aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Pretty good PTA holds for both. SACRED DEER would be wise to cap out around a couple hundred theatres this weekend or next. Florida Project's PTA was virtually flat from last weekend, on the other hand - pretty good chance A24 just gives it a small release in the art circles to build up word of mouth than maybe go wider in January if it ends up getting a strong Oscar campaign.

1 minute ago, spaghetti! said:

Probably will end up with about a 1.2k PTA over Thanksgiving weekend in 400 or so theaters.

I think even that PTA is being generous.

It's been a terrible fall for Amazon between this and Wonderstruck. Wonder Wheel is unlikely to reverse their misfortunes as well.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think even that PTA is being generous.

It's been a terrible fall for Amazon between this and Wonderstruck. Wonder Wheel is unlikely to reverse their misfortunes as well.

I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for Thanksgiving giving it a big boost, but probably safe to say it won't make a dime after TLJ comes out. Will be surprised if it ends up with more than $2m total.

Yay another increase over estimates. Very close Friday(+previews) to Saturday fall that DS had last year (-3.7%). 

DS fell 32.7% on Sunday so if Thor follows suit it will be at 29.9 on Sunday for a weekend of 121 million. 

If it does open over 120 then it will be over both 3 week and week of release tracking. So much for claims of MCU movies being overestimated by tracking

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

A Doctor Strange drop gets it to 29.9M Sun.  121M OW.  I don't think it goes to 125M.

Why would it follow DS path, when it's even holding better than WW did in summer?

DS was kind of new thing, without other MCU characters for a team-up movie. Thor is 3rd entry and has other MCU known characters in it. Expectations are higher for T:R than for DS. I think it's sunday drop will be closer to WW's than DS's. 

And following WW takes T:R to 126,1M

Edited by meriodejaneiro

Just now, meriodejaneiro said:

Why would it follow DS path, when it's even holding better than WW did in summer.?

I want you to go to all previous November films that have opened on this weekend and find one that has dropped 24% or less.  That is what you're asking for to get it to 125M.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Yay another increase over estimates. Very close Friday(+previews) to Saturday fall that DS had last year (-3.7%). 

DS fell 32.7% on Sunday so if Thor follows suit it will be at 29.9 on Sunday for a weekend of 121 million. 

If it does open over 120 then it will be over both 3 week and week of release tracking. So much for claims of MCU movies being overestimated by tracking

Deadline did increase the tracking for Thor3 to 125 in the article it wrote for JL's first tracking (which it had at 110-120).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Why would it follow DS path, when it's even holding better than WW did in summer.?

Summer Sundays are stronger due to no schools on Monday. WONDR dropped an insane 16-17% on Sunday. This one at best will hold to 26-28%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I don't think you guys understand how this works.  It needs a 23.9% drop to reach 125M.  Do you guys seriously think that's obtainable?

Probable no. Possible yes. 

If there were a lot of near capacity showings as reported last night there could be spillover.