grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

So I finally got the opportunity to watch Last Jedi and wow I was floored. I absolutely loved it. Mind you I'm not a huge Star Wars fan so I wouldn't get why the huge fans have hated it but for me that was an A+ movie. I'll definitely be going to watch it again before my next semester starts. 

• Like 5

At my theater, The Greatest Showman's second screen (average screen) got its later showings scrapped on Saturday and Sunday for more Jumanji (the 4:00 on Sunday couldn't be scrapped because seats have sold). Like I said earlier, Showman is more of a morning movie, and if my audience was any indication today, it isn't really skewing to families.

The early Deadline numbers, if accurate, confirm my thoughts from earlier in the week: this year's calendar configuration for the holidays, and the significantly lower percentage of schools out earlier this week than in previous years, made for a week that wasn't comparable to recent years.

Specifically, I hadn't thought The Last Jedi's weekday drops told me much about how it would fare later on, given the different holiday schedule compared to Rogue One and The Force Awakens. The large Friday increase suggests that I was wise to hold off judgement. I foresee some very strong weekdays next week, including on Christmas Day.

Likewise, in response to someone who observed that Coco was trailing Moana considerably on its early weekdays (Monday and Tuesday) and who had said that it would continue to do so, I commented that I expect Coco to close the gap later in the week, again because of the different holiday schedule and the % of schools out. Well, if Deadline's number is correct, Coco has essentially matched Moana's equivalent Friday ($2.9M projection for Coco compared to $2.93M for Moana on the same day). Even if the actual for Coco comes in somewhat lower, it will have narrowed the large gap observed earlier this week considerably. Next week, in full holiday mode, it should have strong days that will tower over its weekdays from this week.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

At my theater, The Greatest Showman's second screen (average screen) got its later showings scrapped on Saturday and Sunday for more Jumanji (the 4:00 on Sunday couldn't be scrapped because seats have sold). Like I said earlier, Showman is more of a morning movie, and if my audience was any indication today, it isn't really skewing to families.

The PG rating on that one seems odd to me. Even if they had to just throw a few cuss words in there or something, I think it would have been better served as a PG13. That's it's target audience, kids couldn't care less. 

• Like 1

Hopefully the 28.3m holds - breath of fresh air after the last few days.

More Gut than anything but I think TLJ gets a minimum of 35m on Monday. 40 was always my ceiling and I can't quite see it making that yet - but with this Friday increase on the table things are in a for an interesting few days.

Also Jumanji is... Ok, for some reason I had thought it might play closer to National Treasure 2 (getting over 200m) guess my expectations were out of whack...

On a side note - hard to believe it's been 10 (!!!) years since NT2 and we all back then assumed we would have gotten a 3rd by 2010 and look where we are at - a wasted opportunity on Disney's front. Will never understand it and will always attribute it to the Stupidity of the Ross Years (remember that guy...) which helped to drive Bruckheimer from the studio.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The PG rating on that one seems odd to me. Even if they had to just throw a few cuss words in there or something, I think it would have been better served as a PG13. That's it's target audience, kids couldn't care less. 

Meh - PG13 is not always necessary. Will never understand the view that more language / content etc makes for a better film because it's more "Adult". If your script has to rely on swear words and sex / violence to be "good" than you are missing the point of what those things are for.

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Meh - PG13 is not always necessary. Will never understand the view that more language / content etc makes for a better film because it's more "Adult". If your script has to rely on swear words and sex / violence to be "good" than you are missing the point of what those things are for.

It doesn't, the point is that the PG13 rating inherently attracts a more adult audience. PG makes it seem like the movie is a family/kids movie, but again it should be trying to go for the over 40 demo. 

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I agree. The movie wants to dive deeper into race issues, and because of the PG rating, they had to keep it super surface level. 

6 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Now that Disney makes only a handful of very specific types of films, I'm kinda stunned that The Lone Ranger ever got greenlit

2010 was quite a different time for Disney, before Avengers release and they just acquired them, it was before buying Lucas Art

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

2010 was quite a different time for Disney, before Avengers release and they just acquired them, it was before buying Lucas Art

Crazy to think the biggest thing they had going for them back then was Pixar and Johnny Depp, and that was kind of it. The WDAS resurgence hadn't even happened yet. 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Watched justice league...at home

Lol well only postive thoughts..welll get to see gal gadot looking hot 

6 OUT OF TEN

She can’t help looking hot, it’s just her breathing :P 

PS: Other post, it’s Lucasfilm not Lucas Arts, which is no more. That was Lucasfilm’s video game division :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Crazy to think the biggest thing they had going for them back then was Pixar and that was kind of it. The WDAS resurgence hadn't even happened yet. 

Verbinski-Depp (he had 3 movie over a billion in just 5 year's for Disney)-Pirates was probably seen has the big asset live action wise (for a good reason) around that time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Verbinski-Depp (he had 3 movie over a billion in just 5 year's for Disney)-Pirates was probably seen has the big asset live action wise (for a good reason) around that time.

But the Pirates trilogy was over. Granted they did already have OST in development. Depp in general was their biggest asset at the time, since AiW inexplicably grossed $1b WW that year, 

Anyone else been following this guy? He posted a very negative article earlier today about how Last Jedi is basically the worst performing SW movie ever, and now this gem defending himself:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/12/22/no-santa-isnt-going-to-suddenly-turn-the-last-jedi-into-a-box-office-miracle/#2d8ab99d3d9b

This should be amusing.

• Like 1