always wrong.

- Kmart and Sears could come back and thrive, but the old management doesn't care about the stores or employees at this point. They just want to sell their land and play Mexican standoff with developers. They're probably the all time worst management of any retailer.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

- Kmart and Sears could come back and thrive, but the old management doesn't care about the stores or employees at this point. They just want to sell their land and play Mexican standoff with developers. They probably the all time worst management of any retailer.

lol I really like that description :lol: At this point, my Sears probably won't shutter until the mall does. I won't be surprised if my mall gets walled off outside of the AMC and bowling alley by the end of the decade; more and more places like Hallmark and GNC are pulling out.

Edited by WrathOfHan

23 hours ago, Kalo said:

Just wondering, are there going to be any anniversary countdowns this year? I rather liked our 5th, 10th, 20th and 30th anniversary countdowns and it gave me incentive to watch movies from those years.

22 hours ago, grim22 said:

I’m in if Tele is in. Have the calculations down to an algorithm now so it’s much easier for me to get the lists in order.

We could do 1988 or 1998. Both seem interesting (1988 in particular).

• Like 1

Currently on another job search. Bleh. I really wish there were more retail options available:

No supermarkets are hiring

Target isn't hiring (Walmart isn't either but lol @ working there to begin with)

Best Buy just put up new positions but I've already been rejected twice by them

Basically every other retail place isn't hiring

I just want some money! :whosad: 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Currently on another job search. Bleh. I really wish there were more retail options available:

No supermarkets are hiring

Target isn't hiring (Walmart isn't either but lol @ working there to begin with)

Best Buy just put up new positions but I've already been rejected twice by them

Basically every other retail place isn't hiring

I just want some money! :whosad: 

Do you have ways of reducing the money you spend?

Just now, Treeing Me Apart said:

Do you have ways of reducing the money you spend?

I haven't really bought anything recreational in the past two months. My mom I've spent about $40-50 at the movies, but that's it. I didn't even get any Criterions the other day!