Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Isn't that the last major bookstore chain? Sad world we'll soon live in.

The only other one I can think of is Half Priced Books.  And to be honest I’m not really a fan.   One time I brought well over $150 dollars worth of books a good majority were paperbacks.  The guy was like we’ll give $15.  I wasn’t expecting them to match but it was a little fuck that.  

Don't count Barnes N Noble out just yet. Every retailer has gone through this, unfortunate but true. Lest we not forget Sams Club last month. Thing about that is Walmart wasn't just closing stores to close stores, they actually have a plan in place and will still be putting many of those Sams' to use.

Barnes N Noble could've been donezo years ago, but weathered the storm of the recession, Amazon, and the Kindle.

They really have to lower their prices though. Their members rewards are not enough. I buy from B and N every now and then, but it's still too easy to just window shop, find what I want, then go get it with a 3rd party seller on Amazon. 

I can give you a list of retailers that people have said would die by the end of the year, every year since 2009, but it'd be a long list. Barnes N Noble isnt healthy, but I wouldn't dig their grave yet. Same goes with Books A Million.

Also Circuit City's demise was more complex than that, but aw man, great memories. They're coming back believe it or not. Nostalgiaaaa.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

Fun fact: Kmart and Sears have been slated to die every year for at least a decade now, yet are still chugging along. People don't realize, but even though they've been shuttering stores left and right, they still have 700 left, and have enough assets to keep themselves afloat.

Retail and food is complicated. It really is feast or famine, but there are a lot of variables you have to consider. It's not as simple as "close x stores, go bankrupt." Like I said, Circuit City didn't just die because they replaced their employees. They were slower than Best Buy to adapt, couldn't get investment, and they were having major internal corporate problems. People were spelling doom and gloom for McDonalds 5 years ago, and now they're back on the top and doing much better than Chipotle, which people were calling the "new age."

Keep an eye on Barnes N Noble, but I could honestly see them getting bought out before going flat out bankrupt and shuttering. The way they weathered the storm was actually remarkable, and every time I go into B n N, it's pretty busy. Just need to get those people to actually buy the products.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

Just now, Jandrew said:

Fun fact: Kmart and Sears have been slated to die every year for at least a decade now, yet are still afloat. People don't realize, but even though they've been shuttering stores left and right, they still have 700 left, and have enough assets to keep themselves afloat.

Retail and food is complicated. It really is feast or famine, but there are a lot of variables you have to consider. It's not as simple as "close x stores, go bankrupt." Like I said, Circuit City didn't die because they replaced their employees. They were slower than Best Buy to adapt, and they were having internal corporate problems. People were spelling doom and gloom for McDonalds 5 years ago, and now they're back on the top and doing much better than Chipotle, which people were calling the "new age."

Keep and eye on Barnes N Noble, but I could honestly see them getting bought out before going flat out bankrupt. The way they weathered the storm was actually remarkable, and everytime I go into B n N, it's pretty busy. Just need to get those people to actually buy the product.

tbf McDonald's is too big to kill. Their popularity wanes depending on what other restaurants are doing, but they are impossible to kill.

As for Sears/Kmart, I'm still waiting for the Sears at my mall to shutter; there are never more than five or six people in there at a time.