Dark 33Legend of the Sith

MEGA Opening Weekends- The progression through the years

8 hours ago, Taruseth said:

I am a bit confused did you adjust them and kept the order they were unadjusted?

Yes, on purpose.  I wanted to show how ticket price difference could make it seem like a film leaped over another one, but was probably neck-and-neck or even a little behind another one.  Even three or four years of ticket inflation sometimes mattered a good deal.

Feature, not a bug, in other words. :)

• Like 1

On 12/29/2017 at 5:00 PM, JB33 said:

Unless the Jurassic franchise somehow takes another big leap, I don't know what other studio will be able to gain footing at the top of the opening weekend list or any other big box office records. Warner Bros. had a chance with DC but they've bungled it. Fox just sold themselves out, otherwise they could have made a dent with the Avatar franchise.

I think Warner Bros. has the best chance if they can do something big with Batman again, judging by how proven and lucrative the property has been in NA for years. If Fantastic Beasts can elevate the franchise back to Harry Potter heights with the next installments then that's possibly another card they can play as well.

Fantastic Beasts 1 was a film with absolutely zero familiarity in it for blockbuster audiences to attach to, and it still made 814 mil, more than the lowest grossing HP film, 5 years after DHP2's bow. It's already at "Harry Potter Heights".

Edited by Broadwayfreak66

2 minutes ago, Broadwayfreak66 said:

Fantastic Beasts 1 was a film with absolutely zero familiarity in it for blockbuster audiences to attach to, and it still made 814 mil, more than the lowest grossing HP film, 5 years after DHP2's bow. It's already at "Harry Potter Heights".

No it isn't. We're talking about top 5 opening weekends here. When I say Harry Potter heights, I mean like when 2 movies in that franchise broke the opening weekend record. After one movie which opened to around $74M or so, no, it's not at Harry Potter heights.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JB33 said:

No it isn't. We're talking about top 5 opening weekends here. When I say Harry Potter heights, I mean like when 2 movies in that franchise broke the opening weekend record. After one movie which opened to around $74M or so, no, it's not at Harry Potter heights.

Yes, it is. Again, Harry Potter rode off of the fame of an extremely successful book series. 

Fantastic Beasts is something audiences weren't at all familiar with, and it made more than one of the original Harry Potter installments, after 5 years. 

Judging it on what records it breaks is a bit technical and ridiculous, not to mention, unfair. 

Edited by Broadwayfreak66

5 hours ago, Broadwayfreak66 said:

At is height Harry Potter had the biggest opening weekend of all time, and only behind Titanic for the second biggest movie unadjusted ever of the world.

Every Potter entry were either the biggest movie of the year or the second biggest, except for Part 1, that was number 3.

Fantastic beast was out of the top 5, it is a step below Harry Potter.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Barnack said:

At is height Harry Potter had the biggest opening weekend of all time, and only behind Titanic for the second biggest movie unadjusted ever of the world.

Every Potter entry were either the biggest movie of the year or the second biggest, except for Part 1, that was number 3.

Fantastic beast was out of the top 5, it is a step below Harry Potter.

As I've explained multiple times, you don't judge every single film in a franchise, especially a pretty far removed spinoff franchise, by what records it broke. That is ridiculous. 

Harry Potter grossed so much because it was an adaptation of an immensely popular book series. 

In Fantastic Beast's purely original context, it is 100% at Harry Potter heights. Not every Harry Potter film broke a record. This is ridiculous. 

38 minutes ago, Broadwayfreak66 said:

As I've explained multiple times, you don't judge every single film in a franchise, especially a pretty far removed spinoff franchise, by what records it broke. That is ridiculous. 

Harry Potter grossed so much because it was an adaptation of an immensely popular book series. 

In Fantastic Beast's purely original context, it is 100% at Harry Potter heights. Not every Harry Potter film broke a record. This is ridiculous. 

Adjusted for inflation, the lowest-grossing HP movie (DOM) was Deathly Hallows - Part 1 at 330M. Fantastic Beasts grossed 100M less than that. No, FB isnt on the same level as Harry Potter.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Adjusted for inflation, the lowest-grossing HP movie (DOM) was Deathly Hallows - Part 1 at 330M. Fantastic Beasts grossed 100M less than that. No, FB isnt on the same level as Harry Potter.

Counting only domestic numbers is so ridiculously stupid. America doesn't decide what's popular and what isn't. 

The film grossed more than Prisoner of Azkaban, 814 million vs 796 million. 

It is 100% at Harry Potter heights. Stop trying to make weak excuses. 

What the films made in America only doesn't mean anything, lmao. 

39 minutes ago, Broadwayfreak66 said:

Counting only domestic numbers is so ridiculously stupid. America doesn't decide what's popular and what isn't. 

The film grossed more than Prisoner of Azkaban, 814 million vs 796 million. 

It is 100% at Harry Potter heights. Stop trying to make weak excuses. 

What the films made in America only doesn't mean anything, lmao. 

Just stop.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Broadwayfreak66 said:

[mod edit:off topic]

You don't even get it. What you're saying has nothing to do with this thread. We're talking about the top 5 DOMESTIC opening weekends at any given time. Fantastic Beasts has yet to be relevant in THAT discussion. However, I said if Fantastic Beasts can reach Harry Potter heights, aka that level of box office power (at least on opening weekends) domestically, then WB has a shot at a tip 5 opening weekend again.

Just now, Lor San Tele said:

Hot take(?):

The HP cinematic universe (including FB) has no relevance in a top 10 domestic discussion anymore. 

Is this really hot though?

Do you mean all-time or yearly, because it might have, all-time no way. If we talk about the past it does.

If we talk about now or the near future, no way.

HP 8 sits in #30 place dom and #for opening weekend, that is the glorious past.

But that doesn't meant anything nowadays, as FB sits on #90 for OW and #132 total.

In 2016 it was #11 OW and #12 total.

1 minute ago, Taruseth said:

Is this really hot though?

Do you mean all-time or yearly, because it might have, all-time no way. If we talk about the past it does.

If we talk about now or the near future, no way.

HP 8 sits in #30 place dom and #for opening weekend, that is the glorious past.

But that doesn't meant anything nowadays, as FB sits on #90 for OW and #132 total.

In 2016 it was #11 OW and #12 total.

I don't think it's a particularly hot take, but we have some passionate HP fans here who might disagree. 

I also don't think the MCU will ever reach the opening heights of the first AVENGERS again.

• Like 1

Just now, Lor San Tele said:

I don't think it's a particularly hot take, but we have some passionate HP fans here who might disagree. 

I also don't think the MCU will ever reach the opening heights of the first AVENGERS again.

If Inflation does it work we will see another Avenger movie opening to $207+M and I personally doubt that will be IW or A4. But maybe that simply is, because Comic book movies aren't real big event movies in Germany.

3 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

Domestically, maybe. Maybe #10 or #9. Overseas is another matter entirely.

Just now, Noctis said:

Domestically, maybe. Maybe #10 or #9. Overseas is another matter entirely.

You think a HPCU movie will open over $175m domestically? I think that's a really tall hill to climb, especially since DH2 was the capper of the whole franchise conclusion and had the shift to 3D to help its boost.