TigerPaw

Monday (27 Nov) - JL $2.1m - Down 76%, Coco 2.3M - Down 84%

22 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Animation was dominating last year and failing this year is an example

Also 11 CBMs in a year isn’t good.

We had at least 9 this year.  Two financial bombs and one dud (that will still make around $650m WW) and 4 that will make over $800m WW.

Lego Batman

Logan

Ghost In The Shell

GOTG 2

WW

Valerian

SM:HC

Thor: R

JL

Animation dominated last year because there were a lot of good and great films.  This year - not so much in scale or quality - so they made less.

We've had how many horror films this year?  About one every weekend.  Horror isn't my genre and I rarely watch it but it makes money because a lot of people enjoy it.  On average the better ones seem to make the most money.    

The correlation seems to be people don't get tired of good movies or even genres, they get tired of bad or mediocre movies - regardless of genre.

• Like 1

Just now, Napoleon said:

Weird that JL keeps freefalling. Fans are loving the jokes and colors. Audiences finally got the DC movie they were desperately asking for.

You can be dark and gritty or fun and colourful.

DC just forgot to be good. 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, MrPink said:

First of all, I'm not hell bent on anything, I barely talk about JL's performance, I just happened to here because I saw what I thought was an absurd post.

2nd of all, it was someone else who brought in the FB comparison because he's hell bent on trying to make JL look good by any means possible. I think he needs to admit something to himself first because I'm not sure it's been known to everyone clearly based on the responses I've seen around here.

And for what it's worth, I never thought JL was gonna miss 200.

I don’t distinguish between members of the mob nor take note of how often they post their hyperbolic nonsense.

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

We had at least 9 this year.  Two financial bombs and one dud (that will still make around $650m WW) and 4 that will make over $800m WW.

Lego Batman

Logan

Ghost In The Shell

GOTG 2

WW

Valerian

SM:HC

Thor: R

JL

Animation dominated last year because there were a lot of good and great films.  This year - not so much in scale or quality - so they made less.

We've had how many horror films this year?  About one every weekend.  Horror isn't my genre and I rarely watch it but it makes money because a lot of people enjoy it.  On average the better ones seem to make the most money.    

The correlation seems to be people don't get tired of good movies or even genres, they get tired of bad or mediocre movies - regardless of genre.

11 major Superhero movies (I’m 100% sure Venom which will be the lowest grossing will go over $85M domestic) still isn’t good. Hell CBMs and Animation are damn similar from 2017 and 2016. Domestically I can see a problem.

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Weird that JL keeps freefalling. Fans are loving the jokes and colors. Audiences finally got the DC movie they were desperately asking for.

Yeah. WW did that. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I dont read that much from Mendelson but does he HAS to mention Trump in that article? I know, this is not the politics thread, but it seems strange to me. Guy should just focus on the numbers. 

Yeah, I had to unfollow him on twitter because of the endless stream of retweets and posts about trump.

I'm anti trump, but I don't need that amount of spam polluting my timelines.

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

:wintf:

Yep that’s it. That’s why Wonder Woman is going to practically double JL.

53 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I dont read that much from Mendelson but does he HAS to mention Trump in that article? I know, this is not the politics thread, but it seems strange to me. Guy should just focus on the numbers. 

Its called Trump derangement syndrome.  There are people out there that have officially lost their minds and their ability to think and see things clearly because they hate King Cheeto so much.  I can barely read the news anymore.

K thats enough politics from me for the week.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

I don’t distinguish between members of the mob nor take note of how often they post their hyperbolic nonsense.

Then I would probably stop wildly accusing people of being the mob just because they have something negative to say. It's not done out of some kind of agenda, at least on my part and I'm sure plenty of others. This kind of stuff works both ways. When WW was having its phenomenal run, every day was dominated by lavishing praise on its run which was well deserved, you don't think people didn't get the point on a daily basis? JL is the counter opposite. It is what it is.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 15
  • Astonished 1

49 minutes ago, MrPink said:

*Shrug*

I think the point is, JL is not competing against Fantastic Beasts. It had bigger fish to fry. It became the comparison because FB had good legs and people hoped it could pull a FB type run which is mostly out the window. I'm not even saying this Monday drop is particularly good or bad, but let's not act like suddenly it's going to turn a complete corner. Why should it match FB' legs from here when it already held significantly better than JL on the 2nd weekend and Star Wars is going to be bigger this year compared to last year. It shouldn't be sparring with Beasts, it should be doing at least Thor Ragnarok type numbers.

31 minutes ago, MrPink said:

First of all, I'm not hell bent on anything, I barely talk about JL's performance, I just happened to here because I saw what I thought was an absurd post.

2nd of all, it was someone else who brought in the FB comparison because he's hell bent on trying to make JL look good by any means possible. I think he needs to admit something to himself first because I'm not sure it's been known to everyone clearly based on the responses I've seen around here.

And for what it's worth, I never thought JL was gonna miss 200.

This is a side of Pink that I rarely see.

I like it. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Yeah, I had to unfollow him on twitter because of the endless stream of retweets and posts about trump.

I'm anti trump, but I don't need that amount of spam polluting my timelines.

That's pretty much every celebrity or big figure on Twitter lately. It does get tiresome and I've stopped caring. It already takes up too much of my timeline on social media.

But yeah with celebrities, I just separate their art from their politics. Twitter can be so hateful regardless of what side you are on.