Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Let's get Speed Racer in the top 25.

@Jake Gittes

Best movie of 2008.

2013 would be interesting too. I feel like Gravity's stock has gone down a bit since its release, and now it's a rare recent year without an obvious winner. If I had to guess I'd say Wolf of Wall Street would take it now but it'd be a close race no matter what. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Best movie of 2008.

2013 would be interesting too. I feel like Gravity's stock has gone down a bit since its release, and now it's a rare recent year without an obvious winner. If I had to guess I'd say Wolf of Wall Street would take it now but it'd be a close race no matter what. 

Gravity would still take it because Gravity fucking rules. (Also Before Midnight is the best film of 2013)

Watched both The 400 Blows and The Graduate for the first time today. Today was a good movie day.

Both are really bracingly modern in their technique and energy, you can clearly see the DNA/spirit of The 400 Blows in something as recent as The Florida Project, and Nichols' direction of The Graduate is amazingly inventive and witty without ever crossing the line into overbearing. Although I have to say I got detached from the story in a big way when it shifted from Ben's affair with Mrs. Robinson to his single-minded pursuit of Elaine. Even allowing for him being a doofus with severely misguided judgment that part felt pretty rushed and near-impossible to relate to. Not that I can relate to having an affair with an older woman, either, but that was a much more fascinating dynamic. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Best movie of 2008.

honestly nah i still think gravity would win pretty easily. still a lot of fans around and it's moved up in my own rankings since 2013 certainly.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Probably thinking of DAJK

no I know DAJK works in a cinema, he's done for a while, I thought that as of last year we now have two resident teenage cinema workers in Han as well. 

Oh and best film of 2013 is still Secret Life of Walter Mitty

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

what is wrong with fast food

Parents don't want me working at a fast food joint, and to me it feels like there's better entry level jobs.

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Watched both The 400 Blows and The Graduate for the first time today. Today was a good movie day.

Both are really bracingly modern in their technique and energy, you can clearly see the DNA/spirit of The 400 Blows in something as recent as The Florida Project, and Nichols' direction of The Graduate is amazingly inventive and witty without ever crossing the line into overbearing. Although I have to say I got detached from the story in a big way when it shifted from Ben's affair with Mrs. Robinson to his single-minded pursuit of Elaine. Even allowing for him being a doofus with severely misguided judgment that part felt pretty rushed and near-impossible to relate to. Not that I can relate to having an affair with an older woman, either, but that was a much more fascinating dynamic. 

About time.

2013 will be a fun year to make a list of, for me at least. So many good movies are from that year...

I can't believe I missed the time period to make a list for 2012, a year that has quite a few of my all-time favorites (Les Miserables, Moonrise Kingdom, Life of Pi, Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises, yada, yada, yada).