the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Holy Shit, this Collider weekend report for some of the movies:

http://collider.com/weekend-box-office-insidious-the-last-key/#images

I’m less interested in seeing what happens with The Greatest Showman, the uniquely cowardly musical based on the life of the monstrous P.T. Barnum, which came in at fourth with $13.8 million. If the movie is kicked out of the top five next weekend, it won’t be a moment too soon. My attitude toward the third Pitch Perfect movie, which came in fifth with $10.2 million, is not much softer or kinder than that but all of this is to be expected. With the notable exception of The Last Jedi and next weekend’s Paddington 2, none of these movies have much in the way of substance worthy of contemplating after the credits roll and there likely won’t be a title in that vein until Black Panther and The 15:17 to Paris open in February. Until then, expect the top five to be dominated by movies meant almost exclusively for toddlers and teenagers.

:hahaha::hahaha:

Someone is salty as f*ck.

What a garbage website Collider is

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

That seems pretty low, I hope it breaks out in China.

It could do 75 from China alone. I think China+Japan will do 100+. If that happens thne 850 ww is realistic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MattW said:

From what I'm reading moviepass is trying to emulate the gym membership model where you pay monthly and you go a lot at first but then you keep paying every month without going as often and a lot of people stop going completely. That's the only way I can think where movie pass can still pay theaters full price for people using it to see movies and breaks even.

Problem is going to the gym to work out is work which disincentivizes people from going, while going to see a movie is passive entertainment. 

On the other hand if you add a few more restrictions it could work so that movie pass users are only taking up seats that would have otherwise stayed empty, in which case theaters are making more money even if movie pass pays them less than the full price of a ticket for users. 

No coke, popcorn, pretzels, nachos allowed. Only protein-shakes for Moviepass customers, like the gym.

• Like 1

Just now, DAJK said:

LMAO what the fuck collider. Gotta really nail in the fact that all you care about is marvel and Star Wars? :hahaha:

That guy who wrotes the BO articles is pure comedy gold. Neutral analysis? - fuck that! :hahaha:

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Random, but yesterday during Insidious, a group of 10 year olds threw candy at me during the movie.  Enhanced my experience because that's more cookie dough bites for me

100% chance that one of them thought you were hot

• ...wtf 1

I like this CJohn review of Now You See Me a lot

On 6/15/2013 at 8:21 PM, CJohn said:

I just arrived from NYSM. I am amazed. It deserves all the money it is making. Damn you Baumer foi spoiling me the movie and then saying it was not a spoiler for sure. My body was not prepared for that when it happened! I haven't seen a crowd getting so silent expecting for the ultimate reveal since Inception, people weren't breathing!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

I don't think $10 was ever as sustainable pricepoint to begin with.

Can anyone from the UK chime in?

I remember Cineworld having a program of unlimited movies a month too for a certain price back in 2009-12 when I was there. Is it still running?'

But that was run by the cinema, not an outside company.

I used to work at Cineworld and the Unlimited card is still running. Currently around £17.99 a month will get you unlimited movies, you aren’t limited to how many films you can see in a day and there’s an uplift charged for IMAX (an additional £7 for 3D, £6 for 2D), 4DX, Dbox and Superscreen. If you go twice a month you’ve already got your moneys worth considering the price of an adult ticket where I am is almost £11 for a 2D film. Pre booking is also available but limited to three bookings per account.

Its sustainable for them because they make most of their money from the concessions sales, so more customers visiting more frequently means they get more money from the concessions counter where they charge ridiculously inflated prices.

Most cinemas in the UK now offer a similar loyalty card, I believe Odeon do and also The Light (who are currently the cheapest at £16.95 per month, that’s where I’ve defected to since being made redundant by Cineworld). VUE seems to be the main holdout on refusing to join in.

Now that Cineworld has taken over Regal I wouldn’t be surprised to see them roll out a similar system in the US to try and combat MoviePass.

It’s well worth doing if you go to that particular cinema frequently, but Regal customers and staff should beware, I know all businesses are about the bottom line, but Cineworld just made a large part of their workforce redundant to save costs mere weeks before buying Regal. The CEO only cares about money, the movie going experience is nothing to him or the board members. 

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-box-office-jumanji-insidious-20180105-story,amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

"Next week, Lionsgate opens the Liam Neeson-led action flick "The Commuter," Warner Bros. debuts the family adventure "Paddington 2," and Sony Screen Gems premieres the drama "Proud Mary," starring Mary J Blige."

Hmm..I'm not sure that's true...

23 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I don't see how Jumanji misses 800 ww.

It's on 514 ww right now.

Should add 100 dom (for 344 cume)

Had a 70 os weekend, so should add 140 more os from current markets.

China and Japan together should bring 75 if not more.

That's 514 + 100 + 140 + 75 = 829 ww

Too low the 75 Jap/China. I think it can make 100M+ if not more in China alone.

On the other hand, if this week made 70 intl., considering still holidays in many countries due to the end of Christmas ... i don't see how it can make 140 in those said markets since tomorrow all will be back to normal and drops should be big.