4. Solo: A Star Wars Story

5. Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2

6. The Incredibles 2

7. Black Panther

8. Ready Player One

9. Avengers: Infinity War

10. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Mine are:

01. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (im addicted to Dinosaurs)
02. Deadpool 2
03. The Incredibles 2
04. SHANE BLACKS The Predator
05. Wreck-It Ralph 2
06. Avengers: Infinity War
07. Rampage
08. The Meg lol
09. Mission: Impossible 6
10. X-Men: Dark Phoenix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad Stevens said:

Can anyone confirm the rumor that Star Wars The Last Jedi will drop a record 1700 cinemas this week? This drop would be the largest drop for a week since a film titled John Carter graced the big screens. 

I know the cinema that my son works AMC Mission Valley in San Diego, got around the deal that @Disney made regarding screens. This week they moved Jumanji to the largest screens and TLJ to the smallest screens. Apparently, the deal was screens and not auditorium size.

Wondering if anyone has some concrete evidence in the 1700. 

Now, I've been the one posting that I expected a bigger theater drop than RO, but even this number seems high to me (although maybe those concession sales really are sh$tty vs even other adult oriented movies) - do you know the source for the rumor, b/c I'd be curious...

2 hours ago, Chad Stevens said:

Can anyone confirm the rumor that Star Wars The Last Jedi will drop a record 1700 cinemas this week? This drop would be the largest drop for a week since a film titled John Carter graced the big screens. 

I know the cinema that my son works AMC Mission Valley in San Diego, got around the deal that @Disney made regarding screens. This week they moved Jumanji to the largest screens and TLJ to the smallest screens. Apparently, the deal was screens and not auditorium size.

Wondering if anyone has some concrete evidence in the 1700.

That'd be an effective 'fuck you' to Disney. It'd be both funny and extremely gratifying to see it happen.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 1

Greatest showman being a massive success really shows that critics still aren’t everything. Studios should stop blaming RT for their shitty films failing lmao. If the audience likes your movies it will still get good WOM. 

#1 album on billboard, 90% audience rating on RT, 8.0 on IMDb and amazing legs. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 5

That'd be an effective 'fuck you' to Disney. It'd be both funny and extremely gratifying to see it happen.

The 4 Disney week contract will be ending this Thursday, so theaters can do whatever they want at that point. I do expect the majority of theaters to move TLJ to smaller auditoriums and less screens next Friday with so many new movies coming out on MLK weekend.

Edited by Mojoguy

3 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

That would only work if every movie goer only watched on movie a year.   Also doesn't account for people seeing a movie more than once.

I did try to took all those factor into account. There is around 240m million movie goers, an MCU movie make around 300m, did try to evaluate from those 2 numbers.

41 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

No way TLJ will drop 1700 screens after a $20m+ weekend... :wintf:

You mean theaters. It was playing on 15,000 screens opening weekend. A drop of 1,700 screens is not that big of a deal if it's still playing on 8,000 or so screens. Rogue One lost 24% of its theater count and I would expect something similar for Last Jedi. 

11 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

You mean theaters. It was playing on 15,000 screens opening weekend. A drop of 1,700 screens is not that big of a deal if it's still playing on 8,000 or so screens. Rogue One lost 24% of its theater count and I would expect something similar for Last Jedi. 

I don't know, you should ask the guy who posted that baseless rumor.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Go see Hostiles! It’s fantastic. It really is a great movie. You won’t regret it. Not necessarily an easy watch but it’s one of the year’s best.

23 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Go see Hostiles! It’s fantastic. It really is a great movie. You won’t regret it. Not necessarily an easy watch but it’s one of the year’s best.

You seem to be enjoying a lot more awards season fare than in the past two years 

• Like 1

Definitely! I have my rooting interests with I, Tonya, Hostiles, The Big Sick, all fantastic movies for me. There were other great ones though too I mean I really enjoyed The Post personally and among bigger fare Coco and Blade Runner 2049 deserve some attention IMO. Oh also can’t forget Darkest Hour I really liked that! Just such a great performance. I wouldn’t be opposed to The Florida Project getting some attention. 

• Like 2

Haha well I just have had a pretty special weekend! So I flew to LA because my company is based here (I started it here) and I saw TLJ last night at the TCL Chinese. Such a wonderful theater. Tonight I saw it at El Capitan which was also a neat experience. Mark Hamill gives an introduction and they have original props and costumes and the laser show. Pretty sweet!!

So I am at 16 TLJ viewings. Tomorrow I want to see it at the TCL 4MX or whatever it’s called? It’s like D-Box almost but a bit different. Seeing the movies in LA for me is quite special. We don’t have theaters this high quality in Portland. The detail on that laser IMAX projector at TCL Chinese is just... awe inspiring! I swear people in LA don’t realize how spoiled they are lol.

And little secret, Friday night I met and shook hands with Jon Hamm. Really odd coincidence as I had befriended a guy who said he had a “friend coming” and that friend was Jon Hamm! Crazy. LA is just like that haha. I never come here without meeting someone.

• Like 1