That One Girl

Pet Sematary | April 5, 2019 | Paramount | Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer (Starry Eyes) to direct

19 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Unfortunately, RT score affects a lot legs for the Horror genre, you'll have to work hard to find a horror movie that had decent legs (2.5x+) that got trash reviews, something that is far easier to other genres, comedies/SH/dramas can always overcome a bad RT score and still develop good legs. 

Nah horrors have always had a rush out factor. They have historically played heavily to teens opening weekend. 

I’m not just talking about the last 5 years, btw, before anyone starts. 

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Reviews impact the OW, but not the legs. Legs are entirely dependant on WOM and demand among the GA. And yes, horror films that got trashed by critics normaly fall off a cliff, but not always (The Grudge for example or The Purge sequels).

However, Pet Sematary is in the 70s on RT and that is totally fine for a horror film. As long as that tomato is red, the reviews wont damage the films potential.

The Purge sequels weren't trashed by critics... They all got mixed reviews and are closer to the fresh territory than the trash territory (sub 30%) one.

What you said about WOM overcoming bad reviews may work to teens oriented movies, since this public usually don't care about critics. But when it comes to adult movies, not even decent WOM can save it, that's why we have a lot more of Horror Rated R flops than PG13 ones. 

51 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Nah horrors have always had a rush out factor. They have historically played heavily to teens opening weekend. 

I’m not just talking about the last 5 years, btw, before anyone starts. 

You’re right about teens targeting Horror movies being front-loaded when they get trash reviews, it usually happens because the bad reviews usually stop these movies from crossing over with adults.

38 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

It's not a fantastic film - it's super bland - but see it for yourselves to judge :)

Sad thing is I was the most positive one out of my group of friends. Everyone else hated it, I just thought it was flat.

Did you enjoy Annabelle Comes Home better than this? I remember you saying this movie was mediocre months ago, and critics reception are reflecting your opinion. How do you think that will be the reception of A:CH?

They're incredibly different movies - it's sort of like asking to compare Freddy vs. Jason to Us. I did like Annabelle Comes Home more than Pet Sematary, but their goals are so different that I don't think weighing them against each other means much.

1 hour ago, ViewerAnon said:

They're incredibly different movies - it's sort of like asking to compare Freddy vs. Jason to Us. I did like Annabelle Comes Home more than Pet Sematary, but their goals are so different that I don't think weighing them against each other means much.

But do you think it will be well received a la Annabelle: Creation? Or it has several flaws that will make critics trash it like TN?

On 4/3/2019 at 1:44 PM, Amorphous said:

I thought reviews were off the charts for this? Convinced my bf we needed to see it this weekend over Us (which I've already seen). Still going but it'll be disappointing if it isn't at least solid! 

So you would actually consider not seeing something because 20% of the critics tell you they didn't care for it?  Wow.  

One thing the original had was an incredible performance by Fred Gwynne as Jud Crandall.  It was one of the reasons this new one didn't appeal to me at first.  I hated how Lithgow didn't even sound like him one bit, but the trailers have me excited for it.  I'll get over not having the southern drawl.  

Sometimes i wish we would live in a time where people just go to the movies they're excited for and see for themselves if they like it or not. This review-obsession in these last few years isnt good i think.

• Thanks 3

PS score keeps dropping. It's at 71% with a 6.4 average from all and a 5.9 average from top critics. I'm still inclined to believe that it will stay in the 60's but what if it drops below that? I still maintain that any RT number in the 60's is good for a horror movie by the way.

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

PS score keeps dropping. It's at 71% with a 6.4 average from all and a 5.9 average from top critics. I'm still inclined to believe that it will stay in the 60's but what if it drops below that? I still maintain that any RT number in the 60's is good for a horror movie by the way.

Obviously can not dream of 30 million in OW

10 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Did you enjoy Annabelle Comes Home better than this? I remember you saying this movie was mediocre months ago, and critics reception are reflecting your opinion. How do you think that will be the reception of A:CH?

I wouldn’t call 71% for a horror remake mediocre. 

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Sometimes i wish we would live in a time where people just go to the movies they're excited for and see for themselves if they like it or not. This review-obsession in these last few years isnt good i think.

Yeh I think long term horror fans don’t care. We’ve had decades of our favourite genre being trashed by critics. 

Different people find different things scary, it’s only natural. But critics often slate films for being formulaic (horror fans love the big franchises, critics hate them) or overlook the fun factor completely (they don’t have to be serious and scary).  

11 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

Freddie vs Jason is my guilty pleasure.😳

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Freddie vs Jason is my guilty pleasure.😳

Freddy vs Jason is a good example. Of course its not technically a "good movie" - bad script, bad actors, bad Story, yeah. But its tons of fun to watch if youre a slasher fan, never gets boring and is very rewatchable. So for me, not a bad movie at all.