grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

yhblpub.jpg

(this is mostly a response in general to the idea of "director made a choice I didn't like and I don't understand their reasons" = hack)

I want to see how 100% the new Trilogy with Rian Johnson in full control will be XD 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

to me, he is a hack as he purposely made choices leading to poorer film for rather stupid reasons.

Hack:  "a writer or journalist producing dull, unoriginal work."

Maybe you don't like Johnson's choices, but hardly dull or unoriginal.  Is it too early to say people complaining about TLJ plot points not being what they wanted are hacks?
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Hack:  "a writer or journalist producing dull, unoriginal work."

Maybe you don't like Johnson's choices, but hardly dull or unoriginal.  Is it too early to say people complaining about TLJ plot points not being what they wanted are hacks?

No that is a valid criticism as he made choices that have caused a divisive reaction and purposely made those choices.

IMO complaining about a director choices for plot points is a valid critique of a film or a director.

To me he is not a hack, in terms of no talent, he is more a hack for not respecting the fans who make up a vast portion of the people who watch this film. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Calling a director a hack for even one movie you hate though isn’t justified. I think Mother might be the worst movie I’ve ever seen, but Darren Aronofsky is not a hack. He’s actually a very talented director, I just didn’t like a movie he made. There aren’t too many actual hack directors doing big budget work lol trust me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

No that is a valid criticism as he made choices that have caused a divisive reaction and purposely made those choices.

IMO complaining about a director choices for plot points is a valid critique of a film or a director.

To me he is not a hack, in terms of no talent, he is more a hack for not respecting the fans who make up a vast portion of the people who watch this film. 

The point is that's not the definition of hack.  A hack is somebody who produces unoriginal content (as in he steals from other, better directors).  Whether or not you like Johnson's choices, he isn't that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Calling a director a hack for even one movie you hate though isn’t justified. I think Mother might be the worst movie I’ve ever seen, but Darren Aronofsky is not a hack. He’s actually a very talented director, I just didn’t like a movie he made. There aren’t too many actual hack directors doing big budget work lol trust me.

tumblr_p11un2qylE1syptjoo2_1280.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He'll just blame it on Hollywood liberals. It's a coping mechanism for him.

I think Hollywood liberals have bigger things to deal with and faulted with the ongoing Weinstein fallout. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Seems like only response for people who cant deal that this film has flaws and is not seen as the best star wars film 

:P

I mean, the film definitely has flaws and it’s not my favorite Star Wars film. Doesn’t mean I’m gonna throw Rian Johnson off the boat 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I can call him whatever I like, I don't want him directing another Star War movie again.

But that is my opinion but I strongly feel he won't. 

You'll be really disappointed to find out he's getting his own trilogy.

• Like 1