grim22

Thursday #s: TLJ 17.8M, Jumanji 7.55M, TGS 2.1M

Jumanji is performing solidly. Given the slightly divisive nature of TLJ, Greatest Showman's small 2-day opening and the other family films losing screens come today, I think it's on track for a $150 million+ DOM run. It depends on its jumps the next two weekends. Since most kids were in school this last week, it might see a bigger Fri/Sat than expected. 

$2 million

$7.2 million

$7.6 million

$11.2 million

$12.1 million

$6 million

$12.8 million ($29.3 million 3-day/$42.1 million 4-day/$58.9 million 6-day) 

$12.4 million 

$8.3 million

$8.6 million 

$11.7 million ($100.9 million 10-day) 

$13.1 million 

$6.9 million

$12.0 million ($31.7 million 3-day/$43.7 million 4-day/$132.9 million 13-day) 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'd agree if this happened last year or the year before for Star Wars...but it didn't...

TFA didn't lose a show for weeks (yes, special case).  Rogue One didn't lose a show through Christmas.  My locals use more "flexibility" in scheduling and dropping/adding showings anytime they can, even if their schedules are "set." I mean, the one set the schedule at 18 for Dec 22-29 (except the 2 less shows for Christmas Eve and 1 less Christmas)...and then 36 hours later, they pulled 3 showings across Sun-Thur even with no new product being added...

And yes, for blockbusters, especial sequel ones which might start lagging from OW, this is normal.  But it's not Star Wars normal.  And when it's blockbuster normal, you start getting blockbuster normal BO.  Not Star Wars level BO...

But, I don't know...that's fine...probably b/c I didn't post positive news.  That's fine.  Others may value it.

You are telling me that Rogue One and The Force Awakens maintained the same session count from opening night through Christmas or longer?

That is literally impossible.  You have both myself and RTH telling you this isn't correct, so I will leave it up to the people to decide which side is correct here.  Good luck with that.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

You are telling me that Rogue One and The Force Awakens maintained the same session count from opening night through Christmas or longer?

That is literally impossible.  You have both myself and RTH telling you this isn't correct, so I will leave it up to the people to decide which side is correct here.  Good luck with that.  

The same showing count - yes.  The base off the initial weekend was the same for the entire period.  It was that sold out.  This "base" for TLJ was 21 on initial "set" and for 1st Monday (not counting the ballooned weekend shows added last minute).  It's not now...it's gonna be 6 less in a week.  I mean, it's under It, Thor, and GOTG showings in its 2nd weekend.  Most of these "big movies" aren't losing their "set" by weekend #2...this one is.

So, competition is mattering - and that should not be brushed aside...and probably the weaker weekdays, too...

Edited by TwoMisfits

predicts

half of last Saturday = 32 mil

that leaves 18 million Sunday-eve and around 25 Friday, 372 total.  add 28 xmas and about 30 boxing day, then 20 and 20 for Wed + Thurs = 470.  Next weekend could do 20 Fri + 20 Sat + 15 Sun = 525ish.  15 New Years Day, 10 on Tues, 5 on Weds, 4 on Thurs = 559 total. 

25m fourth WE - 584 / 650-660 total

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The same showing count - yes.  The base off the initial weekend was the same for the entire period.  It was that sold out.  This "base" for TLJ was 21 on initial "set" and for 1st Monday (not counting the ballooned weekend shows added last minute).  It's not now...it's gonna be 6 less in a week.  I mean, it's under It, Thor, and GOTG showings in its 2nd weekend.  Most of these "big movies" aren't losing their "set" by weekend #2...this one is.

So, competition is mattering - and that should not be brushed aside...and probably the weaker weekdays, too...

I mean...Empire can be a dick sometimes, but this is the dude's business. If he and RTH are saying that isn't how it works, then I believe the two people who do this stuff for a living.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Misfits, this obviously wasn't going to keep 20+ showings at midsize theaters. Theaters were able to keep It/Thor/GOTG on 4 screens through their second weekends because they had next to no competition. My theater had SW on five screens last weekend, and it's down to three with an extra show on another screen. That's totally normal and expected.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 6

I didn't even bother looking before a few minutes ago, but one thing that surprises me a bit about a box office forum is it seems like nobody really mentioned TLJ had the smallest decline in the top 13 on Wednesday. You'd think it just took a giant shit all over, but I mean if you're going to conclude it has bad word of mouth, wouldn't that mean every other movie in release had worse word of mouth? A movie cannot perform better than its specific window. It's like saying you won a race, but you should have won by more. I mean, sure, it doesn't matter to its final domestic total, I grant you that, money is money. But it sure as to hell does matter in any analysis of a box office chart. You don't point to the #1 biggest movie -- that should be able to fall harder -- and that also had the smallest decline, then say yeah that thing is sucking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

I mean...Empire can be a dick sometimes, but this is the dude's business. If he and RTH are saying that isn't how it works, then I believe the two people who do this stuff for a living.

"I'm no "industry hotshot".  I'm a nobody, but I know for damn sure that 20+ years ago when I first started seriously following the industry I didn't spend my time seeing if my voice could be the loudest in the room.  I spent most of my time listening, reading, learning and asking questions of people that knew more than I did."

That's Empire...  

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Misfits, this obviously wasn't going to keep 20+ showings at midsize theaters. Theaters were able to keep It/Thor/GOTG on 4 screens through their second weekends because they had next to no competition. My theater had SW on five screens last weekend, and it's down to three with an extra show on another screen. That's totally normal and expected.

Yes, if it's not performing like the trilogy predecessor, it is...look at the movies released in 2015 - they made way for TFA, not the other way around.  TLJ is making way for them like a normal blockbuster.

I'm pointing out info that makes the sky high total BO predictions (of which I was one before the actual movie came out) more and more unlikely by the day.

Look at Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday predicts for legs for this movie...we have a continuing down swing...this adds more data for those to take it as they will...some, apparently not so well...  

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

"I'm no "industry hotshot".  I'm a nobody, but I know for damn sure that 20+ years ago when I first started seriously following the industry I didn't spend my time seeing if my voice could be the loudest in the room.  I spent most of my time listening, reading, learning and asking questions of people that knew more than I did."

That's Empire...  

...You do know that doesn't actually prove whatever point you're trying to make, right? Nothing in what he said means this isn't his business, or that he doesn't work in this stuff. And you're so hung-up on Empire you're dragging RTH through the mud, too. RTH who has also said you are wrong. So...again. Who am I going to believe. Them, or the person who kept trying to say "Non-Scientific" polling is as good as "Scientific" polling.

• Like 1

Downsizing's first show finished with 25 tickets here and nearly quadrupled what it sold an hour ago. Walkups on this movie are going to be big today if this early showing is any indication (there's also a good reason why they only open at 9 when a megaopener like SW or BATB is out; so many shows this early sell like shit :lol: )

4 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I didn't even bother looking before a few minutes ago, but one thing that surprises me a bit about a box office forum is it seems like nobody really mentioned TLJ had the smallest decline in the top 13 on Wednesday. You'd think it just took a giant shit all over, but I mean if you're going to conclude it has bad word of mouth, wouldn't that mean every other movie in release had worse word of mouth? A movie cannot perform better than its specific window. It's like saying you won a race, but you should have won by more. I mean, sure, it doesn't matter to its final domestic total, I grant you that, money is money. But it sure as to hell does matter in any analysis of a box office chart. You don't point to the #1 biggest movie -- that should be able to fall harder -- and that also had the smallest decline, then say yeah that thing is sucking.

The other movies increased 30-50% on Tuesday whereas Last Jedi dropped 6% Tuesday. So it's not an Apples to Apples comparison on Wednesday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?view=1day&sortdate=2017-12-19&p=.htm

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

This is flat out incorrect..... and what competition?  What movie is competing on a financial basis (outside of showing requirements) with The Last Jedi?  

• Like 1

Just now, Sand-omJC said:

or the person who kept trying to say "Non-Scientific" polling is as good as "Scientific" polling.

No, I didn't say that...I said I don't put 100% faith in it, just like I don't totally discount the other 100%...but thanks for that one!  Nuance...something often missing on internet chat boards...