the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

1 minute ago, James said:

I love Grace, I do! She is by far my favorite reviewer, but her BO-prediction skills are so bad. Leaving FB2 out of the WW Top 10 and including stuff like Dark Phoenix and Black Panther? Don't get me wrong, this is my most anticipated X-Men movie ever and I loved Apocalypse, but come on! There is 0% chance Dark Phoenix (or BP for that matter) makes more than FB2 WW. Actually, the only movies hat will make more are The Avengers and Jurassic World, with The Incredibles having an outside shot if OS is huge. But other than that, I don't think any other movie will come even close.  

You're a big HP fan, arent you? :lol:

Im too, but FB2 will be lucky to reach the same level als the first one. 750-850M worldwide is a good target, another healthy win for WB.

The Incredibles 2 has a very good chance at outgrossing FB2 besides Avengers and JW2. Also, dont count out an overperformance from Deadpool 2 or Solo: A SW Story (that one is highly unlikely though, but not completely impossible).

The first FB has a mixed-to positive reception. I liked it when it came out and dont really care for it now though i will definetly see the sequel in theaters. But other people might skip it. Great Trailers will be extremely important for it.

5 minutes ago, James said:

I love Grace, I do! She is by far my favorite reviewer, but her BO-prediction skills are so bad. Leaving FB2 out of the WW Top 10 and including stuff like Dark Phoenix and Black Panther? Don't get me wrong, this is my most anticipated X-Men movie ever and I loved Apocalypse, but come on! There is 0% chance Dark Phoenix (or BP for that matter) makes more than FB2 WW. Actually, the only movies hat will make more are The Avengers and Jurassic World, with The Incredibles having an outside shot if OS is huge. But other than that, I don't think any other movie will come even close.  

That wasn’t her box office predictions, it was her most anticipated blockbusters. She says it in the video.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You're a big HP fan, arent you? :lol:

Im too, but FB2 will be lucky to reach the same level als the first one. 750-850M worldwide is a good target, another healthy win for WB.

The Incredibles 2 has a very good chance at outgrossing FB2 besides Avengers and JW2. Also, dont count out an overperformance from Deadpool 2 or Solo: A SW Story (that one is highly unlikely though, but not completely impossible).

The first FB has a mixed-to positive reception. I liked it when it came out and dont really care for it now though i will definetly see the sequel in theaters. But other people might skip it. Great Trailers will be extremely important for it.

How? Good critical reception, great audience reception. The RT audience score says that. Same with the IMDB score and the fact that it had one of the best multipliers for a live action blockbuster movie in 2016. And the OS holds were more than great. So how was it mixed. There is no evidence of that. I think it will definitely make over 900m WW, with a shot at 1B, especially with the Dumbledore connection finally established. It is amazing to me how people seem to always forget that The Wizarding Wold has the most stable fanbase out of any franchises.  

Edited by James

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

ugh so many super hero movies next year

Which year is it? 2012? 2013? 2014? 2015? 2016? 2017? 2018? 2019? 2020, 2021,2022.........................2089?

This phrase can be applied to like every year this and the next few decades :qotd:

Spoiler

:whosad:

• Like 1

Can anyone confirm the rumor that Star Wars The Last Jedi will drop a record 1700 cinemas this week? This drop would be the largest drop for a week since a film titled John Carter graced the big screens. 

I know the cinema that my son works AMC Mission Valley in San Diego, got around the deal that @Disney made regarding screens. This week they moved Jumanji to the largest screens and TLJ to the smallest screens. Apparently, the deal was screens and not auditorium size.

Wondering if anyone has some concrete evidence in the 1700. 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

5 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

Can anyone confirm the rumor that Star Wars The Last Jedi will drop a record 1700 cinemas this week? This drop would be the largest drop for a week since a film titled John Carter graced the big screens. 

I know the cinema that my son works AMC Mission Valley in San Diego, got around the deal that @Disney made regarding screens. This week they moved Jumanji to the largest screens and TLJ to the smallest screens. Apparently, the deal was screens and not auditorium size.

Wondering if anyone has some concrete evidence in the 1700. 

Yeesh, hadn't heard this. The hold next weekend could get bloody if it's losing 40% of its TC. 

Edited by MovieMan89

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Which year is it? 2012? 2013? 2014? 2015? 2016? 2017? 2018? 2019? 2020, 2021,2022.........................2089?

This phrase can be applied to like every year this and the next few decades :qotd:

Reveal hidden contents

don't even joke about that though.. I've had enough delays already

13 minutes ago, James said:

How? Good critical reception, great audience reception. The RT audience score says that. Same with the IMDB score and the fact that it had one of the best multipliers for a live action blockbuster movie in 2016. And the OS holds were more than great. So how was it mixed. There is no evidence of that. I think it will definitely make over 900m WW, with a shot at 1B, especially with the Dumbledre connection finally established. It is amazing to me how people seem to always forget that The Wizarding Wold has the most stable fanbase out of any franchises.  

Online user scores are utterly useless to determine whether or not a movie is popular among the GA, because they are so easily manipulated/inflated by fandoms. The same with anecdotical opinions of people we talk to online or in real life. The first FB had very good legs, yes, but it also had a lower than anticipated opening and the holiday season to boost its legs. The same OS. Also, i didnt say the WOM was mixed, the reception was mixed-positive. A 74% critics score on RT with a 6.8. average is good enough, but not great.

A common mistake that every fan of a property makes (im also guilty of that in the past) is projecting the own hype for something on a lot of other people that are non-fans. You (and me) are hyped for the retun of Dumbledore, but will that be enough for ordinary moviegoers to come again? We'll see, but great trailers can definetly help.

I dont think it has any shot at 900M - 1B Worldwide. Quote me, if it reaches that later this year and i'll happily eat crow.

Edited by Brainbug

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

ugh so many super hero movies next year

Ahh yes, here this dumb horseshit crap every year. Superhero films usually end up being amongst the best reviewed and highest grossing movies of the year.

[Mod Edit:PLEASE BE MORE CIVIL]

• Like 1

I am curious how well BP performs, we haven't had a predominate mostly POC superhero film in awhile, if it's great it could perform extremely well and have strong legs.  Especially considering Kendrick Lamar is doing the music.

Edited by NoLegMan

This should be an interesting year. January 2018 should have some more hits. Proud Mary could do between American Assassin and John Wick 1 numbers. Paddington 2 and The Post are tough to predict at the moment. The Commuter should do between Run All Night or Sleepless. 

I wonder if Jumanji can actually stay flat for next weekend's 4-day MLK weekend compared to this weekend? Sing only dropped 8% from this weekend to its 4-day MLK weekend, and Jumanji has dropped considerably better this weekend than Sing did. Though, this is perhaps because of the calendar and many schools not being back in session until tomorrow (Jan 8th), making for a somewhat inflated weekend (and obviously week) than would usually be.

Even then, it looks to me that Jumanji is likely to hop and skip right over Thor: Ragnarok ($312.5M), IT ($327.5M), and Spider-Man: Homecoming ($334M) to enter the top 5 grossing films of 2017. That is pretty remarkable. If it continues having exceptional legs, could it even hit the $350 million mark?

Peace,

Mike

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Online user scores are utterly useless to determine whether or not a movie is popular among the GA, because they are so easily manipulated/inflated by fandoms. The same with anecdotical opinions of people we talk to online or in real life. The first FB had very good legs, yes, but it also had a lower than anticipated opening and the holiday season to boost its legs. The same OS. Also, i didnt say the WOM was mixed, the reception was mixed-positive. A 74% critics score on RT with a 6.8. average is good enough, but not great.

A common mistake that every fan of a property makes (im also guilty of that in the past) is projecting the own hype for something on a lot of other people that are non-fans. You (and me) are hyped for the retun of Dumbledore, but will that be enough for ordinary moviegoers to come again? We'll see, but great trailers can definetly help.

I dont think it has any shot at 900M - 1B Worldwide. Quote me, if it reaches that later this year and i'll happily eat crow.

I can see $900M at most. I don’t think audiences in America that much tbh.

On 06/01/2018 at 10:20 AM, a2knet said:

Looks like it! Spotlight (journalism theme) did 45 odd (boosted by awards) and the previous Spielberg-Hanks collaboration BoS did 72. I think Post will beat their combined cume, 117 odd, Streep helping a lot in that. But wonder if it can pull off an epic Hidden Figures like run, which would be really fun to follow.

I think if it wins Best Picture-Drama at the Golden Globes, it should help its OW!

1 hour ago, MikeQ said:

I wonder if Jumanji can actually stay flat for next weekend's 4-day MLK weekend compared to this weekend? Sing only dropped 8% from this weekend to its 4-day MLK weekend, and Jumanji has dropped considerably better this weekend than Sing did. Though, this is perhaps because of the calendar and many schools not being back in session until tomorrow (Jan 8th), making for a somewhat inflated weekend (and obviously week) than would usually be.

Even then, it looks to me that Jumanji is likely to hop and skip right over Thor: Ragnarok ($312.5M), IT ($327.5M), and Spider-Man: Homecoming ($334M) to enter the top 5 grossing films of 2017. That is pretty remarkable. If it continues having exceptional legs, could it even hit the $350 million mark?

Peace,

Mike

It will be hard with the weak Friday (this past Friday was pretty much a holiday everywhere between schools out for holiday and cold) and the family opener competition...I mean, I wouldn't bet against J, but I'd say Sing's drop is probably its goal (and that's a high goal to meet - not sure it can get there), not a 0% drop...

Most anticipated blockbusters/big budget movies for 2018

1. Deadpool 2

2. Mary Poppins Returns

3. First Man

4. Solo: A Star Wars Story

5. Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2

6. The Incredibles 2

7. Black Panther

8. Ready Player One

9. Avengers: Infinity War

10. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

• Like 1