Finnick

Weekend Thread | Estimates: T:R 57.08M, DH2 29.65M, MOTOE 28.68M, ABMC 11.47M, 32.4K PTA for Lady Bird (Deadline, p.46) | The box office is good again!

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Lady Bird is still doing astonishing with about a $30K PTA for the weekend. I think this is going places in expansion.

And amazing start for Three Billboards too with an $80K+ PTA. So great to see specialty box office on fire.

Too bad that can't be said for Last Flag Flying, which is going to struggle to make $1M in total at this point.

You've been pretty quiet about Daddy's Home after all the doom and gloom :lol: 

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

You've been pretty quiet about Daddy's Home after all the doom and gloom :lol: 

It is what it is. Meanwhile, it's still gonna lose about half the audience from the first movie, so technically it's still yet another lose for the comedy sequel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

So both Mel Gibson and Johnny Depp had hits opening this weekend. shows you the public doesn't care about an actor's personal life.

Eh, Mel Gibson's stuff was a long time ago, and Depp's abuse wasn't widely reported and mostly forgotten about.

• Like 2

The last few weekends have seen Saturday and Sunday estimates/actuals rise for most movies.  I assume and hope that will happen again today.  An adult-skewing movie opening well, a poorly reviewed comedy sequel opening well, and an R-Rated sequel gathering some legs, and some promising limiteds are signs that the box office really needed. 

3 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

The last few weekends have seen Saturday and Sunday estimates/actuals rise for most movies.  I assume and hope that will happen again today.  An adult-skewing movie opening well, a poorly reviewed comedy sequel opening well, and an R-Rated sequel gathering some legs, and some promising limiteds are signs that the box office really needed. 

Saturday increases likely won't be too high since a lot of people had yesterday off due to Veteran's Day (which is really today but is a common thing when it falls on the weekend, if it's a Sunday then people have Monday off).

Edited by filmlover

Just now, filmlover said:

Saturday increases likely won't be too high since a lot of people had off yesterday.

I don't mean the rises relative to Friday - I mean from what is being predicted based on Friday numbers (though I guess you may mean either or both) but I don't think as many people and schools were off as last year.  Everyone I know had work and the huge school district here in Fairfax County was open. And I live right on the outskirts of DC

8 hours ago, YourMother said:

If I were to rearrange November-December slate I’d do:

11/3/17

Ragnarok

Ferdinand

11/10/17

Murder On The Orient Express

11/17/17

Justice League 

Wonder 

11/22/17

Coco

Bad Moms 2

Shape of Water (maybe)

12/8/17

The Star

12/15/17

Jedi

Greatest Showman

The Christmas slate stays the same.

I'd make a November-December schedule like this:

Spoiler

10/27 

Murder on the Orient Express (dead October could have gotten this to a $32-35 million OW) 

11/3 

Thor - Ragnorak

Ferdinand

11/10

Daddy's Home 2 

Just Getting Started (different audience than DH2

11/17

Justice League 

Wonder

11/22

Coco 

Lady Bird (wide expansion) 

A Bad Moms Christmas

12/1

The Shape of Water (wide expansion) 

12/8

The Star

The Disaster Artist (wide expansion)

12/15

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

The Greatest Showman

12/20

Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle

Father Figures

Downsizing

12/22

Pitch Perfect 3

• Like 1

Thor3 should end up around 53m with an 18.5m Friday with a 15% Sat bump and 37% Sun drop. 

53m would be a 56.8% drop, little better than Thor2's 57.3% drop despite sequelitis and 4 years worth of growth in previews.

A strong number honestly marred by the 60m+ articles by Deadline (61-63), THR (60+), Variety (61).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Around 28m at best depending on Saturday and Sunday's holds. It's actually a lot better then what most of us were expecting it to do. 

I'd love to know how Moviepass is playing this weekend:)...It's now up to over 600K subscribers and it's starting to have a real effect, especially on OW movies...Deadline even commented on the effect last weekend, so I'm hoping they do again this one - you figure every subscriber uses it 1x/weekend (b/c some will use it 3 times and some 0 times, so it evens out), so that's about $8-10M of weekend BO up for grabs...

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

I'd make a November-December schedule like this:

Hide contents

10/27 

Murder on the Orient Express (dead October could have gotten this to a $32-35 million OW) 

11/3 

Thor - Ragnorak

Ferdinand

11/10

Daddy's Home 2 

Just Getting Started (different audience than DH2

11/17

Justice League 

Wonder

11/22

Coco 

Lady Bird (wide expansion) 

A Bad Moms Christmas

12/1

The Shape of Water (wide expansion) 

12/8

The Star

The Disaster Artist (wide expansion)

12/15

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

The Greatest Showman

12/20

Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle

Father Figures

Downsizing

12/22

Pitch Perfect 3

I’d like the schedule. Everything on their would have the advantage to make solid money.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rumpot said:

I don't mean the rises relative to Friday - I mean from what is being predicted based on Friday numbers (though I guess you may mean either or both) but I don't think as many people and schools were off as last year.  Everyone I know had work and the huge school district here in Fairfax County was open. And I live right on the outskirts of DC

Feds were off, though...that is an enormous amount of normally busy adults to add to the pool...

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think they reported that MoviePass made up about 10% of Lady Bird's attendance last weekend. It'll be great if this leads to the awards movies finding a wider audience this year.

Right - that's what I'm wondering - since the 2 openers didn't have bonkers presales, they were wide open for Moviepass viewing OW...so how many folks viewed them early:)...