TigerPaw

Monday (27 Nov) - JL $2.1m - Down 76%, Coco 2.3M - Down 84%

TF5's bo went through a lot of criticism too. Unlike with TF5, JL fans were damn aggressive pre-release leading to shutdown of the main thread a few times. Not to mention WB's hacky attempt to catch up to speed with another well-planned universe was not looked at fondly. With WONDR already succeeding earlier in the year, taking shots at JL without any anti-DC-guilt became that much easier.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Hmmm I don’t agree.

Infinity War is the culmination of the Avengers story as we know it. It’s what all marvel films have been leading to. 

To open under Ultron would be a shock. 

Sure. But my point is that if Infinity War opening under Ultron or The Avengers, that has little to do with “SH movies fatigue”. It’s a reflection of how MCU as a franchise had reached its peak.

6 minutes ago, mredman said:

well it will play during holidays so i can see this happening. FB jumped to 2.9 on tuesday. Lets see how JL does

I certainly hope that is the case. TLJ will likely completely dominate the box office. I hope JL can stay in the top five and maybe earn a few millions during the two week holiday period. We will just have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

TF5's bo went through a lot of criticism too. Unlike with TF5, JL fans were damn aggressive pre-release leading to shutdown of the main thread a few times. Not to mention WB's hacky attempt to catch up to speed with another well-planned universe was not looked at fondly. With WONDR already succeeding earlier in the year, taking shots at JL without any anti-DC-guilt became that much easier.

That's what I don't get with the bullying stuff. A LOT of movies go through criticism here. All the time. Pretty sure it happened for X Men Apocalypse if we want to go by superhero stuff.

Pretty sure it happened to POTC if we want to go by other stuff (outside of Global). 

If Star Wars fails to do huge numbers, it's going to happen to it too. It happened with Age Of Ultron. I remember that weekend thread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

That just reminds me that potc 5 performed pretty good worldwide. I think, not checked, that it's os is greater than every cbm released this year.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

That just reminds me that potc 5 performed pretty good worldwide. I think, not checked, that it's os is greater than every cbm released this year.

It is in the top 10 (I think 7?) but is about to be overtaken by Thor Ragnorak. I think it's really cool that IT made the top 10 globally (even if it's about to be knocked off). Huge win for non super hero/comic book stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

That's what I don't get with the bullying stuff. A LOT of movies go through criticism here. All the time. Pretty sure it happened for X Men Apocalypse if we want to go by superhero stuff.

Pretty sure it happened to POTC if we want to go by other stuff (outside of Global). 

If Star Wars fails to do huge numbers, it's going to happen to it too. It happened with Age Of Ultron. I remember that weekend thread.

Hell, I don’t get the critics are Marvel shills when both Lego Batman and Wonder Woman have over 90%+ on RT.

• Like 1

Going away from JL, I just hope TLJ is lives up to expectations because Beauty and The Cash Grab needs to be knocked down from #1 both domestically and globally. A film that lazy does not deserve that spot. 

Say what you want about Jurassic World but at least it didn't copy the exact same movie line for line in many areas.

It's a really sore spot in a year of good films.

7 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

173 dom + 622 os = 795 ww

It' the 5th biggest OS so far ahead of all CBMs

Rank Title (click to view) Studio*
Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / %
2 The Fate of the Furious Uni. $1,235.8 $225.8 18.3% $1,010.0 81.7%
5 Wolf Warrior 2 HC $870.3 $2.7 0.3% $867.6 99.7%
3 Despicable Me 3 Uni. $1,032.2 $264.4 25.6% $767.8 74.4%
1 Beauty and the Beast (2017) BV $1,263.5 $504.0 39.9% $759.5 60.1%
8 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales BV $794.8 $172.6 21.7% $622.2 78.3%
4 Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony $880.2 $334.2 38.0% $546.0 62.0%
9 Thor: Ragnarok BV $791.5 $277.7 35.1% $513.9 64.9%
12 Transformers: The Last Knight Par. $605.4 $130.2 21.5% $475.3 78.5%
6 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 BV $863.6 $389.8 45.1% $473.8 54.9%
7 Wonder Woman WB $821.8 $412.6 50.2% $409.2 49.8%
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Hmmm, maybe but it'll be close based on how I see it anyway. I don't think you're crazy but it'll be marginal either way.

Black Panther: $250-300m (could go higher, I don't see less)     Logan: $226m

New Mutants: $100-130m (lower expectations by all on this, hopefully lower budget also) Lego Batman: $175m

Avengers Infinity War: $400-500m (the film to balance the scale of any significantly lower CBM film for the year) Guardians Galaxy vol.2: $390m

Deadpool 2: $250-300m (Crowd pleaser but I expect some drop all the same)  Wonder Woman: $412m

Ant-Man & the Wasp: $200-225m (Crowd pleaser but like Thor & Cap films should increase) Spider-man Homecoming: $334m

Venom: $150-175m (Previews pending, major wildcard here) Kingsman Golden Circle: $101m

Dark Phoenix: $175-200m (wildcard, how does New Mutants do, what do Previews tell us, could go up/down) Thor Ragnarok: $300m+

Aquaman: $200-225m (Previews pending, could go up/down depending on JL holdover thoughts) Justice League: $225m+

Incredibles 2: $250-300m

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies: ?????? ($50-75m)

Animated Spider-man: ??????? ($75-100m)

I'd like to think Teen Titans and Spider-man can hit those lower numbers if TMNT animated can manage $50m. I don't expect Lego style numbers for sure.

If they take off it'll add separation in the positive and make 2018 that much better overall than 2017 and it won't be marginal. 

2017: 2.1 Billion Domestic

2018: $2 Billion - $2.2 Billion

A lot of these are optimistic. Aside from TI2, IW, BP, DP2 and Aquaman, the rest can all go under  $200M domestic, I’m pretty sure Venom and Dark Phoenix have a chance for sub $100M.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Hell, I don’t get the critics are Marvel shills when both Lego Batman and Wonder Woman have over 90%+ on RT.

They obviously aren't. DC superfans are so bad that critics have to comment on this with their reviews and mock the whole idea. It's gotten ridiculous.

But these fans will say "Oh they just pretended to like WW to seem unbiased or because it portrayed feminism in a positive light". It's like whatever, you can't win.

Films like Ladybird don't deserve to be getting dragged down by JL though. It kind of annoyed me to see a lot of people think it automatically sucks in the articles about it's RT score because critics didn't go apeshit over JL. "critics always like pretentious indie boring dramas. they don't understand the regular audiences at all! I never listen to them"

Meanwhile: Ladybird - 4.3/5 88% Flixster score.