That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

14 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

From the descriptions of all of this year’s crop of awards films they again all sound horrible. I hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling if I was still a critic I would Scott Mendelssohn the hell out of Lady Bird. It sounds like zzzzz... don’t operate heavy machinery while watching awards films. Best advice IV of adrenaline right to the bloodstream while using LASIK surgery tools to hold open your eye lids ala Clockwork Orange so you don’t nod off during yet another scene about “the human condition” and what it means to “be coming of age,” whatever that fucking means. 

I am keeping my eye out for the first awards film I can read a description of it even and not bang my head into the table as I fall asleep midsentence. “Call Me By Your Name is a beautiful story about a boy who has gay sex with some other guy and that’s pretty much the whole plot and this movie would be boring if it wasn’t for the gay part but did we mention the sex is GAY sex so it’s all progressive and PC and stuff so where are our awards goddamnit?!” 

I think I give up this year. After Manchester and Moonlight last year were the worst movies I’ve ever seen I’m retreating into the past for my critically acclaimed films. Give me Taxi Driver and Apocalyse Now and Clockwork Orange or some old screwball comedies or some film noir or anything really over the SJW crowd PC Police movie slate we get every year. It’s like Groundhog Day if you were forced to relieve a day where you had 16 root canals and got hit by a bus on the way out of the dentist office all while listening to a playlist of Fergie, Kesha, and Taylor Swift’s “greatest hits.” 

Manchester could be a bad film and so to Moonlight, but to the extent of claiming that both films are the worst??

Something goes wrong with your body, your eyes and brain aren't connected.... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Totally. Thought the entire ensemble rocked. He pretty much bored in Lost  City of Z though. Thought he was heavy overpraised  there.

oh yeah he's not very good in that. but charlie hunnam is quite good. surprised me there. but like i said when i saw it though that's an all-timer role w/ a better actor but it just kinda has to settle for being the best charlie hunnam performance instead.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, lielixthe said:

This is really disingenous and not only that, by the same disingenuousness I can point to Titanic and Romeo+Juliet's wins/nominations. Seriously, come on!

It isn’t for me, no. I hate both of those movies. Titanic was great when the boat was sinking and the shitty lust story (sorry LOVE doesn’t happen in 24 hours) finally ended. With Rose basically pushing Jack off a piece of wood so large you could hold a dinner party on it but she outweighed him about 2:1 (not her fault, poor Leo was a twig in that movie at the time). Jack didn’t have to die. Rose just didn’t want to share her large wood. Sorry that came off wrong. I’m sure he had large wood too or whatever, but I mean she was all wet from the... you know fuck it I give up on this description ;)

For awards movies that actually were good, Lion was fantastic, Bridge of Spies was great, and there are always about 20% of them that are legitimately very good movies. It is literally that low. At best 20%. Whereas at most 20% of blockbusters suck. The worse it usually gets is like Mummy which was forgettable and pretty lame but had its moments. It sure didn’t suck as bad as most “awards films” that make your blood boil knowing how much time they just wasted. Do you guys drink while watching these films? Recreational drugs? I’m just trying to find the secret here. Or is it like fast forward through the boring parts and then the resulting movie is only 7 minutes long? :P

15 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

From the descriptions of all of this year’s crop of awards films they again all sound horrible. I hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling if I was still a critic I would Scott Mendelssohn the hell out of Lady Bird. It sounds like zzzzz... don’t operate heavy machinery while watching awards films. Best advice IV of adrenaline right to the bloodstream while using LASIK surgery tools to hold open your eye lids ala Clockwork Orange so you don’t nod off during yet another scene about “the human condition” and what it means to “be coming of age,” whatever that fucking means. 

I am keeping my eye out for the first awards film I can read a description of it even and not bang my head into the table as I fall asleep midsentence. “Call Me By Your Name is a beautiful story about a boy who has gay sex with some other guy and that’s pretty much the whole plot and this movie would be boring if it wasn’t for the gay part but did we mention the sex is GAY sex so it’s all progressive and PC and stuff so where are our awards goddamnit?!” 

I think I give up this year. After Manchester and Moonlight last year were the worst movies I’ve ever seen I’m retreating into the past for my critically acclaimed films. Give me Taxi Driver and Apocalyse Now and Clockwork Orange or some old screwball comedies or some film noir or anything really over the SJW crowd PC Police movie slate we get every year. It’s like Groundhog Day if you were forced to relieve a day where you had 16 root canals and got hit by a bus on the way out of the dentist office all while listening to a playlist of Fergie, Kesha, and Taylor Swift’s “greatest hits.” 

I bet you and Armond White would get along just fine.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Adapted Screenplay is going to be CMBYN, Disaster Artist, Molly's Game, Wonder, and either Blade Runner or Mudbound. The last spot depends on whether they want to nominate a flop or a Netflix movie.

The only locked nom is CMBYN, the rest is pretty open to whatever's hot in two months out of the contenders 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Anyone who claims Manchester by the Sea and Moonlight as one of the worst films they've ever seen clearly doesn't watch many movies.

He watches movies all the time!

Spoiler

Rogue One 47 times in theaters :sparta:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Just now, MrPink said:

I got real invested in the 'Garrett Hedlund - Bland Actor Turned Gem' narrative for a while. Tell me he rules in Mudbound.

i've been on the garrett hedlund train since On The Road which is totally my supporting actor pick for that year. he rules. he's actually real good in Billy Lynn as well. and in mudbound he gets to be good in a good movie too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I think an Adapted Screenplay nod is its best shot at a nomination given how barren that field is.  Although, I personally think it's good enough to be a major player, being a funny book film will be its death sentence.

I love to see Logan to represent SH genre in the best picture field, or at least some other recognition beyond technical categories, but the playing field just suddenly become so congested and my hope on LOgan just keep fading.....

• Like 3

Just now, JonathanLB said:

It isn’t for me, no. I hate both of those movies. Titanic was great when the boat was sinking and the shitty lust story (sorry LOVE doesn’t happen in 24 hours) finally ended. With Rose basically pushing Jack off a piece of wood so large you could hold a dinner party on it but she outweighed him about 2:1 (not her fault, poor Leo was a twig in that movie at the time). Jack didn’t have to die. Rose just didn’t want to share her large wood. Sorry that came off wrong. I’m sure he had large wood too or whatever, but I mean she was all wet from the... you know fuck it I give up on this description ;)

For awards movies that actually were good, Lion was fantastic, Bridge of Spies was great, and there are always about 20% of them that are legitimately very good movies. It is literally that low. At best 20%. Whereas at most 20% of blockbusters suck. The worse it usually gets is like Mummy which was forgettable and pretty lame but had its moments. It sure didn’t suck as bad as most “awards films” that make your blood boil knowing how much time they just wasted. Do you guys drink while watching these films? Recreational drugs? I’m just trying to find the secret here. Or is it like fast forward through the boring parts and then the resulting movie is only 7 minutes long? :P

cap-y-every-time-u-speak-i-wanna-throw-t

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Adapted Screenplay is going to be CMBYN, Disaster Artist, Molly's Game, Wonder, and either Blade Runner or Mudbound. The last spot depends on whether they want to nominate a flop or a Netflix movie.

OR Mudbound? Mudbound is easily getting in over Wonder (haven't seen either but it's obvious which has more acclaim).

Just now, MrPink said:

He watches movies all the time!

Hide contents

Rogue One 47 times in theaters :sparta:

He also probably thinks Marion Cotillard is a bad actress all because of a stupid death scene in a funny book movie like most of the Internet seems to.